Jon-Tech
Jon-Tech, IS Manager
Experience:  20 yrs: Computers, Networking
62326695

I have an Iomega 1tb eGo model RPHD-UG3. I have had it for

I have an Iomega 1tb eGo model RPHD-UG3. I have had it for about 8 months and all of a sudden today my computer does not recocognize the encrypted drive. I can see the drive with setup file for the encryption but not the rest. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jon-Tech replied 2 years ago.

Jon-Tech :

Hi... I'm Jon. I look forward to assisting you. Please Press CTRL + D to mark this page.

Jon-Tech :

hello?

Customer:

Hi Jon

Jon-Tech :

can you provide me the operating system you are using on your computer - Window7, XP, MAC OS?

Customer:

W7

Jon-Tech :

Thank you.

Jon-Tech :

Do you have another computer available that is windows 7 or XP?

Customer:

Yes

Jon-Tech :

The Iomega is a USB drive correct?

Customer:

Yes

Jon-Tech :

are you using the same commuter the USB drive is connected too?

Customer:

Yes

Jon-Tech :

did you use Iomega software to encrypt the data?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

It is software that comes loaded on the drive, it encrypts a second drive that is invisible without entering the password

Jon-Tech :

ok, thank you - can you access the software on the drive?

Customer:

Only the setup software that doesn't do anything except set the preferences; startup with windows, minimized etc.

Jon-Tech :

ok please hold while I check on something.

Customer:

ok, I need to do something for a couple of minutes

Jon-Tech :

one sec please

Jon-Tech :

can you give me the model number - it should be sometime like 35054

Customer:

Hi

Jon-Tech :

if you need to go and come back later no problems - I'll continue to look for your solution and give you an update.

Customer:

ok

Jon-Tech :

when you get a chance please confirm the model number as there are several version of the drive and getting the info right is important. - Thanks Jon

Customer:

the model # XXXXX the is RPHD-UG3 1Tb

Jon-Tech :

Thanks - Iomega does show that as a model, is the drive a usb 2.0 or 3.0?

Jon-Tech :

can you tell me where you purchased it?

Customer:

london Drugs in Vancouver BC

Jon-Tech :

can you copy a file to / from the drive or is the entire drive encrypted?

Customer:

I found the box, usb 3, eGo 1Tb super tough and no, the whole drive is corrupted.

Jon-Tech :

ok thanks - sorry this is taking so long - just want to get the right drive.

Jon-Tech :

are you running w7 64 bit or 32 bit?

Customer:

64 bit, I went next door and tried it on another W7 machine and it works!

Jon-Tech :

was the other machine a 32 bit?

Jon-Tech :

Some Iomega drives support 2.0 USB and some support specific versions of windows

Customer:

not sure, do you want me to go check?

Customer:

This device has been working perfectly on this machine for 7 months

Jon-Tech :

before you go next door we need to know two things about each computer

Jon-Tech :

your computer is W7 64 bit, is your computer 3.0 or 2.0 USB, is your neighbors computer 3.0 or 2.0 usb and is it 32 or 64 bit

Jon-Tech :

once we have this info then we can identify the problem and solution

Jon-Tech :

Sometimes a windows update can be installed automatically and cause unforeseen complications, so once we know the USB version and OS version then we can look at the last updates and determine if that is the cause.

Customer:

how do you tell if it is 2.0 or 3.0

Jon-Tech :

should be able to go to control panel. system and see the USB version...

Jon-Tech :

I'm firing up my W7 machine right now to confirm, in the mean time you said the drive works on your neighbors PC but not yours, correct?

Customer:

That is correct

Customer:

and I can't find anything in the USB area in system devices that says anything about the version

Jon-Tech :

no problem hang on a sec and I will get that for you...

Jon-Tech :

still looking -

Customer:

my neighbours computer is 64 bie as well

Jon-Tech :

sorry that it's taking so long - there is no easy way to determine USB port version...

Jon-Tech :

have you tried to disconnect your Iomega drive from your computer, turn it off, then shut down your computer with the drive connected but not on, then turn on the drive and see what the plug and play balloon window says?

Jon-Tech :

Oh... I need to ask you, did you connect your USB drive to the front or back of your computer?

Customer:

no, I haven't. I have re-booted but not that way, I will try it. When I am done and I will re-connect with you.

Jon-Tech :

yes but 1st - is the drive connected to the front or back of your computer? the front USB ports do not provide power, the back ones do...

Customer:

It is a notebook, and there is no problem with power.

Jon-Tech :

ok then lets have you try the process I mentioned.

Customer:

I did it, no change and then I un=installed the software re-installed it, re-booted anf now it works.

Customer:

Thank you

Jon-Tech :

so it is working ok now?

Customer:

Yes, I have to go now, how to I finish this so you get paid?

Jon-Tech :

just click the accept button, and thank you!

Customer:

Your welcome, enjoy the rest of the day.

Customer:

Lorne

Jon-Tech, IS Manager
Experience: 20 yrs: Computers, Networking