prfpcdoctor
prfpcdoctor, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  I am a technical leader for a large manufacturing company. MCP, CCA. CCNA , CNA.

Red hat linux 5.4 when the NIS user try to login, the user

Red hat linux 5.4 when the NIS user try to login, the user get blacks screen for couple of minutes then the system return to the login screen again. The root user can login locally.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John H replied 2 years ago.

John H :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John. When possible, please post the answers to the following:

* Is this 32 or 64-bit RedHat? (type the command "arch" to determine this information)

John H :

* Please post information relevant to NIS from /var/log/messages (grep -i yp* /var/log/messages)

John H :

* Please post results of the following command:
cat /etc/hosts
cat /etc/sysconfig/network

John H :

cat /etc/ypserv.conf
cat /var/yp/securenets

John H :

Please let me know what the result is for this command:
service portmap status
service ypserv status
service yppasswd status
chkconfig --list | grep portmap

John H :

ps aux | grep yp

Customer:

hello sorry for the delay,

Customer:

I'm so sorry for the delay but, I can not post all these information due to the security policy.

Customer:

cat /etc/hosts
# XXXXX not remove the following line, or various programs
# XXXXX require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=no
HOSTNAME=xyz
NISDOMAIN=xyz

cat /var/yp/securenets
cat: /var/yp/securenets: No such file or directory

service portmap status
portmap (pid 4052) is running...

service ypserv status
ypserv is stopped

service yppasswd status
yppasswd: unrecognized service

chkconfig --list | grep protmap

Customer:

This what I can post.

John H, Windows/Linux/VMware Sysadmin
Experience: Well versed in Windows, Mac, Unix/Linux & enterprise software.
Expert:  prfpcdoctor replied 2 years ago.
Hi Are you using gnome desktop or kde desktop? Can you log in as root then open a terminal in that terminal type "su username" (without quotes and username = nis username)
This should give you a prompt as the nis user if it is working correctly. Type ls or something to make sure you can see the libraries.
To make sure you can see the nis server type the following:

ypwhich (this should tell you your nis master server)
ypcat passwd | grep username (put in the nis user you wish to see it should show you his line in the nis passwd file)

Also have you edited the /etc/nsswitch.conf file? You need to add the word nis to the end of the lines saying passwd, group, & shadow.

If you type service ypbind status it should show you that ypbind has started.

Let me know how that goes for you.
Experience: I am a technical leader for a large manufacturing company. MCP, CCA. CCNA , CNA.
Hi how did you get on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes many thanks for the help and I'm sorry for the delay.