Daniel, Certified Technician
Experience:  10 Years of computer support hands on
64443469

I have XP Home edition & use outlook express for email. I am

I have XP Home edition & use outlook express for email. I am unable to send or forward email and receive error 0x800CCC69.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Daniel :

Thanks for choosing Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Daniel :

Hello how long has the problem been occuring?

Customer:

This AM

Daniel :

Did you recently update or install a new program?

Customer:

Yes - Outlook Express - 2 days ago. Was OK until this AM when I tried to create an association with Power Point viewer to allow viewing of PPS files in email. Association failed.

Daniel :

The error is about a firewall program

Daniel :

You may contact Zero-Knowledge Systems Inc. if you require help in configuring the firewall in Freedom program so that it is compatible with Outlook and Outlook Express.

The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Daniel :

This issue may occur if the firewall settings in the Freedom program from Zero-Knowledge Systems Inc. are not configured correctly on your computer.

Daniel :

So what we can do is disable the freedom firewall program

Daniel :

Do you have this program installed on the PC?

Customer:

Where do I look to find it?

Daniel :

This normally will be under the program list

Daniel :

Go to start than programs

Daniel :

It will be called freedom or zero knowledge systems

Customer:

Not installed. Is this sometning I must purchase?

Daniel :

No this is something running which is causing the error. Are you chatting on the same PC now?

Customer:

Did you get my reply?

Daniel :

Customer:

Yes

Daniel :

One moment

Daniel :

Just to verify the code 0x800CCC69 than what does it say along with the code?

Customer:

One moment "Your email is not using a proper character set. Please correct this (try setting your email program to use plain text) and resend your message." Port:25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:550, Error Number 0x800CCC69.

Daniel :

You are also using a server that expects SMTP Authentication. In OE/WLM his is specified in Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties, Servers,Outgoing Mail Server, My Server Requires Authentication. (If theIncoming Mail Server Account Name and Password XXXXX this are not for your ISP mail account, click the Settings button and fill your ISP settings there.) Specifying SMTP port 587 may also be required on the Advanced tab.

Customer:

Port 25 was showing. I changed to 587 as suggested. What does this mean?

Daniel :

This is the way it communicates

Daniel :

See if it makes a difference

Daniel :

Should work now

Customer:

Hang on I'll try now. - Failed - same message

Daniel :

said port 25?

Customer:

yes

Daniel :

Go back into the settings

Daniel :

I may not have saved 587

Customer:

Nope - outgoing mail (SMTP) is 587

Daniel :

Ok for some reason it has yet to update we may need to restart the program completely

Customer:

OK will restart now

Daniel :

Ok i will be here when you get back

Customer:

Do I need to restart my computer? If so, how do we reconnect?

Daniel :

You can bookmark the page

Daniel :

then when you come back just come to the above link

Daniel :

Or just go to justanswer.com and login

Daniel :

You also get a email from out chat you can go to the link there

Customer:

I'll go to the email link when I get back in. - Jim

Daniel :

Sure thing..

Customer:

Sorry Daniel - no change

Daniel :

Same error code something is corrupt with the mail account

Daniel :

We will need to completely remove the account and readd

Daniel :

Remove an Email Account from Windows Live Mail, Windows Mail or Outlook Express

To delete an email account from Windows Live Mail, Windows Mail or Outlook Express:

• Select Tools | Accounts... from the menu.

• In Windows Live Mail, hold down the Alt key if you cannot see the menu bar.

• In Outlook Express and Windows Mail, go to the Mail tab.

• Highlight the account you want to delete.

• Click Remove.

• Click Yes.

• Now click Close.

Customer:

OK just removed internet account. Pls help me readd.

Daniel :

What is the internet account you are using

Daniel :

yahoo, msn?

Customer:

Windows Internet Explorer

Daniel :

That is not the email you use

Daniel :

it should be a username @ domain name . dot com

Daniel :

it will not allow you to type it in for privacy of your username

Daniel :

I only need to know the last part after the @

Customer:

seasidehighspeed.com

Daniel :

Mail Server Settings

• Incoming: pop.uniserve.com

• Outgoing: mail.uniserve.com

Personal Web Server Settings

• Upload to: mypage.uniserve.com

• View at: mypage.uniserve.com/~username

Residential Domain Server Settings for Uniserve and Legacy Domains

• Pri: 216.113.192.3

• Sec: 216.113.192.4

Daniel :

How to add an Email Account on Outlook Express

1. Open Outlook Express

2. On the Tools menu, click Accounts

3. In the Internet Accounts dialog box, click Add, then select Mail.

4. Internet Connection Wizard will open; type your name, then click Next.

5. Type your email address, then click Next.

6. For "My Incoming mail server is a" select POP3.

7. For "Incoming mail server" (POP 3), type: mail.yourdomain.com. (Replace yourdomain.com with your real domain name)

8. If you use a Comentum Internet Connection: For "Outgoing mail server" (SMTP), type: mail.yourdomain.com

9. If you use Another Internet Connection (SBC, Road Runner, AOL, etc.): For "Outgoing mail server (SMTP server)", use your current Internet connection's SMTP server information. Call your Internet connection company if you don't know that information.
    Additional SMTP Settings Information

10. For "Account Name", type your email address for example (joe@yourdomain.com)

11. For "Password" type in your password, check "Remember Password" and click Next.

12. Click on Finish and Close.

Customer:

I think I did it all. Send me a test email please.

Daniel :

We cant email from here

Daniel :

Privacy issues

Daniel :

But you can send yourself a email

Daniel :

just compose enter the information and send

Customer:

OK I'll send myself one.

Daniel :

ok

Customer:

I can send & receive emails but I now get a message "one or more messages in your outbox do not have a valid specified account. would you like to use your default account to send these messages?" When I hit yes, they go. How do I find my default account to readd?

Daniel :

It will have a option to set as default

Daniel :

tools account

Daniel :

than the mail tab

Daniel :

on the right it shows set to default

Daniel :

If I have been helpful please take a moment to press the accept button let me know if I can help further

Customer:

Now when I check my outbox, the original error message is back and 3 messages are still sitting there!!

Daniel :

Are these the old messages?

Daniel :

If so you must right click and delete these messages

Customer:

Do you have any more ideas?

Daniel :

It will keep the old messages that failed

Daniel :

If this is still not working do a system restore

Daniel :

this will remove all the bad stuff you will than have to re setup the account 1 more time but it will all be fixed

Daniel :

But if its sending and receiving emails its working and they are old errors

Daniel :

system restore is easy

Daniel :

To use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state, follow these steps:

1. Log on to Windows as an administrator.

2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

3. On the Welcome to System Restore page, click to select the Restore my computer to an earlier time option, and then click Next.

4. On the Select a Restore Point page, click the most recent system restore point in the On this list, click a restore point list, and then click Next.
    Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.

5. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.

6. Log on to the computer as an Administrator. Then click OK on the System Restore Restoration Complete page.

If you successfully restored your computer to a previous state, and the computer performs as expected, you are finished.

Daniel :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Daniel :

This is how its done

Daniel :

the link above is the reference

Daniel :

Do this it will do the trick unless there is a issue with the mail server being down

Daniel :

If I have helped please press accept

Daniel :

You can always return if needed at no cost

Daniel :

This is the only way I get any compensation to be on the site

Daniel :

Good Luck

Daniel :

Customer:

I won't know if you've helped until I complete the restore. At this point, I'm no further ahead than when I started at 7:54 and this is not acceptable. I have the link & will reconnect later. I don't expect to pay for no results since satisfaction is guaranteed, correct?

Daniel :

Sure

Daniel :

Thanks

Customer:

Hello again Daniel. The restore seems to have worked. Thank you. This is acceptable. I still require assistance as I still cannot open PPS emails even though I have Powerpoint viewer have set up an association in the folder options. Can you help with this?

Daniel :

Did you get the restore completed

Customer:

Yes.

Daniel :

Are you getting the same error

Daniel :

There is a special fix for the pps in xp

Customer:

No error messages except when attempting to open PPS emails. I'm asked to create an association which I have done.

Daniel :

Download PPSFix.zip (~12 KB).

Daniel :

click the above on the hyper link text

Daniel :

this is a zip so you will download than install

Customer:

Acknowledged.

Daniel :

Good now?

Customer:

I still get the message. My OE closes down randomly now as it's not recognizing the new IP account & is looking for a POP3. I will try to restart now.

Daniel :

ok

Customer:

I still can't open PPS attachments - same message. Also: "Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Error signature: AppNmame: msimn.exe....AppVer 6.0.2900.5512....Modname:msvcrt.dll.....Ver:7.0.2600.5512....offset: 00372.03

Daniel :

This is a issue with the program itself

Daniel :

XP and outlook are just not what they used to be

Customer:

If I reload MS Office & use MS Outlook will this work?

Daniel :

You only need to reload outlook

Daniel :

This is how its done

Customer:

Did that - restarting as directed.

Daniel :

ok

Customer:

Still can't open PPS. I will work on it myself. Thanks for your time & patience.

Daniel, Certified Technician
Experience: 10 Years of computer support hands on