Carl
Carl, Computer Expert
Experience:  Working in the computer and IT field for 15 years.
64992156

My computer monitor cuts off about an inch of screen on the

Customer Question

My computer monitor cuts off about an inch of screen on the right side and the control panel choices on my Dell computer do not help me. When the right side is being cut off, I can't see the beginning letters of emails. At other times, the inch being cut off is on the left side. This helps with emails, but is annoying. What do I need to do.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Carl replied 2 years ago.

Carl :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name isXXXXX can I be of assistance to you?

Carl :

What happened when you changed the resolution? Did you change it up or down. For example did you go from 1024x768 to 1280x1024? Also what type of monitor do you have? LCD / CRT Make/Model?

Customer:

The inch on the right stayed there. If the inch is on the left, I can logout and restart the computer and it will move back to the right side.

Customer:

My monitor is an LCD type about 5 years old.

Carl :

ok

Carl :

One moment

Carl :

What is the make model of your lcd monitor?

Customer:

I am looking for it on the monitor.

Carl :

It is probably in small print on the back

Customer:

I am not having any luck seeing the information because the flexible hinge is in front of it. Let me see if I can find any paper work from my purchase.

Carl :

Ok.

Carl :

The reason I need it is so I can attempt to walk you through performing a reset on the monitor itself.

Customer:

I found the CD that came from the original box. It is a SyncMaster TFT-LCD Monitor. There is a number at the bottom of the CD also. It is BN59-00554B-00.

Carl :

Samsung monitor?

Customer:

Yes

Carl :

What size do you know?

Customer:

About 14 inches.

Carl :

One moment

Carl :

Do you have a set of buttons on the monitor similar to this? Samsung Monitor

Customer:

No

Carl :

Ok. The idea here is to force your monitor to auto adjust. But without the model number or serial number I cannot adequately walk you through the steps. Is there any way you can look again?

Customer:

My computer is a Dell XPS and is only about a month old. This problem developed about two weeks ago. The computer that I had with the monitor before was an HP, which had a hard disk crash. I am wondering, if I insert the CD from Samsung, will that give us the information we need?

Carl :

It may. You can try.

Customer:

It is a 971P. It is a 19 inch monitor. Optimum resolution is 1280 x 1040.

Carl :

k one moment

Customer:

Do I have a compatibility issue between a monitor that appears from the CD to be Windows XP and a computer that is Windows 7?

Carl :

Ok found the info

Carl :

Try this per Samsungs websitte:

Carl :

971P Perform An Auto Adjustment

If the desktop image on your monitor extends beyond the left and/or right edge, this may be due to an incorrect monitor setting.

To Perform An Auto Adjustment

To perform an Auto Adjustment, follow these steps:

1. Power on your monitor, and boot up your computer.

2. Press the [Auto] button on your monitor.

3. The Auto Adjustment indicator appears. When the Auto Adjustment window disappears, the auto adjusting process is complete.

The Auto Adjustment feature automatically adjusts the fine, coarse and position on your monitor to the incoming video signal.

Customer:

Okay. Let me look for the Auto button

Carl :

ok

Customer:

I found one button that goes to Magic Bright and has text, game, custom, internet options. It does not do anything for the black stripe.

Carl :

ok

Carl :

Did you go through the menus. You want to perform an auto adjust or factory reset. Do you see those options?

Carl :

Another thing to try is to check your cable on both ends of monitor. This is the cable that connects directly to the pc. So disconnect both ends and reconnect them to ensure they are secure. Can you try this?

Customer:

If I understand the CD instructions, I have to download and install to accommodate Windows XP. That is why I asked about compatibility. My Harmony remote for the TV is Windows XP based and can not accept newer Windows systems. I am concerned about downloading this CD. Will it cause other problems?

Carl :

It could. I would not do that. Let us try the simpler approach. Check the cables as suggested. Generally speaking the default drivers used for windows 7 is more than sufficient to operate your monitor. It is highly likely this is a hardware issue. But I am trying to rule out the obvious first.

Customer:

Okay, let me check the cables.

Carl :

ok

Customer:

The cables are securely in place. It sounds like I need a new monitor.

Carl :

Well there is one more thing if you have the stuff to try. Do you have another video cable or another pc to test your monitor on?

Customer:

No, I don't have.

Carl :

By connecting it to another pc this would tell us if it is your monitor or not for sure. For example if you connect it to another pc and it still does it than the issue is your monitor and likely needs to be replaced.

Customer:

Okay, I will try to borrow a friend's pc and check it out. I appreciate your help. The stripe is an annoyance and I probably should have replaced the monitor when I replaced the computer.

Carl :

One more thing

Carl :

If you have the chance to test it please come back and let me know. You can book mark this page to revisit. If this resolves your question, then please click accept. Thank you. Best of luck.

Carl, Computer Expert
Experience: Working in the computer and IT field for 15 years.