John, Computer Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE
50152684

Hi, I have a toshiba laptop satellite c655 and it wont boot.

Hi, I have a toshiba laptop satellite c655 and it won't boot. I check the battery and it charges when I plug it in mouse and keyboard and cd rom works. Please help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

cyball83 :

Hello and Welcome to Just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you today

cyball83 :

Hello sir can you please tell me the full model number of the laptop which you can find on the bottom of the laptop.The full model number looks like C655-S5047

Customer:

c655-s5082

cyball83 :

OK thanks one moment please

cyball83 :

when you turn on the laptop can you see the Toshiba start-up screen

Customer:

no

cyball83 :

when you press the caps lock key does the light for the caps lock shows up

Customer:

yes

cyball83 :

OK please try the following
Press and hold the power button for 2 or 3 seconds to shut it down and then disconnect the AC adapter. Remove the battery and press and hold the power button for about 60 seconds. Releases the button do not insert the battery back now plug the adapter back and turn on the computer. See if the problem persists.

Customer:

still not working

cyball83 :

Restart the computer then press F8 repeatedly. then you will get Advance boot Menu on the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the Safe Mode and then press ENTER.

cyball83 :

see if you can access advance boot menu or safe mode

Customer:

still not working

cyball83 :

can you connect this laptop to a external monitor or TV using a VGA cable or HDMI cable and see if you can get the display on the external monitor

Customer:

no I am at work

cyball83 :

ok then can you find the memory module bay on the bottom of the laptop

cyball83 :

Sir please try the following
turned off the laptop then Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while
powering on the computer.

Customer:

it is it on the right or bottom left?

Customer:

nothing

cyball83 :

ok then one moment i will give you picture of the memory module location

cyball83 :

please check this image

Full Size Image

cyball83 :

can you identify it

cyball83 :

in the image the cover if the memory module is opened

Customer:

I can't open it I have tools but they are not the right size

cyball83 :

you mean screw driver

Customer:

yes i have small tool kit and a larger screwdriver

cyball83 :

ok

Customer:

I have tried all my tools and they do not fit the screw seems to be on tight

cyball83 :

ok does the hard drive light blinks when you press a key

Customer:

the numbers key lights up as well as the cap lock I can hear the computer boot with a little bing when windows starts

cyball83 :

OH OK so the screen display have a very low brightness am i correcgt

cyball83 :

i mean correct

Customer:

no brightness

Customer:

just a black screen

cyball83 :

but you can hear the windows start-up sound am i correct

Customer:

yes

cyball83 :

ok press and hold the FN key and then press repeatedly F7 key and see if the screen shows anything

Customer:

nothing

cyball83 :

press and hold FN key and then press F5 key once and see if the display shows up if not again press F5 key

Customer:

nothing

cyball83 :

ok it seems like either the laptop screen power inverter board or the back light of the screen is not funtioning

Customer:

so what do i need to do?

cyball83 :

you can confirm that by connecting the laptop to a external monitor using VGA or HDMI cable if that works then its a screen issues as i mentioned above

cyball83 :

Is this laptop still under warranty

cyball83 :

Also if the External monitor also doesn't work then its the display chip on the motherboard which is not functioning

Customer:

I did connect the coumputer to a projector to watch a film on the internet I will try to connect it again and see if I get a picture. If not I will take it to best buys and have them look at it

cyball83 :

it most probably a screen issue

cyball83 :

because you can hear the windows start-up sound

Customer:

Thanks I think so I think we are done and I thank you for your help

cyball83 :

you are welcome. Please don’t forget to click ACCEPT button in the main chat page. That’s the only way I get paid for the services that I have provided to you

John, Computer Specialist
Experience: MCP, RHCE