R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Computer Support
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
45119205

Am getting a "Hardware Malfunction" on a blue screen, it says: 1.

Am getting a "Hardware Malfunction" on a blue screen, it says:

1. call your hardware vendor for support

: parity check / memory parity error

The system has halted.

Can you advise what is happening and how to fix? Thank you
Category: Computer
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 2 years ago.

R.A. McConnell :

Hello, I'll be happy to help you with this.

R.A. McConnell :

If you're getting a memory parity error (which is typically quite rare these days), then either your system's RAM memory is faulty, or the memory controller on the motherboard is failing. Changing out your RAM is the easier of the two, but can be more expensive, depending on what type of and how much RAM you have in the system.

R.A. McConnell :

If you have access to a CD burner, I'd recommend downloading and booting from a MEMTEST86 cd, available for free download on the Internet.

R.A. McConnell :

It will boot your system and test the RAM and on-motherboard memory controller to let you know if there's a problem there.

Customer:

Same here. What will the MEMTEST86 tell me?

R.A. McConnell :

Whether or not there are memory errors. In some cases, the "memory parity error" message is a false message and actually due to damaged files on your hard drive. MEMTEST86 will tell you if there's a problem with the RAM.

Customer:

Is there a repair or does the RAM have to be replaced?

R.A. McConnell :

You can grab a burnable copy here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso (click on the Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)) link.

R.A. McConnell :

If the RAM shows errors, you'll need to start by trying different RAM in the system to see if the problem is actually the RAM or the memory controller on the motherboard.

Customer:

And after doing this, will it tell me how to fix it?

R.A. McConnell :

If you replace the RAM and still have the problem, then the source of the trouble is the motherboard and the motherboard will need to be replaced.

Customer:

So its either the RAM or the motherboard, correct?

R.A. McConnell :

MEMTEST86 won't tell you how to replace the RAM, but on modern motherboards it's fairly simple. There are lots of videos on YouTube that can show you how.

R.A. McConnell :

If you get errors in MEMTEST86, then you have a RAM or motherboard error, yes. If you don't get errors, then you probably have damaged files on your hard drive.

R.A. McConnell :

If you have damaged files on your hard drive, then a reinstall is your best option, preferably with an erase of the hard drive beforehand, to ensure that you have removed all of the damaged files.

Customer:

OK, will try the MEMTEST86.

R.A. McConnell :

With that said, sometimes just reinstalling (or uninstalling, then reinstalling) the program that you're having trouble with can resolve the trouble. If you have problems in several programs (and MEMTEST86 shows no memory errors), then reinstalling Windows is the next thing to try (if you don't just erase the hard drive and do a fresh install).

R.A. McConnell :

Best of luck.

Customer:

Thank you.

R.A. McConnell :

If you would like additional clarification or further assistance, go ahead and bookmark this page (http://www.justanswer.com/computer/6al4n-getting-hardware-malfunction-blue-screen-says-1.html) so that you can get back to it later.

R.A. McConnell :

If you have found my answers to be helpful, please remember to click Accept, as I don't get paid from your good faith deposit until you do so.

Customer:

is there a way I can print our conversation?

R.A. McConnell :

I'd go ahead and highlight the entire conversation, copy it (CTRL-V) and paste it into a new word processing document, then print from there. Even so, you can bookmark the page and come back to it later, printing it from there if you like.

R.A. McConnell :

Sorry, copy is CTRL-C, not CTRL-V (which is the paste command).

Customer:

OK R.A., I'll try that. I figured it was "C" not "V". Thanks for your help and I will press ACCEPT

R.A. McConnell :

You're most welcome.

R.A. McConnell :

If you'd like additional assistance in the future, on other matters, please don't hesitate to ask for me and I'll be happy to lend a hand at that time.

R.A. McConnell, Computer Support
Experience: A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin