kooleraid
kooleraid, Consultant
Experience:  17+ year Management and Engineering experience across both product development and technical services organizations.

How may we insure a complete uninstall of VZ Access Manager

Customer Question

How may we insure a complete uninstall of VZ Access Manager from Win 7. Attempting to reinstall yet get the following error: 'An error (-5006 : 0x800700b7) has occured while running the setup. Pleasee make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other apps. If the error still occurs, please contact the vendor Smith Micro.'
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 years ago.

BestComputerExpert :

Hi my name isXXXXX would like to assist you with your Verizon Manager issue

BestComputerExpert :

Let's try something

BestComputerExpert :

http://tinyurl.com/jeremyrevo

BestComputerExpert :

Click this link to download Revo-Uninstaller

BestComputerExpert :

When it comes up and asks if you want to run or save select "Run"

BestComputerExpert :

Try to uninstall VZ using this tool here, it does a deep cleaning when removing software and eliminates the registry keys that may be associated with this program

BestComputerExpert :

Try to install again once it is completely removed.

BestComputerExpert :

If that fails

BestComputerExpert :

Hold the windows key (looks like a flag on the keyboard) and press R

BestComputerExpert :

In the runbox type msconfig

BestComputerExpert :

Push enter

BestComputerExpert :

Click the Startup tab and click Disable All

BestComputerExpert :

Check the box to Hide Microsoft Items

BestComputerExpert :

Under the Service Tab

BestComputerExpert :

And press Disable All again under Services.

BestComputerExpert :

Click Apply

BestComputerExpert :

Click OK

BestComputerExpert :

Reboot the computer and try the install again

BestComputerExpert :

If all goes well please press the Accept below and leave positive feedback, If it does not please reply to me and we will continue troubleshooting. My name is XXXXX XXXXX thanks for choosing JustAnswer.com

JACUSTOMER-xcoz3lw9- :

VZ Access Manager is no longer listed in the installed programs or Revo listings of installed programs - nor was it before. Disabled 'services' and 'startup'. Rebooted and still the same error on attempt to reinstall.

BestComputerExpert :

Did you try to install from http://vzam.net/

BestComputerExpert :

?

BestComputerExpert :

Lets try this

BestComputerExpert :

Use this page to find your model or a similar model device in the list.

BestComputerExpert :

Click the Download button

BestComputerExpert :

When it asks to run or save press Save

BestComputerExpert :

Save the VZAM . EXE file from the site to your computer somewhere you can locate it

BestComputerExpert :

Right click on the EXE file and click Run as administrator

BestComputerExpert :

Try to install once again

JACUSTOMER-xcoz3lw9- :

yes the setup file is from vzam.net

BestComputerExpert :

Try to right click and run as administrator

BestComputerExpert :

see if that makes a difference

JACUSTOMER-xcoz3lw9- :

we have tried that as welll and same result.

BestComputerExpert :

Are you on x64 or x32 windows 7?

JACUSTOMER-xcoz3lw9- :

64

JACUSTOMER-xcoz3lw9- :

win 7

BestComputerExpert :

What kind of device is this?

JACUSTOMER-xcoz3lw9- :

USB 4G modem Pantech UML290

BestComputerExpert :

http://tinyurl.com/vz2jeremy

BestComputerExpert :

Try this version here.

BestComputerExpert :

When you save it

BestComputerExpert :

Right click the file

BestComputerExpert :

Choose properties

BestComputerExpert :

Click the compatability tab

BestComputerExpert :

Click Run this program in XP SP3 mode, and also check run as administrator, click apply and ok

BestComputerExpert :

Try to open it again

JACUSTOMER-xcoz3lw9- :

one moment please still d/l' ing. T1 here is painfully slow

BestComputerExpert :

No problem :)

JACUSTOMER-xcoz3lw9- :

samey same brother

BestComputerExpert :

:( Let me re-open the question and see if anyone else has any ideas. I'll jump right back if I can think of anything.

Expert:  Networking101 replied 2 years ago.
BCE hit alot of great tools and tricks, there is one more thing you can try which has helped me a ton on my servers when programs will not release...we used to use the MS Install Clean-up, but they abandoned it and pulled it offline, they now have the "Fix-It" tool....follow this link and click on "RUN NOW"...it was made for 64 bit systems, and by Microsoft, so they can find orphaned keys pretty quickly..lets see if it will help...

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Selected the tool for 'uninstall' VZ Access Manager is not listed. However now asks for the Product Code in the registry.

It asks for the product code? For VZ Navigator? OK if it isn't listed in there, even MS cant find any data on it...

What we may be looking for is a running app...is Adobe reader running by chance in your system tray beside your clock? That program is FAMOUS for stopping installs...

If you see it near your clock, just right click it and tell it to exit...then check your Task manager apps to make sure nothing else is running in the background, like updates...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was a flash utility active ended that process on that and a few other unnecessary tasks that were running. Also disabled Avira av. Still same install error.
Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

Hello and Thanks for choosing JustAnswer! Cool

Give this a shot before we dig deeper - but make sure you go by the steps verbatim - it is easy to do it from memory but don't! Follow what I am asking you please.

PART 1: PREPARE FOR VZMANAGER REINSTALLATION
(1) Restart your computer
(2) Create a System Restore point
(3) Disable any security software you have whatsoever
(4) Disable any devices installed on the system by VZManager from Device Manager (Right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Highlight Device -> Right-click -> Disable)
Note-1: if any devices have yellow exclamations and report those.
Note-2: Device drivers may vary depending upon the device installed, (e.g. SAMSUNG Mobile USB DRIVER, Mobile Broadband Generic Drivers, PANTCH PC USB Modem Software, etc.)
(5) Disconnect any Verizon USB devices etc as well as any other USB devices connected
(6) Start -> MSConfig -> Startup tab -> Note which Startup Items are enabled -> Disable all Startup Items -> Apply -> Reboot
(7) Make sure security software is still disabled
(8) Uninstall the VZManager
(9) If any errors -> skip to Part 3 below; If no errors during uninstall move forward with the instructions next in Part 2.

PART 2: IF UNINSTALL SUCCESSFUL
(10) Redownload VZManager from http://www.vzam.net/download/supported.aspx and pay attention to the version for your device exactly and save the file to your Desktop - don't run it!
(11) Find the downloaded file on your desktop, right-click on select Run As Administrator and carefully observe the installation
(12) Re-enable startup items and reboot
(13) Report your findings and stop here if resolved; ELSE If any errors go to Part 3.

PART 3: IF ANY FAILURES OCCUR
(14) Report your findings about where you got stopped etc along with answers to these questions below:
(a) If you pick on any errors or have further details please provide them exactly as thrown by the system.
(b) Please also confirm for me what security software you do have (Anti-virus, Malware, Firewall)? Exact model / versions would be great.
(c) Were there any issues on the Device Manager noted?

(15) Next, I'll crack into the VZManager package itself. Revo is great for uninstalls but the research & detect unfortunately only comes with the Pro / Paid version so I was going to have you use another utility which I like for purposes of uninstall research but decided I will run it myself and instead get back to you with a list of items we can check. Essentially I'm going break that package down quick and we'll go from there!

Thank you! Smile

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Followed Part 1 and 2 to a tee, yet when run Vzam as administrator. Received the following message:

Error Code: -5006 : 0x800700b7
Error Information:
>SetupNew\SetupDLL.cpp (849)
PAPP:VZAccess Manager
PVENDOR:Smith Micro Software, Inc. (http://www.smithmicro.com)
PGUID:D9A6B2B4-E827-4D98-BFE3-B52926536247
$12.0.0.58855PAK
@Windows (6000) IE 9.0.8112.16421

(b) just running Malware Bytes, windows Defender and completely dinengaged Avira AV ware.

(c) NO issuus reported in device manager

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.
OK Thanks for the info

Let me go ahead and break into that package and we'll go from there.

I'll audit the installer and get back to you.
Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.
What is the exact version of installer you are using from the Matrix so I can analyze the correct package?

i.e.
7.7.1 (2681e)
7.7.1 (2707e)
etc

Look it up from the Matrix you are downloading off of and let me know.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

7.7.1 (2730h) for Pantech UML 290 Windows 7 32/64 bit

Thank you.

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.
Great! I'll take a peek and let's see what we have! I'll get back to you later with the details.
Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

Hello!

Dug into the package - it's loaded so we got multiple things to look at.

(1) Please download and install CCleaner from

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

(2) Open the software and go to Tools

(3) Click Uninstallation and just click on save as text option to save the list of programs installed on your computer

(4) Click Startup -> Windows -> then save the list again for the Startup items in Windows.

(5) Please post these two .txt file onto http://www.mediafire.com/ and post links here so I can review the list.

(6) Next go ahead and install Revo Uninstaller the professional version - it comes with a 30 day trial anyhow so you can get rid of it after that but it will make our lives easier

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html It is the lower right most Download button on the page.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

CCleaner is a utility I have utilized for years so hopefully this is correct:

http://www.mediafire.com/?n447l0v1wto8ff7

Need clarification on your number (4) instruction.

Thank you

Todd

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the installed programs list.

In CCleaner -> Tools -> There is a Startup tab which also let's you extract and save a list.

Let me know any questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay gotcha now...missed that. Here is the startup.txt file as well:

http://www.mediafire.com/?46zcpk9bk387sbk

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not meaning to get ahead of you. Yet, the VZaccess installer reports the following:

Conflict with IE 9 and VZaccess product code registry potentially now. Maybe this will help in diagnosis.

Error Code: -5006 : 0x800700b7
Error Information:
>SetupNew\SetupDLL.cpp (849)
PAPP:VZAccess Manager
$12.0.0.58855PAK
@Windows (6000) IE 9.0.8112.16421

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the update. At least a better message! :)

Let me take a look...
Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

Hello! Smile

-5006 is stating that the installer is failing to access something it needs during runtime. It is either a folder path it is not able to get to OR some registry settings it can't modify or find OR services it can't modify.

@Windows (6000) IE 9.0.8112.16421 just means Windows (6000) i.e. Windows 7 which is NT 6.x and remainder is the IE version on the system. So not really the issue but statement of system environment details.

Install Source parent key E0F3FA1F-F2BB-41F1-A6A9-3B2D3B52949B houses the subkey D9A6B2B4-E827-4D98-BFE3-B52926536247 which contains the source to install the UML290 Firmware Updates. Installer is choking attempting to access this directory at runtime for one reason or another so let's get it out of the way in the least intrusive manner we can.

(A) Reboot and do not open any software

(B) Open an Elevated Command Prompt Window
(1) Open the Start Menu.
(2) In the Start Menu search box area, type cmd and press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.
(3) NOTE: The elevated command prompt opens to C:\Windows\System32 and not C:\Users\(user name) as the default command prompt without administrator rights. So if you are not in C:\Windows\System32 then try again or let me know and I'll give you a different alternative.

(C) Rename Parent Key of Problem Key
(1) In the elevated command prompt, type following commands one by one and press enter. STOP if any command is not successful. Capture the command prompt output and provide it back to me when done.
cd %TMP%
cd {E0F3FA1F-F2BB-41F1-A6A9-3B2D3B52949B}

cd {D9A6B2B4-E827-4D98-BFE3-B52926536247}
cd..

REN {D9A6B2B4-E827-4D98-BFE3-B52926536247} {D9A6B2B4-E827-4D98-BFE3-B52926536247}_BKUP

(D) Reinstall VZAccess Manager
Reboot and try to reinstall and make sure to capture any error you get in full detail like last time. Use revo to install ie turn-on the tracker so it keeps track of all the changes that come in through the package.

(E) Installation Log
Please upload a copy of %TMP%\VZAM_Uninstaller.LOG to MediaFire.com if installation fails.

NOTE: There can be more 1 potential issue so now that we have the package we can just go step at a time and address any issues as they appear. So if the installation fails do not be discouraged.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can not find that the parent 'key' directory via the command prompt. Tried a couple of different syntax on the command. The CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER did not seem to do anything.

Attach is a sceen shot of the cmd prompt.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Additionally this is what VZAccess installer reports on failure.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File --> <configuration> <system.web> <customErrors mode="Off"/> </system.web> </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File --> <configuration> <system.web> <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/> </system.web> </configuration>

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.
(0) Restart and then Create a system restore point
(1) CCleaner -> Tools -> Startup items -> Uncheck them all
(2) CCCleaner in options make sure to enable Windows Temporary folder then run cccleaner to clean it out.
(3) Enable view hidden folder and system folders from control panel appearances and then Start -> Run -> %TMP% -> Clear out the folder completely. Make sure its cleaned out.
(4) Restart again once its clear.
(5) In your installed applications I see that you have an entry for Novatel - uninstall that unless you know you need it for a fact - seems to be left over from a prior version of VZAccess Manager install.
(6) I see you have x3 cisco items installed - do you use VPN currently? Uninstall unless you have definite need at the moment. VPN with VZAccess for Pantech is also another hurdle to deal with once you get it to install and communicate with the device so less complications better.
(7) Right-click on My Computer -> Manage -> On console click on Services on the left hand side and make sure the Windows Module Installer Service is not Disabled -> You can set it to Auto for startup type and then go ahead and Start it.
(8) Malware, Avast, Norton, Defender -> Disable all
(9) Reinstall the vzam package
(10) Check event viewer -> application logs to see what all went wrong if any as well as %TMP%\VZAM_Uninstaller.LOG

Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer

Been traveling all day today and have not had a chance to administer your last just yet. Will do tomorrow and advise. Still not have resolved. Thank you brother. Just wanted let you know still here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just so we may better manage timing...what time zone are you located? GMT -05 here, you? We thank you for your assistance.
Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the heads up! No problem. Take your time.

I am EST so should be also GMT -5.

Let me know when you have had a chance and we'll go from there! Smile
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Followed all steps and still same same when install VZAccess Manager. Same error.
Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.
(1) Make sure you have enabled Hidden and System files as well as extensions below.
(2) Start -> Type %TMP% and press enter
(3) In your TMP folder, do you see this folder?
{E0F3FA1F-F2BB-41F1-A6A9-3B2D3B52949B}

(1) SHOW HIDDEN AND SYSTEM FILES
(1a) Click Start.
(1b) Type "search" in start search box.
(1c) Click "Change search options for files and folders".
(1d) Now, Click on View tab .
(1e) Under View,
(1e.i) Select the radio button labeled Show hidden files, folders, and drives
(1e.ii) Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
(1e.iii) Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
(1f). Click on Apply and Ok.

(2) ENABLE DISPLAY FILE EXTENSIONS
(2a) A file name extension is a set of characters added to the end of a file name that determine which program should open it. Follow these steps to choose whether Windows displays these file extensions.
(2b) Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
(2c) Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do the following:
(2d) To display file extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are these the right instructions for 'show hidden files' in Windows 7?
Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

Hello There! Cool

Updated instructions are below.

To enable the viewing of hidden files, protected system files and file extensions in Windows 7 please follow these steps:

1.Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
2.Click on the Start button. This is the small round button in the lower left corner of your screen that has a Windows flag on it.
3.Click on the Control Panel menu option.
4.Click on the Appearance and Personalization link.
5.Now click on the Show hidden files and folders option.
6.Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
7.Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled "Hide extensions for known file types."
8.Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)."

9.Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled "Hide extensions for known file types."
10.Once this is done, your Folder Options screen should look similar to the following image.

Figure 3. Folder Options screen

11.Press the Apply button and then the OK button.

kooleraid, Consultant
Experience: 17+ year Management and Engineering experience across both product development and technical services organizations.
Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.
Hey There!

(1) Make sure you have enabled Hidden and System files as well as File Extensions.

(2) Installer key check
(2a) Start -> Type %TMP% and press enter
(2b) In your TMP folder, do you see this folder?
{E0F3FA1F-F2BB-41F1-A6A9-3B2D3B52949B}
(2c) Share your findings with me

(3) Check event viewer for details of the errors thrown by the installer
(3a) Right click on Computer
(3b) Select Manager
(3c) Bring up Event Viewer
(3d) Look under Application logs as well as System logs to see what all went wrong
(3e) Share your findings with me

(4) Check contents of the VZAM Uninstaller log
(4a) Start -> %TMP% -> Enter
(4b) Locate file named VZAM_Uninstaller.LOG
(4c) Share contents of the log with me

No giving up! Smile

Thanks!

If you are satisfied with my service thus far - please remember to ACCEPT my answer. You may continue to work with me before and after you ACCEPT my answer. I will continue to work with you until you are satisfied. Your satisfaction is my number 1 priority to please make sure to contact me first before leaving a negative feedback and give me the opportunity to address the issue with you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer

I have been travelling the last few days. I will hopefully get to respond later this evening.

Thank you for your diligence.

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely! We'll resolve this one way or another! :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have must hit the wrong reply. Have not accepted just yet.....gotta follow your last 2 waves of instructions...sorry.
Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.
Hey There!

Clicking ACCEPT does not mark the end of our engagement or makes any difference so no worries. Your satisfaction guarantee is still there and the same! I will continue to do whatever is necessary to address your questions and concerns.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. {E0F3FA1F-F2BB-41F1-A6A9-3B2D3B52949B}

This was not present in the Temp folder.

2. Administrator rights seemingly is not set right on this Win 7. Whe attempting to delete all items - some items will not allow to delete - saying requires permission/administrator rights.

3. Can not find anything in the 'event viewer' that is suspect.

4. Ran the VZaccess install again and the same result as initially.

VZAM_Uninstaller.LOG not found on system anywhere.

However did find these file directories in search for VZAM. Deleted the VZAM - Windows\installer directory.graphicid

4(a) Here is the report log file contents of the last install attempt:

Version=1

EventType=PCA2

EventTime=129738307060036649

Consent=1

UploadTime=129738307060106653

ReportIdentifier=c6c7bd91-5840-11e1-a461-2c413804a9b6

Response.BucketTable=5

Response.type=4

Sig[0].Name=Problem Signature 01

Sig[0].Value=VZAM_7.7.1.5_2730h_PantechUML290.exe

Sig[1].Name=Problem Signature 02

Sig[1].Value=12.0.0.58855

Sig[2].Name=Problem Signature 03

Sig[2].Value=Setup Launcher

Sig[3].Name=Problem Signature 04

Sig[3].Value=VZAccess Manager for Pantech UML290 Sig[4].Name=Problem Signature 05 Sig[4].Value=Smith Micro Software, Inc.

Sig[5].Name=Problem Signature 06

Sig[5].Value=1

Sig[6].Name=Problem Signature 07

Sig[6].Value=201

DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version

DynamicSig[1].Value=6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID

DynamicSig[2].Value=1033

State[0].Key=Transport.DoneStage1

State[0].Value=1

FriendlyEventName=Program compatibility problem

ConsentKey=PCA2

AppName=Setup Launcher

AppPath=C:\Users\GMan\Desktop\VZAM_7.7.1.5_2730h_PantechUML290.exe

ReportDescription=This program might not have installed correctly

5. Utilized REVO to uninstall the 3 Cisco installations.

Please have a lookey Mr. Kool-Aid.

Thanks,

G-Man Over

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the update!

Will do!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Also searched the file directories for any folders with references of VZAM, Pantech, Novatel and Smith-Micro and nixed them.

Did the same in regedit.

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

Once you nuked it all out off the file system and registry - did you attempt the reinstall?
Make sure you clear out your temp directory as well.
What was the outcome?
In the event viewer -> custom reports -> create a new report select all event types, select timeframe last hour -> When you look through see if you can catch an error message of what is still outstanding that the installer is choking on?

Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Same install error as original. I can not find anything that flags subject in Event Viewer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

+

System
-Provider
[ Name] ACEEventLogSource
-EventID0
[ Qualifiers] 0
Level4
Task0
Keywords0x80000000000000
-TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2012-03-06T23:14:00.000000000Z
EventRecordID43458
ChannelACEEventLog
ComputerGMan-HP
Security
-EventData
0000000571: 2012-03-06 18:14:00:763 Exception <Saving Xml Document>: Access to the path 'C:\ProgramData\ATI\ACE\Profiles.xml' is denied. Exception Called by: ATI.ACE.APM.Server.XmlDocumentSaver::SaverWorker processID:06664 threadID:( ) domainName:(CCC.exe ) assemblyName:(APM.Server, Version=3.5.4104.19234, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e) ************************************************************************************************************************

This is one of the only alerts that keep popping up when installation attempt is made. Yet, not certain it is relevant.

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

Hello! Smile

I just had to type this 3 times thanks to IE lol. Finally, here you go - this will give us the info we need:

(1) Windows Installer can use logging to help assist in troubleshooting issues with installing software packages. This logging is enabled by adding keys and values to the registry. After the entries have been added and enabled, you can retry the problem installation and Windows Installer will track the progress and post it to the Temp folder. The new log's file name is XXXXX XXXXX begins with the letters "Msi" and end with a .log extension. Each time you use the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel, a new Msi*.log file is created.

(2) Enable Windows Installer logging

(2a) Use this FixIt to enable Windows Installer logging:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9723030

(2b) Open the registry with Regedit.exe

(2c) Locate the following path and keys which the FixIt should have created for you and update the key value with the value shown below - basically you are adding a ! to it because by default it will have value set to voicewarmupx after the FixIt:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

Reg_SZ: Logging

Value: voicewarmupx!

(3) Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View -> Enable Show hidden files -> Uncheck Hide System Files -> Uncheck Hide Known File Extensions -> Click OK

(4) Restart

(5) Start -> Search box type %TMP% and press enter. You should be at the path C:\Users\<<USERNAME>>\AppData\Local\Temp and once you have confirmed you are in that folder, clear out your TEMP folder. Keep the window open / minimized so you can get back to it once the logs are created.

(6) Right-click disable all security software from lower-right of your screen using the icons in the Notification area of the taskbar.

(7) Right-click -> Run As Administrator on the VZAM Installer executable

(8) Locate and zip up the MSI...log files created to http://www.mediafire.com/ and send me the links along with any error messages, issues and thoughts you would like to add.

(9) Once you are done troubleshooting, you can disable the logging. This should be used only for troubleshooting purposes and should not be left on because it will have adverse effects on system performance and disk space. You can change the value from voicewarmupx! to nothing for the Logging key stated in step 2c using regedit to disable it.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6hookqkng16io1v

Not certain if this is correct.

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

Well nothing got logged if you don't see a file named MSIxxxx.log ie there should be a file that got created starting with MSI and with file type/extension .log.

Search in %TMP% and also in c:\windows\temp

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is all it creates in the tmp folder - less the FXSA.....file which I haven't been able to delete. I followed all of your steps for logging. Nothing of msi in \windows\temp either.

Sorry sir. Gave it a shot.

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

Download the Windows 7 package from here: http://vzam.net/download/download.aspx?productid=921

Right-click on the VZAM Installer and run it with Troubleshoot Compatibility

Click on Try Recommended Settings

This will probably set it to XP SP2

Click on "Start the program"

Don't close the Troubleshoot Compatibility Wizard.

The VZAM installer will try to run with the XP SP2 settings.

If it runs successfully, hit Next on the Wizard and choose "Yes, save these settings for this program"

If it fails, hit "Next" on the Wizard and choose "No, try using different settings"

You will get the following options:

(a) "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now"

(b) "The program opens but doesn't display correctly"

(c) "The program requires additional permissions"

(d) "I don't see my problem listed"

Select a and d and try.

Now repeat the above procedure but this time instead of Windows 7 package, download and try with the Windows XP/Vista package: http://vzam.net/download/download.aspx?productid=920 and use the Troubleshoot Compatibility Wizard accordingly.

Save them in different folders as VZAM_W7 and VZAM_XP so you do not get them mixed-up.

Use the same procedure I wrote before when you are installing ie turning off the security, cleaning the TEMP are all still important steps. The .wer (Windows Error Report) output you gave before was good - I need any and all other errors you can generate.

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

I just retested my Windows Installer logging instructions on Windows 7 and they do work no problem. We have to make sure you are setting it up correctly.

(2) Enable Windows Installer logging

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9723030

(2b) Open the registry with Regedit.exe

(2c) Locate the following path and keys and send me a screenshot so I can confirm the values look correct:

Reg_SZ: Logging

Value: voicewarmupx!

Thanks!

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

BTW Logs I am referring to are the ones that look like this:

NonCritical_VZAM_7.7.1.5_273_.......
or

Critical_VZAM_...

Located here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Version=1
EventType=PCA2
EventTime=129741854547810803
Consent=1
UploadTime=129741854547940811
ReportIdentifier=be7b8aef-5b7a-11e1-a7ab-2c413804a9b6
Response.BucketTable=5
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Problem Signature 01
Sig[1].Name=Problem Signature 02
Sig[1].Value=12.0.0.58855
Sig[2].Name=Problem Signature 03
Sig[2].Value=Setup Launcher
Sig[3].Name=Problem Signature 04
Sig[3].Value=VZAccess Manager for Pantech UML290
Sig[4].Name=Problem Signature 05
Sig[4].Value=Smith Micro Software, Inc.
Sig[5].Name=Problem Signature 06
Sig[5].Value=1
Sig[6].Name=Problem Signature 07
Sig[6].Value=201
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID
DynamicSig[2].Value=1033
State[0].Key=Transport.DoneStage1
State[0].Value=1
ConsentKey=PCA2
AppName=Setup Launcher
AppPath=C:\Users\GMan\Downloads\VZAM_7.7.1.5_2730h_PantechUML290.exe
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16" ?> - <Answers Version="1.0"> - <Interaction ID="IT_LaunchMethod"> <Value>ContextMenu</Value> </Interaction> - <Interaction ID="IT_SelectProgram"> <Value>NotListed</Value> </Interaction> - <Interaction ID="IT_BrowseForFile"> <Value>C:\Users\GMan\Desktop\VZAM_7.7.1.5_2730h_PantechUML290.exe</Value> </Interaction> </Answers>
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Windows Installer Logging....just can not get to function.
Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

That is odd.

Could you check this for me?

(1) Open task manager (simultaneously press CTRL+SHIFT+Esc keys) > Services > Do you see any services named VZaccessmangeruninstaller?

(2) Did you ever have McAfee installed on this computer?

(3) Try to run the VZAccess Manager installer directly from an elevated command prompt with the following command which also tells the program directly where to log the process - copy/paste below into Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt -> Right-click run as administrator:

msiexec C:\Windows\Installer\vzam\VZAccess/ Manager.msi /L*v c:\gman_msi_log.txt

Check the log now with the registry settings in place and a direct push to log the details - we'll see if the logging issue is because the VZAM .exe bootstrapping application somehow has issues or if the problem resides elsewhere.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was incidence of a McAfee encryption in services and a reference to PTUML290 Connection Manager - yet I just disabled them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We get MSI logs of everything but the VZAM installation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have all these PTUML entries in the registry - not deleteable.

graphic

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

(1) Yeah, I would not advice deleting those directly from the registry in that fashion.
(2) Is this computer part of a domain?
(3) Was it issued by your place of work or your personal?
(4) Do you use McAfee Endpoint Encryption? Before just stopping services you should make sure you are not going to impact things negatively. Check the McAfee endpoint client and see if and what features are installed. If your harddrive is actively encrypted by McAfee it would not be advisable to just nuke it.
(5) Did you have any other McAfee products installed before?

Let me know about the above and I'll give you the instructions on how to get rid of McAfee.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Understand. Registry back to original state.

(2) Is this computer part of a domain?

Just part of 'workgroup' at home.

Personal

Do not knowing use it.

Have not had McAfee installed before.

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

Run Windows Disk Clean-up - Double-click on Computer -> Right-click on Hard drive -> Properties -> General tab -> Disk Clean-up

Run the McAfee Removal Tool for starters - this will remove all McAfee software off your system. Take a system restore point before running the software just in case. Also if McAfee Endpoint Encryption client software is reachable from your Programs in the Start Menu, run it and make sure your harddrive status shows up as decrypted just in case.
http://mcaf.ee/42ed9

Let me know how the clean-up goes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We completed the 'disk cleanup'. All went good. Just not certain of it's effectiveness at this time.

The McAfee end point is not accessible via 'programs'. However - how may we will determine if it's removal may or not effect any other programs on the system.

We will wait for your instruction.

Thank You.

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

What is the brand and model of the laptop?

I'll double-check the packaged software to see if anything related in there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HP ProBook 4730s (picked up new last October)

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

Yeah as I suspected - Drive Encryption provided as part of HP ProtectTools is McAfee Endpoint Encryption (Formerly SafeBoot® Device Encryption).

So launch HP Protect Tools Security Manager on your desktop and check the Drive Encryption status. Is your drive encrypted?

McAfee:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/resources/misc/ds-hp-protect-tools.pdf

HP:

http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/professional_innovations/hp-data-protection.pdf

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, looks like the drive is not encrypted. (see inserted screen captures)

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We will await 'your' instruction. Will not initiate anything on our own at this point - as not to deviate from your/our objective here.

Thanks koolaid.

Todd Over

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

OK. Let's go ahead and run the McAfee Removal/Cleanup tool:

McAfee Removal Tool
http://mcaf.ee/42ed9

Let me know how the process goes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you sure this will not detriment anything on system?

Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

It will remove McAfee products off the system - since in this case you confirmed you are not using any - it will remove any remnants of uninstalled McAfee components.

It might uninstall the McAfee Endpoint Encryption which you are not using per your confirmation.

Take a system restore point before you begin if you have not created one earlier when I instructed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

McAfee Endpoint still shows active in the task manager after removal tool ran and re-booted. Had created 'restore point' prior to initiating.

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.Customeris awesome, we just can not find a solution.
Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
Try this Uninstaller from Microsoft. Softpedia now hosts it.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility-Download-18442.html

Run the installer and search for VZA in the list. Preform the removal and restart your pc. Let me know how it goes please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
requests 'pay' for cleanup.
Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
My apologies,

Use this one.

http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Windows-Installer-Cleanup-Utility/3000-18512_4-205179.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Avira replied....unsafe to download.
Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
Thats because its a forceful unistaller. Its safe but also your call
Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
Also this is Microsoft Verisigned :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Program will not install....says it is for 95/98 versions and not NT based system.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay gang, finally found the cure. Just stumbled upon it by accident. Windows Uninstaller Pro and utilized it's install monitoring utility to re-install VZAccess. Worked like a charm. I thank everyone for their diligent efforts in assistance, especially 'kooleraid'. 'kooleraid' worked with us for weeks and we just could not find resolve. However his efforts were always true in assisting. Thank you Thank you brothers.
Expert:  kooleraid replied 2 years ago.

Interesting...

Throughout the process - sometimes various steps employed move things along partially but without the right sequence the overall process might seem to not work. It seems like something might have happened besides the install monitoring utility but...

Also I see that my post before for manually resetting the msi installer repo did not come through... but nonetheless glad it worked out. The first set of instructions needed a revision to force things through... I'm just still curious as to why you never did get the verbose mode / logs from the Windows Installer. Did they ever start appearing after VZAccess installer proper?

Are you referring to using Revo Uninstaller Pro? What is the exact software name/link? I like to take a look.

Thanks for your patience! Smile

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We used the install logger of 'Advanced Uninstaller Pro'. http://www.advanceduninstaller.com/

We utilized the log install function of this program and it allowed the re-install of VZam.

We could not get the verbose mode / logs from Windows Installer to ever function proper - never showed up in 'Temp' folder.

I suspect something ill with 'administrative rights' on this system. As we have had difficulty in installing and functioning other items as well with errors of admin rights.

Thank you kooleraid in all your efforts to assist.

GMan over.