MikeW
MikeW, Computer Engineer
Experience:  32+ years Computer and Networking Experience

Need to factory reset emachine e725 back to factory setting

Customer Question

Need to factory reset emachine e725 back to factory setting without disk. I have tried starting up using F11 but did not work. I have a black screen with a blinkibg cursor in the upper left hand corner and the only thing I can get to is Setup by hitting F2.

I will pay if you can walk me through the stepts of restoring the computer.

Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  LeGin replied 2 years ago.

LeGin :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assist you today.

Customer:

Great

LeGin :

To access the recovery partition. Hold "Alt+F10" Key at start up. When the recovery screen starts. Choose Advanced>Destructive Recovery>Follow the on screen prompts. Choosing Destructive Recovery will return your computer to factory specifications. Returning it to factory specifications will remove everything except what originally came with the computer. The recovery will take about an hour. Then go to Microsoft and, download all of the latest updates for your computer. This could take several more hours and, could require several restarts. After you have all the latest updates.

LeGin :

Let me know if that helped..

Customer:

alt F10 does not bring up the recovery screen. just a loud noise and back to the black screen

LeGin :

try the F10 Key.

LeGin :

Checking the flash screen at start should tell you which one to hold for recovery

Customer:

nope does not work. only get F2 setup screen to work.

LeGin :

what is the key you see on the flash screen at startup.

Customer:

F2

LeGin :

F2 is for getting into BIOS/Setup..?

Customer:

yes

LeGin :

what about recovery or factory defaults..?

Customer:

cannot get into it/no option

LeGin :

Has this computer been re-formated or reinstalled in the past.

Customer:

never

LeGin :

ok. does this computer boot to desktop.

Customer:

no

LeGin :

ok. lets try once to get into windows

Customer:

ok

LeGin :

restart the computer and at the startup screen keep tapping on the F8 key

LeGin :

to get the Adv startup menu

Customer:

loud noise. did not work. black screen with blinking cursor still their.

LeGin :

There seem to be some hardware problem with the computer.

Customer:

how do i fix it?

LeGin :

Get into the BIOS screen and check if you can see the Hard drive there

LeGin :

the entry will be missing if the computer cannot recognize Hard drive

Customer:

please hold let me check

LeGin :

ok

Customer:

HDD Model name: WDC WD2500BEUT

Customer:

also

Customer:

HDD Model Name: N/A

Customer:

So one says HDD Model name with XXXXXX and another says HDD Model name: N/A

Customer:

Same for Serial Number

LeGin :

WD2500BEUT is an hard drive.

LeGin :

When you boot the computer normally what is the last screen you get and

LeGin :

if you get any error what is that.

Customer:

i get the emachine logo and then it goes to black screen with cursor.

Customer:

no error message

LeGin :

this seems lost Master boot Records issue

Customer:

can it be fix?

LeGin :

do you have the windows & disk

LeGin :

win 7 disk

Customer:

no

LeGin :

Ok. this is what you need to do get into BIOS and change the boot sequence > 1 boot device to CD/DVD and second to HDD. Get a Windows 7 disk and reinstall windows.

LeGin :

if the computer is still in warranty try contact Emachine customer care. Probably they can send you a preloaded Hard Drive.

Customer:

Out of warranty. Is their a free download to disk for windows 7?

LeGin :

you have already purchased Win 7 with this computer, you will have sticker at the back with the serial no#. Just that they didn't give you a disk for it.

LeGin :
Emachine Phone: 866-586-223 Call and ask for a windows 7 disk.
Customer:

I see it. What do I do with it?

Customer:

they told me they will not help me because im out of warranty

LeGin :

reinstall windows 7.

Customer:

but I cannot get into windows. can I load windows on a usb than install it on the computer that not working?

LeGin :

you can use cd/dvd drive

LeGin :

all this you have to do if your recovery partition is not working.

LeGin :

try once more Alt + F10 at startup screen. hold down the ALT key and keep tapping the F10

Customer:

ok

Customer:

still not working.

Customer:

beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep......... that is the sound i get

LeGin :

regular beep sound is also result of memory failure.

Customer:

I only get the beep sound when I press the F keys on startup

LeGin :

ok then it is not memory but keyboard memory overflow error.

LeGin :

Let me know if you have any Questions regarding the same.

Customer:

is their anything you can walk me through right now to repair the problem?

LeGin :

nothing before you a windows 7 disk.

LeGin :

Let me open this question for other experts, as i am out of idea.

Customer:

ok thanks

Expert:  Eric Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm here to try and help you resolve your problem. I just need a little more information. The machine in question is not booting up at all, just sitting at a blinking cursor unless you hit F2 to go into the bios / setup?

I assume that you are not using the machine that is having the issues?
Ok, I can see the log now. Unfortunately it may not be possible to help without a Windows 7 recovery disk of some sort. I am also going to opt out now for the moment. If there is no way to get them to send you a disk due to being out of warranty, you may have to see if someone has a Windows disk that you can borrow to use for the process.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I can help you. As the other experts have stated you will need a windows 7 cd to recover your system. I can assist you with that. First I need you to tell me what the Windows COA sticker says as far as the version of windows 7 that you have. That will be the mulitcolored sticker on the side or back of your pc that will have the Windows activation code on it. Is it Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Pro, etc. Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello let me get it.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
I'm waiting.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Does the computer you're talking to me on have a dvd burner?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the sticker is faded but it look like windows 7 home premiun but i could be wrong.

Yes it has dvd burner

Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
ok you will need to be able to read the activation code on that PC for me to be able to help you unless you want to purchase a Windows 7 operating system for about $200.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do you need the product key?
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
yes, can you read that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
TCXF8-TQ9P6-9HBH3-X8FWC-WWJWG
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Ok here's what we're going to do. You will need a blank DVD disc to do this. You will click on this link to download Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and save it to your desktop. After that you will use Imgburn to create a Windows 7 install disk from the downloaded file. Then you will put the disk into your pc, boot off the disc and install Windows 7 back onto your emachine. I will walk you thru the process. Are you ready?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pleas standby. Let me locate a blank disk. Do I need a cd or dvd?
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
dvd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
found a dvd-rw going to format now
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
don't format it.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Please don't do anything that I don't tell you to do. If you have any questions please ask.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
ok now I need you to click on the link that I supplied above and download and save that file to your desktop. While it's downloading I need you to click here and download and install Imgburn so we can create the windows 7 install cd.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Please keep me informed as to the status of everything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there was something on it. it was not blank. I already formated

Is their a way we can talk in a chat setting. this box close out after every message i send.

Ok do I need to find another disk?

Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
unfortunately no we can't open a chat windows at this point. You must be using a DVD-RW disc. Do you have a DVD-R or DVD+R?
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Please locate a DVD-R disc. If you don't have one you may have to run down to the local WalMart or whatever and purchase a set. We only need 1 but they come in a pack.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
You can go ahead and start the download of the file while you're locating the disc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have one. file is downloading. It is a large file it says 2hrs remaining

Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Yes it's a large file. I hope it doesn't take that long but if it does we can pick up on this tomorrow. In the meantime can you click on the link above to download and install the imageburn.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
the imgburn should download in a few seconds then you can install it. Here's the link again if you can't find it above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
imageburn is done
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
ok, now we need to wait until the Windows 7 file download. Once it downloads and it's on your desktop, you will insert the blank DVD into your drive and right-click on the file and click on Burn Using Imgburn. You can uncheck the verify box and click the burn button to burn the disc. This will give you a Windows 7 Home Premium install disc that you will insert into the Emachine and boot off of the cd and install the Windows 7 onto your emachine. Once it's installed you may need to go to the emachine site and download any missing drivers. Here's the link to the emachine site for the drivers. If you have any problems or questions I'll be available off and on all day tomorrow starting at 8:00am central time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks. You will tell me how to boot off the cd when the time comes?
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I'll assist you with that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When i downloaded the burn software the download bar for the windows 7 dissapered in the background somewhere. is their a way I can montior the download or do I have to wait until it finish in order to see a popup window letting me know its done?
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
If you're using Internet Explorer 9 I'm not sure how to pull it back up since I don't use Internet Explorer but it should still be downloading unless you stopped it.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Click on this link to see how to check for files being downloaded. If the file is no longer being downloaded you will have to start it again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
CD is done will check back with you 8am Eastern Time.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
ok, I'm back. Let me know when you're ready to start.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im ready.

Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Turn on the emachine and put the cd in the drive. If it goes too far then reboot it and let it boot off the cd drive. When the prompt comes up to press any key to boot from cd then hit the enter key.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
done. windows update is asking me to restart. do i take out cd? What drivers do i download?
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Leave the cd in the computer. Turn the computer off. When you turn it back on immediately start pressing the F12 key until you get a menu that allows you to select a boot device. Select CD drive and press enter. When the prompt comes up to press any key to boot from CD drive, press enter.

In short what we need to do is boot the PC from the disc you just made. We do NOT want to go into Windows.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I went through that process. Windows has went through the process and installed on the computer and windows did an update. now it is asking me to restart the computer to finish installing important update.

Do I it?

Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Ok we're not on the same track. DO NOT LET THE COMPUTER BOOT INTO WINDOWS. IT NEEDS TO BOOT FROM THE CD THAT'S ON THE CD DRIVE. IF IT BOOTS INTO WINDOWS THEN YOU HAVE GONE TOO FAR. Please follow my instructions above for booting off the cd drive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok. sorry. I think we are off track. I did boot from the cd an went through the windows 7 instlation. The computer started up.

Next windows did an windows update and now asking me to restart computer.

Did I do something wrong? Should I restart the whole process and re-install from cd?

Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
When did you do that? It will take at least 20 minutes to install windows from a cd. I don't think you did a windows install. I need you to do a windows install and allow me to guide you step by step on the installation. During the install it will ask you to put the product key code in.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
When booting from the CD you will see a line along the bottom of the screen that says Loading Files. Then it will come up and ask you to select a language.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
what happens when you turn on the PC and keep tapping the F12 key? You should get a boot menu.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Are you saying that you actually did a Windows 7 install and the windows is now up and running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it did ask for code. I put the code from the sticker. it only took about 6 or 7 min. this was done when you told me to put the cd in and restart computer.

I got message for hit any key to boot from cd/dvd

Next message ask me to install windows 7

Choose lanuges, Country

And windows 7 downloaded.

Name Computer

Choose WiFi

Windows Did update and now asking me to restart.

Should I start over?

Yes did Windows 7 Install.

Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Well I do apologize as I can't believe it installed that quickly. If it's installed then that's great. No don't start over. I'm sorry I didn't understand that you had went all the way thru with the install. If it asks to reboot to install updates go ahead and do that.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Now we need to check for drivers. When the computer comes back up I need you to click on the start orb then right-click Computer. Then click on Device Manager that's located at the top of the left hand side. Look for anything with a yellow mark next to it. Let me know what devices have yellow question marks or exclamation marks next to them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

none have yellow marks or errors. Is that normal?

Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
If none have yellow, then that's great. Make sure your sound works and it can connect to the internet. If so then we're done. You can hold onto that disk for future use. And again I'm sorry for the confusion.
Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
If all is ok, then please don't forget to click the accept button to accept my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I take cd out now?

What will happen when i restart without a cd?

Internet and sound is working.

Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
Remove the CD and put it away for future use. The computer should be fine now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. if I ever need you assistant again how will I get intouch with you and not some one else?

Expert:  MikeW replied 2 years ago.
I'm honored that you value my assistance. You can ask for me in the subject line of your question. Just mention that you are requesting MikeW.
MikeW, Computer Engineer
Experience: 32+ years Computer and Networking Experience