Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

I cant get on my aol.com mail account. I use Chrome, but its

I can't get on my aol.com mail account. I use Chrome, but it's not letting me on. Then I use internet explorer and it won't let me in my aol mail account.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

This issue is most likely happening because of a problem with internet explorer. Let's take chrome out of the picture for now. Please try this alternate free web browser called firefox to make sure that it is in fact an internet explorer/chrome issue.

Click the link and download and install the browser and try your email again:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Click this link to check your mail my.aol.com

Now if it does work in firefox but you would like to fix your internet explorer browser here is how you can that.

In your internet explorer browser
Click on Tools > Internet Options.

Click on the Advanced tab and Reset

Make sure delete personal settings IS NOT checked

Click Reset, then Reset again.

Click OK

If you need further help please click "reply to expert" to let me know.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I downloaded Firefox, but it still doesn't work. It goes to a page that say The connection was reset
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Greetings.

Sounds to me like a java issue, so we'll start there. Go to start, control panel. Select Programs. Look for Java in the list, double click it, uninstall it.

It may be listed multiple times, uninstall each instance of java you see.

Once finished, download the newest copy of java from here:

http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Install it, once finished, try accessing AOL from either browser again. Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Neither browser works.

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
What antivirus software are you running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Norton

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Which is likely your problem, AV's can cause some serious issues if they don't update cleanly (which unfortunately happens often).

Do you have the ability to reinstall it if we remove it for testing purposes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what is AV? And I'm not at my home, so I don't think I have the necessary information to re-install.

Is there any way, you can access my computer and look around yourself.

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
I can, but the first thing I'd have to do is remove Norton. So we'd still be doing the same thing.

You're getting a connection reset by peer error. This generally caused by network issues, either from your antivirus, or from a virus.

AV stands for antivirus.

Do you have a paid subscription with Norton?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think so. But, anyway, I can probably re-install when I get home.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Ok, lets give it a shot.

First:

(assuming you haven't done this)

So you don’t lose me on a restart, I recommend setting up your JA account. Click My Account on the top right, then Edit Password. Click Save Changes once finished. To return to me, either bookmark/favorite this page, or go to www.justanswer.com and click My Questions at the top right. If you don’t see My Questions, you should see Login in which you can sign in with your email and the password XXXXX just created.

Then, download the norton removal tool here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=20080710133024EN&lg=english&ct=united%20states&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home&entsrc=redirect_pubweb

Click download under step 3.

Then run the tool. Follow the instructions to run it, once finished, it will ask you to restart. Do so, then test your mail again, let me know the results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm in the process of following your instructions. Please give me more time.

Thank you.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely no rush, I will be here standing by
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, Two of the browers did not work. That was Internet Explorer and Chrome.

Now with Firefox, it did go through, but a few seconds later the page read that there was an error and it said retry. Then I retried, but it wouldn't let me on. Any more suggestions?
Interestingly, all the browsers allowed me on the AOL homepage but could not go any further , especially to access my e-mails.

I'm so frustrated.

Thanks for not giving up with me.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
No problem, we'll figure it out.

I want you to do two steps this time.

First one:

Go to start > all programs > accessories >

Right click cmd, and click Run As Administrator. If you don't see the option, just click cmd.

In the command prompt type this:

netsh winsock show catalog

Check your spelling, you should get a confirmation saying to restart your computer in the command prompt.

Do so, then test your browsers again. Any of them is fine, see if the connection can be made. If NOT, its time to start looking fora n infection. Norton is garbage, so don't think you're clean simply because you had it.
Click this link:

http://tinyurl.com/justinmal

Download and install Malwarebytes. Run it, do a system scan (we don't need a full scan at this time). If it finds an infection, click SHow Results at the end and click Remove Selected. It will ask to restart as well, after the restart, test the browsers again.

I do need to know if it finds an infection though, regardless of the results. I'll be here, keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm back.

I installed Malware and did a quick scan. There were no malicious items detected. So, I did not restart the computer.

Also, in the command prompt, I typed in your phase, but there was no confirmation to restart the computer. So I left and downloaded the Malware .And went from there.

Also, while I was lloking for cmd, I noticed that I also have McAfee Security Scan Plus. Should I also uninstall this program too?

Next?
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
You may, since its useless, but I doubt its the cause.

When you hit enter after typing this command in a command prompt:

netsh winsock show catalog

It will say something underneath that says like, changes will not blah blah blah until restart. Try it again please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The command prompt is: C:\windows\system 32 And then I added netsh winsock show catalog. I presses enter, but no conformation to restart the computer.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Oh i'm sorry, I typed the command wrong, sigh.

Not enough coffee this morning.

netsh winsock reset catalog

Give that a shot. Then restart.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alright, I restarted the computer and then tested all the browsers. With the Windows Internet Explorer, it gave me a problem by saying there was a Authentication Problem

And Firefox- The message was a Connection was reset. No access.

And Crome, no access.

What if I uninstall Crome and then install Crome.

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Won't make a difference, the problem is across all browsers. when did this start exactly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Actually,

The wireless network was down in my mother's apartment. She had 24 hour round the clock nursecare. The nurses said that the wireless was down and when I checked my computer they were right. So, I called Comcast here in Houston and we reset the password. I hate to admit this, but he asked what browser I used and I said Crome, because my internet explorer did not work, so he went into my computer by remote and went into the history of the interenet explorer and deleted my history and cookies. I didn't think it would mess up the Chrom. He believed that what he did was correct and I could have access again. I should have not told him about the Internet Explorer. so, I know he did something that messed up everything.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Honestly, I can't imagine what he could change in terms of clearing history and stuff to cause that type of issue across multiple browser..

Let's try a system restore.

Go to start > all programs > accessories > system tools System Restore

Select a date prior to when comcast made any changes, and roll back. Let me know the results, its possible though that issue might be router related.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I rolled back 3 days ago to 2/16/2012. My Chrome was working fine at that time. Then I restarted the computer.

I check the Chrome first. A note popped up that read: Your profile cannot be used because it is from a newer version of Google Chrome. Some features may be unavailable. Please specify a different profile directory or use a newer version of Chrome.

I got to AOL. Typed in my screen name and password. Then the page comes up with: This webpage is not available.

Firefox did not even open.

I had AOL Desktop 9.6 because of a previous problem. I wondered if that could open and I tried it and it did. I can access my e-mail from this version. BUT, the problem remains.

If I get a new computer, Toshiba( I have that brand) a Dell, whatever will I be able to get on my AOL Account like I have done before using Internet Explorer?
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it sounds software related, not computer related.

The AOL desktop software could also be part of the problem, ( i know it works, but that's not the point).

Remove AOL desktop using programs and features.

Before restarting follow this guide i created as well:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vGG5zEp6suqfxuyWwkXcPGP5_aiLJuNaBx1ZHT7R1Fw/edit?hl=en_US

Just do the startup items portion, NOT the services tab. We'll move to services if we have to after.

Let me know the results please. Let's focus on getting IE to access AOL before we target chrome.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any way you can do this by remote? At this point, I'm at my wit's end and I feel this pretty down. Plus, I don't know if I want to loose my only lifeline( AOL Desktop 9.6) to my world i.e. my e-mail.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Sure thing.

You'll have to access this page via Internet Explorer though please, it just makes it easier.

Let me know when you have done so.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I'm on Internet Explorer.

.

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.

Please do not click Accept until after I have resolved the issue.

|

I will present you with a link to click. Click Run Remote Desktop. It should say “Joining Session” and then you will be prompted to Run/Continue/Allow, select any of them. Your antivirus may pop up and you’ll need to click allow as well. When done correctly, it should say Ready to Connect on the bottom right.

|

If it does not, try the process again (click the link again). And during Joining Session “Click to try another option” and a file download should begin. RUN/OPEN that file. It’s important that you click Allow/continue/run to any Prompts. If I’m NOT connected within a few minutes, return to this page and let me know if there is problems/errors.

|

Click the link below to begin:

http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=4cb9a8c5-73c6-4285-bfee-9c983b4c7b20&SUPPORT=NET

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, Sorry it took me longer than expected to e-mail you back. Everything is working. But, only when I'm connected DIRECTLY by ethernet cable to my laptop. I unpluged the ethernet cable and plugged it back into the router. Unfortunantly, I lost my internet connection. So............... I believe you are right. I do think it's the router. Any suggestions for a new router I could buy.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Not necessarily.

When you plug the router back into the cable modem.

Power cycle every device. By means of unplugging the cable modem for 20 seconds, plug it back, then unplug the router, plug it back in. Then restart your computer. Do it in that order.

Try that first before assuming its the router. If you're still having trouble connecting, then we'll talk about a replacement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I unplugged the power to every device and replugged, then I restarted my computer. The wireless is not working even though it is connected.

I don't understand. this is too high tech for me, but I do want wireless for my nurses. though I'm not quite sure about my computer. I do think that the next time I call Comcast, I'l let the other nurses computer be the guinee Pig.

Thanks very much

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
I hear ya. Alright, well, toss a new router in play.

Any router should do, and then run the setup disks to it, reconfigure the network using the setup disks and you should be good to go. At least you have access to your mail now again.

If you're all set you may click Accept now. I'm going to leave this question open though in case you need assistance setting up the wireless router.
Experience: Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

I'm sure you are tired.

I think I'm going to let the Comcast install while I'm gone.

Thanks very much.

Kate Johnson

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Not a problem, hopefully they don't botch the job ;)