Thomas
Thomas, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Working as IT Support Specialist. Focus on: Networks, Hardware & Accessories, OS, Multimedia
47353151

how do i remove name from drop down sign in menu for gmail

how do i remove name from drop down sign in menu for gmail and skype?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thomas :

welcome

Customer:

hi

Customer:

hello again

Thomas :

Which browser are you using to log in to your gmail account?

Customer:

Chrome

Thomas :

Thank You.
Google Chrome automatically saves all your inputs from forms you filled out in the past. To delete these entries, please follow these steps:

Customer:

OK go ahead

Thomas :

Click the "Wrench" icon on the browser's toolbar

Thomas :

Select "Tools"

Thomas :

Select "Clear browsing data"

Thomas :

In the dialog that appears, select the "Clear saved Autofill form data" checkbox.

Thomas :

Use the menu on the top to select the amount of data you want to delete. Select the beginning of time to clear everything.

Thomas :

Click Clear browsing data.

Thomas :

This will delete all entries that are currently saved in your AutoFill list

Thomas :

If you don't want to use the AutoFill feature anymore in the future, you can disable it

Thomas :

To disable the AutoFill feature completely:

• Click the wrench icon on the browser toolbar.

• Select Options

• Click the Personal Stuff tab and find the "Autofill" section.

• Deselect the "Enable Autofill to fill out web forms in a single click" checkbox.
  • Customer:

Can I select several accounts that don't automatically appear in drop down menu?

Thomas :

yes

Customer:

or is it all or nothing?

Thomas :

To delete a specific piece of saved text, select it in the menu using the arrows on your keyboard, then press Shift+Delete.

Customer:

OK thomas what about the same for skype drop down menu?

Thomas :

Does this drop down menu appear in the Skype application?

Thomas :

When you choose your user name?

Customer:

Don't follow. Prior to login, as you open skype home page any previous user login name appears in drop down menu. I want to remove old names and stop others appearing all the time apart from mine.

Thomas :

So this happens when you visit the website www.skype.com and click on "Sing in" ?

Thomas :

or does it happen when you open the Skype program that is installed on your computer?

Customer:

Skype recognise my IP? address and prior to log in it gives me a drop down menu with everyones skype name that has logged in via my PC or lap top

Thomas :

OK, so this should be the Skype program

Thomas :

Deleting user names from this list is a bit more complicated

Thomas :

Please follow these steps:

Customer:

I want to permanently remove several user names and type in manually each time

Thomas :

close Skype

Thomas :

Open any folder or "My Computer" from the desktop

Thomas :

In the top part of the window in the address bar input %appdata%\skype and press Enter

Thomas :

This should bring up the folder that contain all saved user accounts

Thomas :

Please tell me when you get there

Customer:

i'm not doing now just making notes. I've tried this part before in 'run' %appdata%\skype and found the file. however it doesn't allow me to delete the file as it says someone else is using it, which Im not as it is closed.

Thomas :

OK

Thomas :

This is the procedure that should work

Thomas :

You should delete the folders that contain the other user names

Thomas :

If you still get the message that it is being used, make sure that no hidden Skype process is running

Thomas :

You can check by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and then opening the "Task Manager"

Thomas :

In the Task Manager, click the "processes" tab

Thomas :

Look for processes that have "Skype" in their name, select them and click on "End Process"

Thomas :

Then try again to delete the folders

Customer:

I assume this clears all names in drop down menu. OK i can reinstall the ones I want but what about the ones I use but don't want to appear in the drop down?

Thomas :

Skype will always show you all the Skype accounts that are saved on your computer. You can only delete the entries by deleting the user's folder from %appdata%\skype

Thomas :

Even if you delete a user folder you should still be able to log in using this user name as long as you know the password

Customer:

OK so I should delete after each time I use it so it doesn't appeaer to other users

Thomas :

even if the user name doesn't appear in the list

Thomas :

Yes, if you don't want the used user names to appear, you will have to delete the user folder every time

Customer:

No , Sorry if its not in the list thats great. I want to be able to sign in with user name and password XXXXX time.

Thomas :

This is always possible

Thomas :

When you start Skype, you can uncheck the "Sign me in when Skype starts" checkbox

Thomas :

This will keep Skype from logging you in automatically

Customer:

Ok, one last question. The laptop im on now is windows 98 my new one is windows 7 and word 2010. Same routine for deleting gmail and skype?

Thomas :

The procedure is the same on Windows 7.

Customer:

Excellent, will give it a bash. Thanks

Thomas :

no problem, have a nice day

Customer:

Likewise

Thomas :

If you found this service helpful, please accept and leave me a positive feedback :)

Thomas, Computer Support Specialist
    Experience: Working as IT Support Specialist. Focus on: Networks, Hardware & Accessories, OS, Multimedia