Diamond PC
Diamond PC, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Expert in Networking and PC Hardware/Software
64786438

hp touchsmart 300 wont boot, fans run, but nothing else

Customer Question

hp touchsmart 300 won't boot, fans run, but nothing else
Category: Computer
Expert:  ITTechChris replied 2 years ago.

ITTechChris :

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm an professional technician here to assist you with your question.

ITTechChris :

What you will have to do is open the back of the computer with a screw driver if you feel comfortable enough in doing so.

ITTechChris :

Please let me know so we may move forward.

Customer :

Some how your message didn't show on my browser, I was stuck on the processing page. I am ok to open the back of my computer.

ITTechChris :

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Are you able to see my past replies?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am occupied for the moment, but at 11am I will be able to continue. I have the back of my pc unscrewed.
Ok, do you see any ram modules?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
2 kingston 2gbs ram cards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I am ready to work on it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The Ram module reset is when your ram inside your computer gets reset.
Lets do this.
1. Remove all power from the computer. Get a Phillips head screw driver and take off the screws on the side of the computer to remove the side of the computer.
2. You will then see the ram modules that look similar to like this picture in the link below.
http://shaboor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Clean-Your-Computers-RAM.jpg
3. Remove the ram modules by hand. You will need to press outwards on the clips that are holding the ram modules in. There will be one clip on each side of each of the ram module. Once you have pressed outwards on the clips, it will be safe to take out by hand.
4. When all the ram modules are removed, plug the power in and turn on the computer.
5. You should a beep. One you turned it on, shut the computer off
6. After the power is removed again, put in the ram modules correctly in the slots
7. Connect the power and turn on the computer.
When you have completed these steps, kindly tell me what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I just got back and completed the suggestions. Computer did beep. Reinstalled ram and turned the computer back on, but same deal. just fans. no screen.
When you did the steps and it beeped, did the screen turn on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not sure, i had it turned around to work on the back.

should I do it again?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried it again and no screen at all.
Okay this narrows it down to 3 problems 1. Overheating issue with the Gpu 2. Bad CPU 3. Bad CMOS battery.

Do you see a watch battery that is on the back of the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I found it

Does it look like a watch battery as round as a dime? It should say 3V on the battery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, it is hard to see because it is behind the plastic. but yes 3v. Should I remove it? replace it?
Please remove it.

Do you have a volt measurer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i removed it and no, don't have a voltmeter
Leave the battery and remove the power to the computer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes put the battery back in and put the power back in the computer and turn it on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried that, but no difference.
Okay lets try this:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am ready. Just tell me what to do. By the way, I really appreciate your help.

Not a problem my friend I appreciate you being patient.

Now, remove the battery and turn on the computer. Tell me what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, something happened. It beeped, then a screen came up for about 5 seconds, then it when blank.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced battery and nothing changed. please advise on what I should do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
He walked me through some steps to diagnose the problem, but then stopped responding. Didn't tell me what to do.
Expert:  The A+ PCTech replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Ron. Thank you for asking a question. I understand your system is a touch smart system. Do you have an external keyboard that you can use? Also, do you have any restore disks or windows installation disk?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have restore disks and keyboard.
I have tried the restore disks and nothing happened.
I need you to try hitting the F8 just after the power button. Tap it a few times just after the power button to bring up the safe mode. Try this and let me know if you can get to that screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried F-8 already
When you said that you tried the restore disks, what happened? And was this since you were able to get a screen response with the other technician?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not been able to get a screen response in 4 or 5 days. and when I did it was only for a few seconds. the restore disks I made when the computer was still working. I have been unable to get them to do anything.
I have gone over what the other tech was trying to accomplish and now without the ability to load the restore yourself, I am afraid your only option with this kind of system is to take it to a certified HP repair depot and let them do the repair. If you had a windows installation disk, we could use it to do a windows system repair once we changed the BIOS to start from the cd/dvd drive. Without the proper tools, we can not repair this together, Ron.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ron, I don't have a windows installation disk. How much will it cost to go to a HP repair depot and are their any other options.
If you are in warranty, it will not cost anything. If it is not, the repair should only be a minimum charge unless the drive has failed. In that case, you would have the cost of the drive included and an install charge.

If you contact HP for the outlet that they have certified, HP is much better about covering costs that other repair outlets will not. My point is that HP is excellent about covering failed parts while some computer repair place will never cover a defective part.

My guess is that it will be covered. If not, $45.00-75.00 if no parts are required.
If you are satisfied with my answer, please click on the accept on my answer and not the other tech. I am only compensated for my accepts.

Thank you,

Ron.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Is there any tech person, who can help me fix my problem without sending it in to HP?
Expert:  Diamond PC replied 2 years ago.
First thing I would try is attaching this to an external monitor... If this works, you have a bad screen or something having to do with the screen. You say the screen worked once, but not all the time so I think we should concentrate our attention there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.