Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

my compaq presario cq56 laptop keeps restarting. the only thing

my compaq presario cq56 laptop keeps restarting. the only thing i see on the screen when it starts is the orange background with the compaq logo. the bottom does get a little hotter than normal. i really need help fixing this problem because i have important college papers and resumes i need access to. please help!! XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

SVITExperts :

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer.com.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your issues.

Try to start it again and this time keep pressing F12

SVITExperts :

see if you can get the startup menu

Customer :

ok

Customer :

no i watched it start up 3 times pressing the f12 button constantly

Customer :

got nothing

SVITExperts :

thanks

SVITExperts :

can you go into bios?

SVITExperts :

when it starts press F2

Customer :

yes

Customer :

im in

SVITExperts :

go to startup sequence or priority

SVITExperts :

do you see the hard drive detected?

Customer :

where exactly is that located?

SVITExperts :

what do you see in bios?

SVITExperts :

the menu on top

Customer :

main, security, diagnostics, system configuration, and exit pages

SVITExperts :

go to system config

Customer :

ok. i see language, fan always on, action keys mode and boot options.

SVITExperts :

boot options

Customer :

cd-rom enabled. floppy boot and internal network adapter disabled. then boot order underneath.

Customer :

idk if it matters but above cd-rom boot it says POST HotKey Delay (sec) <0>

SVITExperts :

under boot order

SVITExperts :

you don't see hard drive?

Customer :

no

SVITExperts :

because the list you gave me got no hard drive

SVITExperts :

when did you have this issue?

Customer :

since yesterday. was just browsing online. then it shut down and started this problem.

SVITExperts :

how about this

SVITExperts :

do you have a philips screw driver?

Customer :

yup

Customer :

lol uh oh

SVITExperts :

please disconnect power and take out battery

Customer :

ok

SVITExperts :

then try to open the hard drive cover

Customer :

thisll take me a min

SVITExperts :

sure

SVITExperts :

what we are trying is to reseat the hard drive

Customer :

sorry for the wait. had to go downstairs to find it. opening now

SVITExperts :

please take your time.

Customer :

its open

SVITExperts :

please remove the hard drive. Then put it back and plug the power adapter in. Try to turn on.

Customer :

nope same problem

Customer :

sorry it took long my screwdriver is a little too big so i had to use my knife

SVITExperts :

How about this. go to BIOS. go to exit and select use default settings. Exit and save changes. Then reboot

Customer :

exit saving changes. still rebooting

SVITExperts :

looks like a hardware issue. You would need to go to a computer shop so they can take a look at your computer. I would say it's hard drive failure.

SVITExperts :

how long did you have this laptop for?

Customer :

a year or so not that long

Customer :

so if you cant help me does my card still get charged?

SVITExperts :

How about this

SVITExperts :

Let me opt out and reopen this question to all experts

Customer :

lol ok

SVITExperts :

if no one can help you, you can request Customer Service for refund.

Customer :

ok

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.

Try this:

Turn off the computer, and disconnect the battery and AC adapter from it. Wait a few minutes, then press and hold the power button for 60 seconds and release it. Proceed to connect the ac adapter (without the battery) and turn it back on. If still no display, disconnect the AC adapter, reinsert the battery, then reconnect the AC adapter and try now.

Does it boot up ok now? If not, Lets try these steps:

(1) Power off and then turn on the computer, and as soon as it starts booting up again, immediately start tapping F8 until you come to the advanced boot menu

(2) From there, select Repair your Computer > Click Next > Select the Repair your Computer button

(3) If it asks, pick your language and keyboard input method > Choose your user account, type your password XXXXX you have one and press ok

(4) If it tries to, let it scan and try to repair your issue automatically > If it asks if you would like to restore to an earlier date, use that > If it says no problems were detected, press cancel > Look for it to bring you to a recovery tools page instead like the one shown below, use system restore to restore the computer to working date.

graphic

Let me know if that clears it up, if not, don't press Accept yet and we will try some other steps, just post back here first, thank you.
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure why you left me negative feedback...No where in your original query or previous chat did it say you already tried F8.

I did not want you to press accept unless my steps worked, rather, if something does not work, please make sure to click the Reply button so I know where we stand and I can work further with you from there.

Do you want to continue with me, or did you want to close this ticket for a refund?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did that myself. i do know a little bit about computers. im not replying negative because you have bad advice. im just saying it didnt work. my computer is still in the same condition. i havent recieved any information that has helped fix my computer. i dont want to pay $28 to anyone if nothing was fixed.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I understand your frustration, but when you leave negative feedback it reflects directly on me, not the site.

This is Q&A mode, and it is a bit different from the chat, but you can reply back to me, please make sure to reply instead of using negative feedback, that way I will know what you have tried and what you have not tried so we can continue working. F8 is the first step you should try and I did not see that suggested, so I had to bring it up.

We have a satisfaction guarantee, so you do not lose any $ if you are not happy with the service. Would you like to continue with me, to try other things, or did you want to close this ticket for a refund?

Thank you,
Bernie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i thought it was the only way to tell you that what you suggested, didnt work. and that i wasnt satisfied with your answer because it didnt help fix the problem. i never been to this site so i didnt how to reply back other than my first comment.

yes i tried all the F buttons. nothing works or does anything immediately when the computer boots up. the only thing i can do is press the ESC button to get to the start up menu which then lets me choose between the f1,f2,f9, f10, and f11 buttons. i will continue to work with you to try and fix this problem.

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I understand, then let's try some other steps here, hopefully we can get you up and running but if if does come to some kind of hardware failure then I will let you know and give further steps from there.

Now turn off the computer again, and disconnect the battery and AC adapter from it. On the back of the laptop, remove the memory modules by unscrewing the smallest panel, click here to see how: LINK1

Before touching any internal components, ground yourself by touching any bare metal surface. Then, reseat the memory modules, taking them out and reinserting them. After reseating the memory modules, try to turn on the computer again. If it doesn't work, take out both modules and install only one memory module in a slot. Turn on the computer again, if it fails, try testing that single memory module in another slot. If no results, proceed to test the other memory module in this same fashion. If it works, you need to replace the memory on the computer.

If memory swapping doesn't boot the computer, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok

im goin in to try.. ill let u know

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Sure thing, take your time

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
took out the memory card. computer goes on but is just a black screen. caps button light blinks.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok, if you have already taken the memory out, and then put it back in, and tried to boot the computer, and it wouldn't come up, turn the computer off, take out both memory modules and install only one memory module in a slot. Turn on the computer again, if it fails, try testing that single memory module in another slot. If no results, proceed to test the other memory module in this same fashion, I'll stand by.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when i open the bottom i only see one card.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
There are not 2 memory modules (or white slots) like this correct:

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nope
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
There is normally more than one memory module on this laptop, if there is only one memory module:

graphic

But 2 slots, try switching the memory to the other slot. If there is only one memory module and 1 slot, please go ahead and put the memory back in, and close that panel up, and proceed with these steps:
  1. Turn on the computer and immediately press the esc key to display the Startup Menu.
  2. Press the System Diagnostics (F2) key, and then select the Hard Drive Test option.
  3. Allow the Hard Drive Test to complete. Test may take thirty to sixty minutes or more to complete depending on the size of the drive and the extent of the problems.

Or, tap F10, do you see any options in there to do a Hard Drive Test

Also, do you hear any disk or fans running on the laptop

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
put the card in the other slot. same issue. put it back into the original slot. started comp, hard drive test in progress.. 1 hr 13 min remaining. i only hear the fan running if i put my head up to the bottom of the laptop. should i get back to u in an hr?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Yes, please let me know how that turns out, it should definitely let us know if the hard drive has failed or if it can be repaired automatically

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hard disk test passed
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok good, then it is not your hard drive. At this point, it looks like either the memory module has gone bad, or Windows is very corrupted and will need to be reinstalled. To confirm the memory, please run that test as well in the BIOS:

graphic

If that fails, then you just need to replace the memory module, let me know.

If the memory is fine, then we will need to try reinstalling Windows, since reinstallation will erase all files, if you want to copy any of your files off the Hard drive you reinstall windows this way, you'll need to pull out the hard drive and then stick it in a usb laptop/desktop hard drive enclosure (you can get these at any nearby computer/electronic store).

You'll want to plug this enclosure into a working computer, and then you will be able to copy over all your files to it. User files are normally located under C:\Users\[your profile name]\

However these files may be located elsewhere, and you will need to make sure you copy over the files you need by searching the entire hard drive. If you are not comfortable with this you may want to have a local shop help you with this just to make sure you get all your data over. Remember that although you can copy over your files, any custom programs you installed cannot be copied over and must be reinstalled when you reinstall windows.

Then, once you've done that, you'll want to reinsert the hard drive and try a factory recovery to reinstall Windows:

Restart the computer and start tapping F10 right away, keep doing that until it brings you to a recovery screen > If you aren't able to get the recovery screen, try tapping F11 at startup.

Try the standard recovery first (You can try the destructive recovery later if that doesn't work)

Note: If you aren't able to access the built in recovery partition, it means that is corrupted as well. Boot the recovery disk that came with the computer.
If you don't have one, you can call(NNN) NNN-NNNNto get them. Compaq is now owned by HP. Once the cd comes, you'll just need to change this setting in the BIOS (so the laptop reads from the cd first, and not the hard drive):

Restart and immediately start tapping the F2 key on the keyboard, you should see a BIOS screen come up (although it may take some trial and error, if it doesn't work with F2, try F12, Delete, or Esc, one at a time).

In BIOS, go to the boot tab or Advanced BIOS features, and look for the option to set the boot priority of your CD/DVDrom to first and make sure the Hard Drive is second. SAVE and exit when done > Then restart and the computer should read from the recovery cd now, follow the prompts to reinstall Windows.

However, if HP no longer carries the recovery cd though when you call, or reinstalling Windows does not fix this, you may need to go with another computer...as this would indicate some kind of issue with motherboard that can get quite costly to repair.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
memory test in progress. ill let u know..
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
memory test passed. whats weird is after the hard disk test my mouse arrow showed up on screen and am able to use it to navigate throughout the system diagnostics with it. before i had to use the left, right, up, and down arrow keys on my keyboard to navigate. im going to try the standard recovery.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Before you try the standard recovery, have you already backed up the files you needed off the hard drive?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry after i pull out the hard drive..
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
No problem, yes please make sure you get a copy of your files over, a standard recovery is not supposed to erase and reinstall windows (as opposed to the destructive recovery) but I don't want to take any chances, it's best to make sure you've got your files over first
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok i dont have an enclosure thing for my hard drive to copy my files. im gonna have to go to a store and buy one. but i still havent fixed anything yet so idk how i feel about paying for something else but whatever. thanks.. i guess.

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I wanted to take the time to make sure we ruled out the memory and hard drive properly, as this is a rather complex problem, please follow the rest of all my directions I gave eariler and then at that time you can make a decision on if I was helpful to you today.

If not, at anytime you can emailXXX@XXXXXX.XXX at anytime and they'll refund you per JustAnswer's Customer Satisfaction Guarantee.

Thanks,
Bernie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome