Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

What is causing this: Reporting-MTA: dns; qmta12.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net

Customer Question

What is causing this: Reporting-MTA: dns; qmta12.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net [76.96.59.227]
Received-From-MTA: dns; omta13.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net [76.96.62.52]
Arrival-Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 22:19:09 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822;XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Action: failed
Status: 5.1.1
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 Denied [259e63f4.0.1542XXX-XX-XXXX.2048421.p01c12m075.mxlogic.net] (Mode: normal)
Last-attempt-Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 22:19:09 +0000
Category: Computer
Expert:  TaylorTech replied 2 years ago.

TaylorTech :

Hiya, My name is XXXX XXX I've been repairing and upgrading computers for over 10 years, I will help you to the best of my ability.

TaylorTech :

When does this error occur?

TaylorTech :

looks like an attempted mail send and it bounced back

TaylorTech :

but the more info you can provide me the better :-)

Customer : It happens for EVERY email I send him. From my computers, my iPad, my iphoneL
TaylorTech :

Does it do it to anyone else or that person only?

Customer :

That person only. I have had others on Comcast send e-mails to him, they get to him

Customer :

This has been goin on for almost 2 qweeks

TaylorTech :

Are you typing it in manually or using it from your address book?

Customer :

Both and reply to his e-mail to me.

TaylorTech :

Can you contact him and see if he has accidentally blocked your mail from coming in which will cause the bounce back

Customer :

I have and he has NOT

TaylorTech :

Have you double checked his email address for tiny mistakes?

Customer :

YES

Customer :

I have sent messages to him from 3 different emails that I have. Every one returns. They DO NOT return if I send it through the WEB

TaylorTech :

Do you use comcast direct ot through outlook etc

Customer :

Thru outlook

TaylorTech :

Ok so if you go to comcast online through web it works fine?

Customer :

Yes

TaylorTech :

The problem is, ive experienced this problem with all recipients but not an individual email returning every time

Customer :

You know I have a number of E-mails from Just answere saying that you have answered my question. Where is that answer. You are not helping me so far.

TaylorTech :

Im going to open this up as I am unsure how to proceed with this senario

Customer :

So, how long d I have to wait?

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXXXX. X will try to pick up where your previous Expert left off.

In the case of Comcast in particular, the error you are getting indicates that when the comcast server did a reverse DNS lookup on the sending IP address, it didn't resolve to the host name of the sending computer (this is usually because the PTR record doesn't exist). Comcast requires that all sending servers have a valid PTR record in their DNS zone.

Based on the message header, it appears that you are using McAfee for email protection - and that is the cause of the problem. The "mxlogic.net" server that is being used to send your email is the one being rejected by Comcast. When you are using McAfee to scan your email, it intercepts your outbound email and sends it to a server other than what you would normally use to send mail. This is generally problematic, as is desktop email scanning in general (the number one cause of email corruption).

My suggestion is that you disable McAfee email protection - there are already redundant levels of email protection - one at the server level and the realtime protection on your computer. This will solve you problem with the rejected email and other problems you are otherwise likely to have at some point.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike,

What you say is very informative, but if I ever had McAfee on ANY computer I would shoot myself.

So now what?

Please don't shoot yourself. If you do that before accepting, I will not be paid.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

I agree with you about McAfee. And once you get it on your system, you'd better want it there forever. So this is good news... sort of.

Please put down the weapon and give me a few minutes to find out if there is any other reason why this would be trying to relay through an mxlogic.net server. I'll let you know what I find out in a few minutes. I just wanted to catch you before you did anything drastic.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike,

FYI I got the guy I have been trying to e-mail to make a Gmail acct. We got his Outlook to read it and guess what, My e-mail to that adress from my outlook got to his outlook.

This is all making sense then. I am kind of an idiot because I should have realized it from the header.

It's not anything on your computer causing the problem. The problem in this case is that the sending IP address is "blacklisted". And when naive technical people start making decisions, they're usually idiodic and based on heresay vs. facts. The morons at Comcast use what's called a RTBL or "RealTime Blacklist Lookup", which checks the databases of extortionist enterprises like SORBS (Spam and Open Relay Blocking System), who "blacklist" an IP address when/if a single user reports that they have received SPAM from it. Since you (like almost everyone else) share an sending server with many other people, if one of those people has sent spam and it has resulted in being reported, the server is blocked by any receiving entity that checks email against a RTBL until it is de-listed.

I quick check of the IP address of the comcast server sending the message ( qmta12.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net [76.96.59.227]) reveals that it is, in fact, blacklisted with SORBS.

SORBS-SPAM LISTED DetailReturn codes were: 127.0.0.6 2859

16

The reason this is only hapenning when you send from Outlook is that doing so uses your local outgoing server rather than the main servers that the web mail uses. These servers are not monitored closely by comcast, and are not actively de-listed when they appear on a list.

Ultimately, the fault in this case is Comcast. It is their responsibility to keep their servers from appearing on blacklists. They are also the idiots that are using the blacklist service to block their own email server.

That's a lot of info. I can explain more detail if you have questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike,

I will get with Comcast and read what you have said, tomorrow. If it clears it up I will accept your answere then. IN the meantime you need to get a chat window that is two way. The other guy had that, you do not. I am sitting here thinking your reply would show up in the existing chat. Have a good night,

Bill

It's not me that doesn't have it. Only the original Expert that takes your question has the option of chat. If they opt-out and another Expert takes your question, as is the case here, the question converts to this format. So it's not something within my control. I've invested a significant amount of time to provide you with the detailed information that I have, so maybe a simple "thank you" would be more appropriate than telling me that I "need to" get a chat window and that the answer is only useful if Comcast does something about it.

Unfortunately, calling Comcast will not clear it up. In fact, you can expect them to say "we don't use Real Time Blacklists". I spent years designing and implementing one of the largest email service provider networks in the world. So I'm confident in the answer that I've given you, but I can't control Comcast's response or whether they do something about it. In my experience, they will not acknowledge the problem. I don't expect this to help, but I'll give you the report that I was able to pull up on the server with more specifics, since I have an "Email Service Provider"account. It gives the specific emails and computers that originated the offending messages.

SPAM Blacklist Report

I wish the answer was a more pleasant one, but my responsibility is to give you the technical facts. I think the entire "blacklist" business is borderline criminal, but the best I can do is tell it as it is.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike, I am not done with this. I am on the road at times and it does not make sense for me to communicate with you. I am home now and you are right, Comcast told me they do not blacklist. I have talked with them almost every other day. I have one person, he gave me his extension, that finally understood what was going on and said he had a friend that was a guru. I was not able to talk with him today, maybe tomorrow.

What I have proven is that if I turn off the wifi on the iphone and use the 3G, the e-mails get through. I have gone nextdoor to neighbor and used his(Comcast) wifi on my iPhone, the mail goes through. We live on a culdesac and share the main comcast line, it is the end of the line.

The only thing that I can think of is that the Motorola Surfboard is bad, but I can not see that. I am only talking 2 email addresses. One gets bounced back and the other never gets there, but I do not know it.

I looked at the links you had, I am afraid that I was not able to fully understand them.

Bill

What you describe is consistent with the explanation. When you go through the 3G connection, your are going to the mail server with a different IP address.

I can tell you for certain that the IP address of the sending email server is blacklisted.

What is the name of your computer at home? If you are not sure, right click the computer icon and select properties.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ONE of the computers is "dell"

In Outlook, what do you have listed for your outgoing (SMTP) server information?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

smtp.comcast.net

Remember I am only getting ONE returned e-mail and I am getting one e-mail that does not get to the sender, but not returned

That's not something I remember you mentioning.

In your chat transcript, you had mentioned emails to 3 people that were getting returned.

For the one that the sender is not receiving, but you are not getting a bounce back for, it will be difficult to verify what is hapenning to the email because whatever that is happens after the receiving server has accepted it. If you don't get a return saying that it wasn't deliverable, then as far as you are concerned on your side, the message was successfully sent and accepted. It's very likely that in this case the receiver has a rule or block of which they are not aware. So we have to concentrate on the one that you are getting the response about.

What happens if you send an email to yourself at comcast from Outlook?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It comes thru. I send e-mails using distribution lists. There are sometimes 30 people on the list. The ONLY one that bounces back is from Bresnan. Not sure if I told you that my neighbor, 50 ft away, is on Comcast. I went over to his house and signed in to his wireless account and sent out to Bresnan with NO problem. We live in a cul-de-sac and we share the same connection point at the curb.

Then the only thing that could possibly be responsible us the individual IP address you are being assigned at your house.

You can do a couple of things to test this. The first is sure to give you fewer headaches if it works.

First Option.

Unplug your cable modem and your router for at least an hour... overnight if you can. Reconnect the cable modem and then your router. This should get a new DHCP IP address from Comcast.

Second Option.,

Call comcast and tell them you need to reset your IP address because it's blacklisted. The main problem with this will be getting someone that understands what you are asking for.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I can leave it unplugged overnight with no problem. I have a Gateway, Modem and router in one, a Motorola Surfboard. I tried 'whats my ip' how do I know what mine really is?

Actually, that's how you do it.

Just open your browser and go to

http://whatismyip.com

That will give you your external IP address.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I got that. I will unplug it now. I will check back with you tomorrow, will you be around?
Yes, sir... I will be here. I practically live here. The only thing that's kept me away on and off over the past few days is a computer problem I've been having!