Nalosin
Nalosin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years in troubleshooting and supporting computers, networks, mobile phones and peripherials.
31004542

All if a sudden, my printer (Canon PIXMA MX870) will not print

All if a sudden, my printer (Canon PIXMA MX870) will not print and I get error notice #30,activation error.. What does this mean and what should I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nalosin replied 2 years ago.

Nalosin :

Hello

Nalosin :

I can try to help on your question

Nalosin :

Can you please write the exact error message?

Customer:

"Printer is not activated. Error Code 30"

Nalosin :

Ok. Can you try this:

Nalosin :

Open Control Panel -> Printers

Nalosin :

there right-click on your printer and select Use Printer Offline

Nalosin :

then right-click again and click Use Printer Online, then try to print something

Customer:

I don't get Use Printer Offline in the selection when I right click on the printer.

Nalosin :

Which options do you have there?

Customer:

These are the options

Customer:

Open in new window

Customer:

Browse files (with list of its own that one can open)

Customer:

Set as default printer (with list t o open)

Customer:

Prnting preferences (with list to open)

Customer:

Delete print queue (with list to open)

Customer:

Then there are 3 that deal with the scanner aspect of the machine

Customer:

Create shortcut

Customer:

Troubleshoot

Customer:

Remove device

Customer:

Properties

Customer:

That's it.

Nalosin :

Ok. Do you have CD with drivers for your printer?

Customer:

Yes

Nalosin :

Did you try to Remove device, then to install CD again

Nalosin :

When you remove it, you will need to disconnect it from USB unless it's connected wirelessly

Customer:

No, I am always hesitant to do that. Do you suppose the Troubleshoot could help or are you pretty sure there is a disconnection between the printer and the program

Nalosin :

From which program you are trying to print?

Customer:

I've tried from several programs - Word, Outlook

Nalosin :

Ok. Is your printer connected wirelessly?

Customer:

No, it is connected with wires and I checked them. They all seem to be fine.

Nalosin :

Ok. Then please right-click on device and select Remove device, then disconnect it from USB

Nalosin :

Then install CD again and when prompted connect printer

Customer:

OK

Customer:

Thank you. It is now printing but something strange happens when I try to opena .docx file (which I was going to use to test the printing). There is a problem with printing word. I am trying to follow the directions (see below) to fix it.

Customer:

This error can appear if a default printer has not been designated or if the application is unable to locate an existing default printer. To correct this problem, try one of the following in Microsoft Windows:

• If a printer or printer settings is not available after you click the File tab, and then click Print, add a printer.

• If the application cannot find an existing printer that is already installed, set the printer as the default printer.

• If a default printer is installed but the application is unable to use it, uninstall the printer driver, and then install the latest version of the printer driver.

• If the printer is on a print server, make sure the printer is available, the network is functioning, the server is not stalled, the printer is not out of paper, or the printer is not suspended by the administrator. Printing issues associated with a network printer are best handled by your local network administrator.

For more information about setting up and troubleshooting printer connections, see Windows Help and Support. (Click the Start button, and then click Help and Support.)

Nalosin :

Ok.

Nalosin :

I know what is this about

Nalosin :

You will need to open Control Panel -> Printers again

Nalosin :

then to right-click on your printer and choose option "Set as Default"

Nalosin :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes,

Customer:

I tried that but Windows seems completely blocked. When I click on :"File" I get a ping from the computer but the list of things to do under file will not open. The same thing is true for all of Windows. I can't open any of the operation options nor can I close it (hit X). What could be the problem?

Nalosin :

Can you bookmark this page (add to favorites), then restart computer and open this page again

Customer:

Yes.

Customer:

I can't getto Favorites while having your page still available on the screen. Is there another way I can get backto you?

Nalosin :

press CTRL+D

Customer:

I'm sorry but that doesn't do anything.

Customer:

What about "Save & Exit" at the bottom of the page - will that give me something I can return to?

Nalosin :

Yes, just open www.justanswer.com

Nalosin :

and you will see your questions

Nalosin :

just open this one

Nalosin :

Were you able to open this page again?

Customer:

Sorry for the delay - I got caught up on a phone call. I turned the compute off and just turned it back on and Word seems to be unlocked and I could print. So, thank you. I will click Accept

Nalosin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 8+ years in troubleshooting and supporting computers, networks, mobile phones and peripherials.