Netman70
Netman70, Computer Systems
Experience:  Network Engineer
63572512

My computer wont let me open any saved Microsoft Word documents

Customer Question

My computer won't let me open any saved Microsoft Word documents as of the past 2 days. Had no problems with my computer (3 years old) prior to this point. I can create a new Word document, just can't open existing documents that are saved on my hard drive. I used Microsoft Office 2007. Message reads...'C:\Users\KC\Documents.....Make sure that you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

Under my saved documents I can open Adobe files and Excel files, but not Word
Category: Computer
Expert:  Netman70 replied 4 years ago.

Netman70 :

Hi, Welcome to just answers, My name is Scott and I will be assisting you today.

Netman70 :

Try this Right click on the word file - click on Open with and it will ask you which program you want to use to open this file, if you dont see Word click on choose program, select Word and tell it to associate all .doc files with Word.

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

Just tried that. Didn't work. Still received the message that Windows can't find that particular file. Says make sure I typed the name correctly.

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

What is happening? Did you receive my response?

Netman70 :

Yes I am here

Netman70 :

Ok what is the exact error you are reciving

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

It says "windows can't find 'C;\Users\KC\............name of file' Make sure that you typed the name correctly, and then try again

Netman70 :

Ok one sec

Netman70 :

Did you move these word files from another computer

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

No. My computer started acting strangely about 2 days ago. Inconsistently slow when either surfing the net or accessing documents, etc. I have an external hard drive where I save all of my work files. I backed up these files 2 days ago when I became concerned about the way the computer was running. I tried to pull up one of my saved word documents from my external hard drive and got the same message.

Netman70 :

What do you have for antivirus

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

Kaspersky

Netman70 :

Ok make sure that it is updated and you should run a scan

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

I am able to open saved Adobe files and Excel files...just not Word. Do you want me to run the scan now?

Netman70 :

Yes run the scan and lets see what it finds

Netman70 :

make sure it is up to date firts

Netman70 :

first

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

ok. how do I make sure it is up to date?

Netman70 :

Do you know what version of Kaspersky you have

Netman70 :

If you try to run a scan and it is out dated it will probaly prompt you to update.

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

ok. I have Kaspersky Internet Sec. 2011 Version 11.0.400

Netman70 :

When you backed these up did you leave the files in your documents folder on your computer or did you completely remove them all to the external hard drive

Netman70 :

ok run the scan

Netman70 :

Netman70 :

It will prompt you to update if it is not

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

Scan is running now. I left the files in my doc. folder on my computer and just copied to external. I usually back up files every couple of months.

Netman70 :

Is your external harddrive plugged into your computer right now

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

On Kaspersky screen it says my data bases are up to date. Scan is proceeding. External is plugged in.

Netman70 :

Ok can you open the external drive and try to open a word file from there

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

No. Get the same error message.

Netman70 :

ok

Netman70 :

let me know when the scan finishes

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

I am doing a complete scan. I just checked and it said it would be 7 hours to complete the scan. Says I am only 1% done. I have a flash drive that has some of my Word files saved. Should I plug this into my USB and try to open a document?

Netman70 :

Sure try it

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

What happens to our conversation if I get kicked off line?

Netman70 :

you can hit ctrl and D at the same time to bookmark this page so you can come directly back here

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

OK

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

Just tried opening a file. It wouldn't open but I didn't get the same error message. It acted like it was going to open. Computer seemed to bog down. Screen turned blue like it was opening the doc., but didn't open. Said Microsoft Word across the top of the screen, but the little icons on the top left corner of most word docs were faded like I didn't have the option of choosing them. The screen remained blue....no words on the screen from the doc. itself.

Netman70 :

Ok let the scan finish and lets see what it finds

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

ok. may take some time. Saying only 5% done and estimated completion time of 6 hours

Netman70 :

Ok np,

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

unrelated question.....how does the billing work for your service?

Netman70 :

I dont know to tell you the truth, I just get credit for helping customers, I have nothing to do with the billing side of it all.

JACUSTOMER-8iy0g4lc- :

Hey. Finally got finished running Kaspersky full scan. Said it had 5 infected files, 2 suspiscious files and 1 quarantined file

Expert:  Netman70 replied 4 years ago.
Great, did it remove the infected files?