Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

How can I keep Windows 7 from rearranging my desktop icons

Customer Question

How can I keep Windows 7 from rearranging my desktop icons?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Personal Help :

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer

Personal Help :

Do the following please

Personal Help :

1. Right click on the desktop.

2. Choose "Personalize".

3. On the left side of this control pannel, click "Change desktop icons."

4. There is a box that was checked next to "Allow themes to change deskop icons."unchecked this box and restart computer.

Personal Help :

let me know if you still have the problem please

Customer:

Ok, I did that.

Personal Help :

did they auto arrange?

Customer:

How will I know? It only happens every few days. It was rearranged this morning.

Personal Help :

ok, this will stop it as it was a theme that was re-arranging them

Personal Help :

if it happens again, you can come back to this link\

Personal Help :

even after you accept the answer

Customer:

Oh, Ok.

Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
The accepted answer failed to fix the problem. The icons rearranged themselves, the very next time I rebooted.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi there

Can you right click on your desktop and make sure that "Lock Web Items on Desktop" is selected please
Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. This is Mahbub Shahin can assist you.
Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.
To prevent rearrange desktop icons, please right click on your desktop-->view-->deselect auto arrange icons. Hope it will solve your problem.

Any more question please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That option (Lock web items on desktop) does not exist. In any case, it's not web items that I want to stop being moved. It's the desktop icons.
Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.
Please follow this. To prevent rearrange desktop icons, please right click on your desktop-->view-->deselect auto arrange icons. Hope it will solve your problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please re-read my initial question. Under "already tried," see that disabling auto-arrange was the >>> FIRST <<< thing I tried.

With respect, I don't think you know how to fix this problem and would like my $38 refunded.
Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.
Please click on start type regedit hit enter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I did.
Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.
Click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER-->Software\Microsoft-->Windows-->CurrentVersion-->Policies-->Explorer

Note: Please let me know how many word do you see.
At the right side right click-->new-->DWORD (32bit) Value.
rename New Value #1 as NoSaveSettings. Close the window.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I did that too. There was no data before the edit. I created NoSaveSettings, with a data value of 0. How's that?
Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.
Nice job.
Now check your problem occurs again or not. Before leave this page please bookmark this page by pressing Ctrl+D.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I'll watch it for a few days, see if it's stable now.

I'll get back after then. Thanks again.
Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.
Ok sir. Any more question please let me know. Before leave please bookmark this page by pressing Ctrl + D

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just so you know, the suggested fix to the Registry did _NOT_ work. The icons rearranged themselves again this morning.
Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any anti virus or any anti malware ? Please check for trojan. They can change your registry. That is why after few days your problem comes again.
Please download free anti malware software from
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
and perform a full scan. Repeat the procedure again.

Then click on start type regedit hit enter HKEY_CURRENT_USER-->Software\Microsoft-->Windows-->CurrentVersion-->Policies-->Explorer

Any more question please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are two entries there. The first is (default). The second _WAS_, as you guessed, New Value #1. I changed it. That's the second time. As you can see from the history above. that's the same change I made on 2/8.

So you think it's malware that is causing the problem? I've been working with the tech support folks at Dell, and they've run malwarebytes and all manner of other programs. Currently System Mechanic is installed, along with Norton 360. For the record, each time I run System Mechanic, it says I have 100+ registry errors. I'm beginning to think that System Mechanic is, itself, a Trojan.

I'll run them all again.
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, Lindie, I'm still hoping for a permanent solution, though not very hopeful that one exists. Before getting to the core of the issue, your expert had me do all the things I'd already done, and said so in my initial inquiry. After that first answer, I mistakenly clicked the "accept" button.

I don't hold any ill will to anyone (except Microsoft, for building such a fragile product), but naturally I'd like to have the solution if one exists. If the problem is not fixable, please just say so.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

Hi, this is Michelle and i am one of the experts at JustAnswer.

As i can see in the previous posts, lots of settings have been tried to fix the issue but the problem reoccours.

I would like to check out the issue myself and try to fix it. I can do this via Remote Assistance as well.

Please let me know what times you will be availabel for the next 2 days along with your time zone so that i can schedule a remote session and try fixing this