John MBA
John MBA, Engineer
Experience:  Working as a software engineer for more than 4 years

How do I increase the memory allocation to my graphics card

Customer Question

How do I increase the memory allocation to my graphics card if there is no option to do so in bios. I have a SONY VGN TXN29N and an Intel mobile 945GM express chipset family. Video memory is currently limited to 64M. My older sony TXN15P was set to 128M.

I do alot of photography, so the video memory size makes a difference.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John MBA replied 2 years ago.

John MBA :

Hello

John MBA :

I am John and I will try to help you.

John MBA :

Which Operating system are you using ?

John MBA :

Xp or Vista or Windows 7 ?

Customer:

XP

Customer:

Hey John... thanks for helping with this...

John MBA :

Hold on

John MBA :

1. Click Start.

2. Click Control Panel.

3. Click Appearance and Themes, and then Display (or click Classic Viewand then double-click on Display).

4. Click the Settings tab.

5. Click the Advanced button.

6. Click the Intel® graphics driver's tab.

7. Click the Graphics Properties button.

8. Click the Information button in bottom-left corner or the i button in upper right corner of the window. The maximum amount of graphics memory is listed in the Maximum Graphics Memory field.

John MBA :

Tell me the values in Maximum Graphics memory and Graphics memory in use.

Customer:

8MB min, 64MB max

John MBA :

And what is the value for Graphics memory in use /

John MBA :

?

Customer:

8MB in use.

John MBA :

ok

John MBA :

let me check

Customer:

I do alot of photography and use Photoshop to process large image files, so I am using graphics memory to the fullest at this moment

John MBA :

Let me check

John MBA :

If you are using Windows XP*/Windows 2000*, a setting may be available in your computer's system BIOS that allows you to increase your graphics memory to the maximum amount (oftentimes called "Maximum DVMT"). This setting is not commonly available on laptops.

John MBA :

I will give you the instructions to check.

John MBA :

Restart the computer

John MBA :

and get into BIOS by clicking the key option showing on the booting screen.

John MBA :

Normally F2 or DEL

John MBA :

Once you are in BIOS let me know.

John MBA :

for BIOS use F2 or DEL

John MBA :

________________
1. Using the arrow keys on your keyboard navigate to the "Advanced Chipset Features" menu and press "Enter."

2. Using the arrow keys on your keyboard navigate to "VGA Share Memory Size" and press "Enter." Select a desired memory size (for example 128 Mb) for your on board video card and press "Enter."

3. Press "F10" key on your keyboard to save BIOS setting, and then "ESC" to exit BIOS and continue computer booting.

John MBA :

_______________
Let me know what happens

Customer:

This is a laptop so the bios options are quite limited. There are no video display options in this bios. Am I missing something if I can't get to"Advances Chipset Features"?

John MBA :

No. This is because you are using a laptop.

John MBA :

We can ask Sony Vaio support team whether they have any software to do that job for us.

John MBA :

I don't think they will have any options to change that, but still we can try contacting them.

John MBA :

_____________
Please don’t forget to click ACCEPT[bottom, right] so i can get paid for my work.Leave a POSITIVE feedback if satisfied. A Bonus is highly appreciated.
(You need to click ACCEPT even if you are a SUBSCRIPTION or TRIAL member)

Customer:

Thanks.. I appreciate your looking into that.. I've got to go to work now... I'll check back later.

John MBA :

Have a nice day.

Customer:

did you have any luck getting the info you needed from Sony?

John MBA :

I was not able to contact Sony because of my timings.

John MBA :

You can directly ask the question : here in the Support chat of Sony

John MBA :

Ask the same question to get any software or Bios option to get the job done.

John MBA :

As I said, as it's a laptop we may not get an option but, try that chat too.

Customer:

does this mean you are done? Is there nothing more you can do to help resolve this?

Expert:  Carl replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name isXXXXX laptop has a limited memory usage. You cannot adjust it as the software manages what you can use. The process that would help more than video memory is system memory. If you only have 1 GB consider upgrading to 2GB. If you have 2 go to 3GB or more. If you have Vista 32bit your limit is 3GB. If you have 64bit you should be able to go to 8 GB on that laptop. This makes a substantial difference in performance in Photoshop. However you can boost performance slightly by merely updating video drivers. Visit the this link and run the automatic update utility. Download all the newer drivers. Let me know if you have additional questions.
Expert:  John MBA replied 2 years ago.
Wait for sometime. I am in touch with Sony.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK... thanks
Expert:  John MBA replied 2 years ago.
I would like to forward a link to a page where you can download and install the Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family Graphics Driver Update.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNTXN29N&upd_id=3425&os_group_id=10

Please download and install the Driver update.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It won't install.. It was written solely for Vista, I am running XP. Is there an XP version of this update?
Expert:  John MBA replied 2 years ago.
Xp doesn't have updates says Sony.

Also it's not possible to increase the memory of Sony Vaio as per my communications with Sony.

So there is nothing much we can do to adjust the memory.

You can use the currently available memory only . There is no way to change it.
______________
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm surprised!!

I have only 1GB of system memory on my older TXN15P but 128MB video memory.

I have 2GB of system memory on my newer TXN29N but only 64MB video memory

It seems like a step backwards in memory allocation.

Expert:  John MBA replied 2 years ago.
In laptops changing Video memory normally won't be available. If we are using the laptop for high quality video and image editing we have to check the Graphics card values before we purchase any model.
John MBA, Engineer
Experience: Working as a software engineer for more than 4 years