authentech
authentech, Systems Admin
Experience:  I am a MS Certified Systems Engineer
58460175

My cursor is frozen, Windows 7, Dell SPS l501X laptop

Category: Computer
Expert:  authentech replied 2 years ago.

authentech :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

authentech :

If this is the first time you have seen this problem, please hold the power button down on your laptop for about 10 seconds until it turns off. You should then remove your laptop from power and pull the battery as well.

authentech :

Leave it off for about 1 minute, then plug it back in and turn it on.

authentech :

You should see that the laptop is working again like normal.

Customer:

Nope, didn't work. When this happened weeks ago the solution was something like shiftF9.

Customer:

Any ideas?

authentech :

So when you powered the computer off, and back on again, the curser was still frozen?

Customer:

Yes

authentech :

So the computer turns on like normal you just can't move the mouse?

Customer:

That's right.

authentech :

Have you tried an external USB or wireless mouse? It sounds like your touchpad is having issues

authentech :

Is there one from a desktop you can borrow?

Customer:

No, don't have one.

authentech :

Are you on another laptop now?

Customer:

Yes

authentech :

Okay, if there was a key combination that made it work it was likely a toggle for your touchpad on or off. It also likely used the Fn key or Function key and not shift

authentech :

can you tell me the service tag number on the bottom of your laptop?

Customer:

36477115813 express service tag

authentech :

hmmm..do you have just a Service Tag? it's different

authentech :

nevermind this worked.

authentech :

Fn + F3

authentech :

or Fn + F2

authentech :

It should be one of those.

Customer:

wait

authentech :

ok

authentech :

did it work?

Customer:

Did not work....interestingly, cursor works in Safe Mode

authentech :

In Safe Mode, the touchpad driver is not loaded

Customer:

Hmm

authentech :

This means you have likely disabled the touchpad driver by accident.

authentech :

I mean the touchpad.

Customer:

OK, now what

authentech :

You should boot to safe mode with networking and download the most recent touchpad driver for your machine. Do you have 32 or 64 bit?

Customer:

32

authentech :

You can reinstall the driver then it should work.

authentech :

You may also be able to click Start, right click on computer and select Manage

authentech :

then click Device Manager

authentech :

find Mouse or input devices and uninstall any driver you find there. Then reboot to normal mode.

authentech :

This can also reset the driver and make the touchpad work again

Customer:

ok, wait

authentech :

k

authentech :

How's it going?

Customer:

No luck. I can't get to the web to download the driver

authentech :

Can you download it on this computer and copy to the other with a burned CD or flash drive?

Customer:

No luck. I cannot get to web to download driver

Customer:

No luck. I cannot get to the web to download the driver

authentech :

authentech :

Did you otherwise try deleting the existing driver?

Customer:

no ...can't access web

Customer:

OK...lost you for a moment. I will try to download it and move with flashdrive

authentech :

Also you can delete the current driver in Device Manager without being online.

Customer:

OK give me 10 minutes. Do you want to stay with me or can I reconnect somehow?

authentech :

I can try to stay.

Customer:

OK

Customer:

nothing works...Dell has a keypad enable/disable button on the keyboard. this button works in safe mode but not in normal. i am talking to dell.

Customer:

dell fixed it

Customer:

thanks anyway

authentech :

How did they fix?

Customer:

told me to toggle enable button in safe mode, then try normal....it worked

authentech :

It's up to you, but if you hit Accept I get paid for my time. I understand if you'd rather not. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com and have a great weekend.

authentech :

take care

Customer:

I'll pay a starving techie anytime

authentech, Systems Admin
Experience: I am a MS Certified Systems Engineer