Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have no sound on my Dell computer, I have Windows XP, and

I have no sound on my Dell computer, I have Windows XP, and the computer is a 2002 model.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

1. What is the exact model of the Dell computer? (Like Dell Inspiron 1400)
  2. Is this a recent problem? Like few days ago the sounds was still working?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 2400. It has been several weeks,

Expert:  Jess replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for that information.

I think you are referring to Dell Dimension 2400? (Not Inspiron?)

First, let us check if your sound drivers are still intact. If it is, then we can reload the drivers if you have the drivers CD or by downloading in the Dell website.

1. Right click on My Computer
  2. Click Properties
  3. Click the Hardware tab
  4. Click the Device Manager button
  5. In the Device Manager window, please expand the Sound/Audio group by clicking on the + sign
  6. Are there UNKNOWN devices there?
  7. Are there items listed with yellow question marks?

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jess ,I did all that, and in the sound,video, and games , there was nothing in yellow, but in the other devices there was a yellow question mark, and next to that it said Multimedia Audio controller. When I clicked on that, it came up with, Update Driver, Disable, Uninstall, and Scan for hardware changes. Does that help ?I
Expert:  Jess replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for that very helpful information. It appears then that there is a problem with your Audio controller or sound card.

Please try this in the order they are presented:

In the option that you were given, please choose Update driver. Then allow the system to search your computer or the internet for the updated drivers.

If the problem still persists, please proceed to uninstall the item in the list. Click the Uninstall button. Give it time to uninstall, then restart the computer. Windows will then detect the new hardware and attempts to load the drivers. At first, it will try to load the compatible drivers automatically. If it can't find the drivers, it will ask you as to where to look for the drivers. If you have the driver CD, load it then install it from the CD.

If still that won't work, please download and install the Audio drivers from Dell website. Here is the link:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R58182&FileId=2731127076

If that won't work, please download and install the Universal Audio Architecture drivers from Microsoft. Here is the link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835221

I hope that helped. Keep me posted.
Jess
Expert:  Jess replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I noticed that you posted a duplicate question. Since the problem was not resolved yet, we can continue here.

Did you try to download the Dell drivers from this link?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835221

Keep me posted.
Jess