Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Diploma in Hardware
13934950

I started my computer this morning and the ASUS motherboard

I started my computer this morning and the ASUS motherboard screen went to the American Megatrends screen and it said "USB Device over current detected" shutting down in 15 secs. I have never seen this and the computer was working fine last night. How do I fix that?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 2 years ago.

If you are getting the following message :

"USB Device Over Current Status Detected !!"
"System Will Shut Down After 15 Seconds"

graphic

and if you are using a desktop computer, then please try the following steps first:

1 Disconnect power cables

2 Disconnect all devices connected through USB ports. If you have any USB devices connected to front panel USB ports, make sure to disconnect all including keyboard, mouse (if you are using a USB keyboard and/or mouse)

3 Then press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds and release power button

4 Reconnect power cables (do not connect any USB devices yet)

Turn it back on and check if you still get the error message Or the sysem automatically turn off after 15 seconds

If not, the next step will be to reconnect one USB device at a time and test again. When connecting devices, make sure to connect it to the USB ports present at the back of the system

If you notice the same problem after disconnecting all USB devices, then turn off the system, disconnect power cables.
Open the computer case and look for the cables connected between front panel USB ports and front panel USB header of the motherboard. If found, disconnect the cables and check again.
In the following picture, the connector marked with a red arrow is the one for front panel USB ports

On the motherboard, you will see the word USB written near the front panel USB header
graphic

If it remain same let me know the model number of the motherboard (or computer)

Thanks

Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Diploma in Hardware