Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

my cursor wont stay in the box I am trying to type in.

my cursor won't stay in the 'box' I am trying to type in. For example just typing this I have to keep clicking in box to carry on typing. It is happening in all applications - microsoft word, excel, Sage, internet explorer. The cursor just disappears and the blue bar at the top of the page/window of the software I'm trying to use fades out to light blue. Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you and providing you with the information you need. Press CTRL + D to bookmark this page.

Can you please confirm --

Is this happening on a laptop, or a desktop? If laptop, is the touchpad enabled?

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its a desktop
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.

When did this issue first occur? Did you make any change to your computer recently that may have caused this issue?

Have you tried a system restore yet?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It started 2 days ago. The only thing I did was install a Sage accountancy program, that I have installed previously on 2 other machines without any problems. No I haven't tried a system restore.
Can you click Start->All programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What will happen to the data i've entered since?
Don't worry, system restore does not affect your data. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried a system restore to 30th Jan but after reboot had a message saying system could not be rebooted to that date. Tried 31st Jan but same message
Please try to do a system restore in safe mode:

Please try this: turn off your computer. Then turn it on, and right after the black screen with white text or the computer company logo disappears, press & release key F8 repeatedly until a menu appears, then you select Safe Mode with Networking (note: if there is no menu, then try the same steps again, but this time, press key F8 a bit earlier). Then login and click Start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred. (Whether system restore works or not, please continue the next step below.)

Next, please go to Safe Mode with Networking again, then click below and click on Download Latest Version, to download and install the Malwarebytes Anti-malware software. Then scan your computer:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

(don't buy anything; just use its free feature.)

If needed, please click Start, then click on Run only if available, then type msconfig and press Enter. Then click on the Startup tab and uncheck all the boxes, except your antivirus/security program. Then click OK, and restart the computer and check.

Please let me know if there is still any issue later. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, no joy. Didn't work
Can you click Start, then click on Run only if available, then type sfc /scannow and click OK.

Can you try another mouse?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I type in sfc /scannow a message appears "files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD now". I don't have a disk. I have also tried 2 mice
Does this still happen in all programs?

Can you remove all cables/devices from the desktop, then reconnect only the keyboard/mouse/network/monitor and power cables, then turn on and check?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes still happening in all programs. I will remove devices now
OK, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Works properly only in Safe Mode. Still the same in normal mode
Please click Start, then click on Run , then type msconfig and click OK. Then click on the Services tab and check the box at Hide all Microsoft services near the bottom. Then uncheck all the services, except your antivirus/security program. Then click OK, and restart the computer and check.

If that does not work, right-click on My Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then open/expand Display adapters and right-click the item(s) under it and click on Uninstall and confirm. Then restart the computer and check.

If needed, please download and install the CCleaner program:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
, then run both the CCleaner and Registry options.

If all fails, what is the brand and model of your computer?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, nothing seems to be working. I have already cleaned the registry, de-fragged etc but nothing has changed. I have managed to find away of displaying the Administrator icon on the welcome window, so now I'm logging on as Administrator and all is OK. Clearly it's something that has changed on my User settings. So I'm guessing that I will have to delete my User account and set up a new one or just continue with Administrator
Got it; the account is corrupted. Don't delete your account (until a week later or so) to verify. You can go to Start, control panel, user accounts and create a new administrator account (keep the current administrator account safe, i.e., don't use it).

Then restart the computer and log in the new administrator account, then go to My Computer, C: drive, Documents and Settings, then sub-folders, My Documents, Desktop, and Favorites, and move the content to the similar locations on the new account.

Please let me know how it goes. Thank you.

Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All done. Thank you for your help. Would certainly use this service again. Kind regards
Great. You're welcome. Thank you very much.