Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

How do I clear up winword.exe not working on word and powe

Customer Question

How do I clear up winword.exe not working on word and powerpoint
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.

Can you explain this a bit more, Winword.exe is the same as Word, but different from powerpoint, is neither program opening at all when you try to open them?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Neither program is opening. When I open word I get winword.exe stop working. When I open powerpoint I get powerpnt.exe stop working. I can open excel with no problems
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I see, how long ago did this issue first start?

Are you using Office 2010, or 2007, 2003?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Started late Sunday, January 29, 2012. I am using Office 2010. I purchased the computer brand new in July 2010.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Since this started happening fairly recently, lets try this: Click the Windows Start button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Follow the prompts to pick a restore date and time before your issue occured. You may need to check the show more restore points box to see more dates to pick. Make sure it says system restore successfully completed after it restarts your computer (let me know if it doesn't), then check if the issue is still there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I getting the following message

Windows cannot find c:\Window\system32\rstrui.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Lets try these steps:

(1) Power off and then turn on the computer, and as soon as it starts booting up again, immediately start tapping F8 until you come to the advanced boot menu

(2) From there, select Repair your Computer > Click Next > Select the Repair your Computer button

(3) If it asks, pick your language and keyboard input method > Choose your user account, type your password XXXXX you have one and press ok

(4) If it tries to, let it scan and try to repair your issue automatically, wait until that is done, and if it asks if you would like to restore to an earlier date, use that > If it brings you to a recovery tools page instead like the one shown below, use system restore to restore the computer to working date.

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That did not work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is what I am getting when I tried to open Word and Powerpoint

Windows is checking for a solution to the problem

This may take several minutes

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solutions is available.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
need an answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
need an answer
Expert:  PCDrMiller replied 2 years ago.

I would suggest another method of repairing your office installation.

Please click on start -> control panel -> Programs -> Programs and features.

----

Scroll down and locate Microsoft Office 2010 in the programs list.

Right click on it and choose change.

At the setup screen that comes up, choose repair. This should repair your office installation and get it working again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I choose Microsoft office Home and Student 2010-English

Yes, right click on that program and choose change...Then on the setup screen that comes up choose repair.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Downloading Microsoft Word 2010(99%). Is this normal?

That seems to indicate you have a trial version of Office installed, did you in fact purchase the full version or are just using the trial version that was installed on your computer?

Do you have an Office 2010 CD to re-install from? Or has the download completed?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The download was completed, however the problem is still there. When I open word I get winword.exe stop working. When I open powerpoint I get powerpnt.exe stop working. I can open excel with no problems
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do have an office 2010 reinstallation DVD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Did you try the repair on the office install? Did it ever complete?

The DVD that you have is for Office 2010 correct, not the windows 7 setup DVD. It should say Office 2010 on it. If the repair did not resolve your problem, I would suggest you insert the DVD and install office again using the DVD.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is what the DVD says

Reinstallation DVD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I also have a Microsoft Product Identifier that Dell sent to me.

It says

The manufacturer of your personal computer has licensed the Microsoft products listed in this card. This cerificate of authenticity is your accurance that the following Microsoft products you have received are legally licensed to you from Dell.

This card includes the activation key for your Microsoft Office 2010 product. Keep this card in a safe place as you will need the activation key for any software recovery.

Ok, I think that means office was pre-installed on your computer and the DVD you have is for re-installing Windows, which is not really what you want to do.

-----

Can you please open excel, then go to file -> help

On the right side, you should see where it says

About Microsoft Excel

version 14.0.xxxxx (32-bit) or (64-bit)

Can you please tell me what it says on the version line? and if it says 32 or 64 bit?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
14.0.6112.5000 (32-Bit)

Ok, I was hoping you had an older version and I could suggest downloading and installing Office 2010 Service Pack 1.

------

Please try this, click on start and type in the following in the search box at the bottom.

winword /safe

Does that allow word to open in safe mode?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I type in winword/safe, it is giving me no items match your search.

Push enter after you type in winword /safe

There needs to be a space after winword before the /safe

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am getting No items match your search.

That is strange. Can you please click on start -> computer.

Then select the c: drive

Then double click on the program files (x86) folder

Then Microsoft Office

Then Office 14.

Scroll down in that folder and try to locate winword or Winword.exe

Is it listed there? If so, double click on it. If it is not listed, please let me know.

Also check for PowerPnt.exe.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

winword or winword.exe or powerpnt.exe is not there.

I guess that would explain why they are not working. Do you have the product key for your office install? You indicated earlier that

"This card includes the activation key for your Microsoft Office 2010 product. Keep this card in a safe place as you will need the activation key for any software recovery."

Do you have that card with the 25 character product key on it?

If so, you may be able to download and reinstall office from this website.

https://www1.downloadoffice2010.microsoft.com/usa/registerkey.aspx?ref=pkc&culture=en-US

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have it

Ok good, enter the code on the site and try to download the office installation software to re-install. That should resolve your problem.

-----

If you are not able to download it there, I think you could load the trial version from this site and then use your code to activate it.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/try/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is doing the following

Repairing Microsoft Office Home and Student 2011-English. This might take a few minutes.

It has been doing this while. How long does it usually take?

Could take 20-30 minutes tops. Should be faster than that. I would let it continue and not interrupt.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/try/

It says it was repair. I tried opening Word and still says winword.exe is not working.

I even did the following

Then select the c: drive

Then Microsoft Office

Then Office 14.

Also check for PowerPnt.exe.

Neither one is listed.

Please someone help.

I am out of ideas, I will open this question for other experts to help. sorry I was not able to assist.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am also getting the following pop up on the lower right hand screen.

Microsoft office is downloading the required feature. Microsoft may appear unresponsive temporarily as the the required files are downloaded.

This message was appearing before today, February 2, 2012. I am very frustrated this matter is taken this long to be cleared up.

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX will try to pick up where your previous Expert left off.

When you launch an Office Application, like Word, do you see anything on the initial splash screen that says "click to run"?

There are two types of Office installations, and I suspect this has something to do with it. If so, I can help you convert.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it says click to run.

I am still open excell with no problems.

The only programs I having problems with is powerpoint and word.

Ok... then I'm pretty sure you can clear this up by converting to the "installed" version. The Click to Run software is an odd hybrid of files on your computer and the software actually running on Microsoft Servers remotely. That's why you can't find the files you need to find - shortucts don't point to anything, it's confusing.

You will have to convert the entire Microsoft Office Suite, but even if you didn't, I would have recomended it anyway.

Let me put those instructions together for you and get them to you in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
    1. Save all work, and then close all programs.
    2. In Control Panel, open Programs and Features to see a list of installed programs.
    3. Click Microsoft Office Click-To-Run 2010, and then click Uninstall.
    4. To remove Microsoft Office Click-to-Run, click Yes.
    5. Go to the Microsoft Office alternative fulfillment page.
    6. Click My account.
    7. Click Download, and then click Advanced options.
    8. Follow the instructions.
    9. To install the full Microsoft Office edition, run SingleImage.exe.
    10. When prompted, type your Product Key to continue.

I suggest restarting your computer after uninstalling the current software. Also, if you have other Office components uninstall those at the same time (like Office compatibility pack, or add ons).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is giving me the following options

32 Bit

64 Bit

Click to Run

I am not see the following the option

1. To install the full Microsoft Office edition, run SingleImage.exe.
  2. Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you there? I sent a reply earlier.

32 Bit is the selection your want.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I enter the Product Key that came with the computer when I purchased the computer or use the one I down loaded earlier?

Kimberly

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you back on line? I sent a reply.

Kimberly

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please let me know when you are back online.

Kimberly

Sorry... I wasn't online. If you purchased it online, then use the code that you received when you did that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    If my chance the lights go out if the installation is not completed. What would I need to do? It is trying to rain here in Houston, Texas.
    I know one thing you've never been called - "Lucky".

If you can avoid doing it when you think the power might go out, I would suggest it. However, it SHOULD continue the install when you start back up, should you be plunged into darkness during the install.

If Houston power grid is anything like Rhode Island, though, there might be a new versioon of Office out before you get your power back. Undecided

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The product key that used failed. How do get back to this step

To install the full Microsoft Office edition, run SingleImage.exe

I am try using the one I received when I purchased the computer.

I am screaming and furious.

I know you are trying. So please stay with me.

Kimberly

Did you already download the SingleImage.exe? I think you have. If that's the case, just go back to that file and double click on it again.

You would have downloaded the file during the previous steps. The file should be located in your downloads directory, but if you don't find it there, you can try searching for the file using the full name. If you need to, you can go back to the accounts page and download it again, but I know that's a huge download.

I empathize with you - I really do. I want to help you get this fixed, so I'm not going anywhere.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I apolize (sp) I guess I am not understanding how to get back to singleimage.exe. When I was told to do the following (see below), I first tried option 1 and when that did not work I tried Option 2 and did it has a free trial. I should not have to buy a new program since when I purchased the computer, is this correct. If I need to purchase another download please let me know. (I hope this makes since). Please see option 2 for comment.

Option 1

Enter the code on the site and try to download the office installation software to re-install. That should resolve your problem.

Option 2 (When I did this option, it did not give me an option to enter the product key that I receieved when I purchased the computer in July 2010. I was provided with a new product key number).

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/try/

I think you might have missed the first part of my directions. Getting the file starts at step 5 below. You should be able to get into the download by logging into your online Live account to get to "My Account..." etc.

If that's not what you are seeing there, please let me know.

6. Click My account.
    8. Follow the instructions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok

This is what is doing

I did step number 6, 7, click on 32 bits and it is downloading what I did last night and took 5 hours.

After it downloaded, it took me to 9 after completed 9 it prompted me to do 10. I did that with the product number I downloaded from and it failed.

Make sure you download it to a known location so you can go to it again if you need it.

When you say that it failed, what exactly do you mean? Did it take your key? If it fails again, please note the exact error message - I will need that to figure out what went wrong.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok

It took the key number and it started installing and it failed. I forgot to write down what it said. When it failed I was thinking not again.

Make sure you write it down if it fails again. Also, make sure you know where the file downloaded to so you don't have to download again. Before doing the install, please do the following to make sure the previous version is completely gone.

Microsoft Fixit Office 2010 Uninstaller

Then run th general install uninstall Fixit from this page.

Install/uninstall Fixit Utility
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After it downloaded (it did not long this time) It gave me the following

Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to the computer?

SingleImage

I clicked yes.

Now it is telling me to put in put in the product key (I have not done this)

I also did the following and saved it

Microsoft Fixit Office 2010 Uninstaller

When do I do the following (before I put in the product key or after)

Install/uninstall Fixit Utility

Microsoft Fixit Office 2010 Uninstaller

When I do the following (before I put in the product and or after)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After I sent you the previous reply, I received the following pop up

Unable to download Microsoft Fixit 50450,msi from download.microsoft.com

The connection with the server was reset.

Do I need to click ok?

Yes, click OK.

You can only run one thing at a time to install, so you can try finishing the office install, or cancel that, run the fixit utilities and then install again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am doing the following now

Install/uninstall Fixit Utility

It is loading now. Will this take a while? After loading I will put in the product key number, correct?

I need to be somewhere at 6:00 p.m. CST, how long will be on line tonight?

I maybe back at 9:00 p.m. (CST) or so. I will let you know I am back.

Thanks for all your help.

I will most like be on when you are back. If not, you can still leave me a message.

Yes, put the key in when it asks for it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After doing the following

Install/uninstall Fixit Utility

I received the following message.

Thank you for running an automated troubleshooter from Microsoft. We did not delected any problems and therefore no fixes and therefore no fixes were applied

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After putting the product key in and it accepted to. It started installing, after few minutes it gave me the following message

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 trial encountered an error during setup.

Error 25004. The product key you entered cannot be used on this machine. This is most

likely due to previous office 2010 trials being installed (System error: -1073422306)

This product key you currently have - is it a trial product key? I thought you had mentioned that you had purchased it. Maybe I misunderstood and the product key came through Dell and not from Microsoft Directly?

I hate to do this to you, but if that's the case, try going through the install again with the Office Key that Dell gave to you. I don't know for sure that the download and the Dell key will work together, but it's worth trying.

Also, the DVD that you have from Dell... is that an Office DVD?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I used the product key that came with the machine, Microsoft Home and Student is now working.

One more question

When I try to open Word and Powerpoint from the start button, I am getting the following message: The Item CVH.Exe that this shortcut refers to has been changed or move, so this shortcut will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut? (yes or No). If no, what do I need to do get it working again.

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
    That' is fantastic!

Since your original question of getting through the install is answered, and for this we would be reasearching a different root cause, would you mind opening a followup question directly with me after "accepting" this one. If you have a subscription, it doesn't cost additional, and it keeps me out of hot waer with management.

You can do it right at this link.

Ask XXXXX XXXXXnigan your Computer Questions on JustAnswer

Thank you!
    Experience: 20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt