Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

Outlook keeps freezing and not responding. It happens if I

Outlook keeps freezing and not responding. It happens if I click to open an email and the program is just about to undertake or is in the midst of sending and receiving. Please help because I am having to work through googlemail and not Outlook.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

Please try to open MS Outlook is Safe Mode. Here are the steps:

1. Close MS Outlook it is it still running
  2. Then click on Start => All Programs => MS Office => Locate the MS Outlook shortcut
  3. Don't click on it yet. Instead, press the CTRL key in your keyboard and hold it, then click the MS Outlook icon to open it
  4. That should open MS Outlook in Safe Mode. If you get a prompt, click on OK or YES to confirm the action
  5. Then see if the problem is gone.

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks that worked perfectly. Can you explain why it keeps happening and if there is anything I can do to stop it happening in the future.
Expert:  Jess replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for writing back. I am glad that it worked this time. You can try to do it that way (opening MS Outlook in Safe Mode) or you can disable all plugins in your MS Outlook and it should work normally even if it is not running in Safe Mode.

What is in Safe Mode? Well, in Safe Mode, MS Outlook started without all plugins. So alternatively, you can manually disable your Outlook plugins, or even disable it one at a time to see as to what plugin is causing the problem, then leave the good plugins enabled and only disable the plugin that is causing the problem.

For more information in plugins, please click on this link:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/enable-or-disable-add-ins-in-office-programs-HA010034127.aspx

I hope you find my answer helpful. If you do, please Accept and leave a positive feedback if you are satisfied. A bonus is always greatly appreciated.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

If the problem is NOT solved, please do not leave a negative feedback. Instead, post a REPLY so that we can continue further.

Best regards,
Jess