YavacoTech
YavacoTech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  50 years experience in electronics - PC instruction, repair, networking and operating systems.
56284950

MY GATEWAY DX4831-01e IS UNEXPECTEDLY GOING BLACK AND RESTARTING.

MY GATEWAY DX4831-01e IS UNEXPECTEDLY GOING BLACK AND RESTARTING. I HAVE CLEANED AND DUSTED, UPGRADED THE POWER SUPPLY, CHECKED SEATING OF ALL CARDS AND PLUGS ON THE MOTHERBOARD.

YavacoTech :

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm looking forward to helping you resolve your computer related problems.

Does it startup normally and then go blak or does it dail to start?

Rich
Yavacotech

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Starts normally. Stops at any time without warning, then restarts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It can go hours with no problems, but just when I think I have it figured out, it does it again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Am I still connected ?

Assuming that your CPU fan is up to speed and the internal case temperature is not building up too much it's hard to diagnose these kind of problems.

Did you ever try to fix something that's working? Frown Real old gateway desktops used to have a problem like this due to swollen capacitors on the Mobo. But I doubt if your machine is that old as you are running win 7.

There's no sense in guessing and just replacing components at random. Sorry, I don't have a better answer but I would leave it on continuously (with all my data backed up) and wait for the problem to get worse to the point where it fails almost all the time and the problem can be isolated.

Regards,

Rich

Yavacotech

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

According to the computer health status in the BIOS/cmos, the CPU fan is functioning usually around 1000-1300 rpm, and I have relocated the tower to a place where there is no restrition to the air flow of either fan. This unit is not yet two years old (built January 2010 according to a stamp on the inside of the case). "Watchful waiting" is not an option. I've been doing that for nearly two months and, if anything, the incidents have become less frequent.

.

While waiting, it shut down again and restarted.

I did find the cpu fan running at 1377 rpm. cpu temp of 25 and system temp of 40c. If heat could be an issue, there is a vent for another fan which I could install pretty easily and inexpensively

The only thing I can think of is to remove, clean and re-install the RAM one stick at a time. If this doesn't work let me know and I'll opt-out and open this question to all computer experts. Hopefully another expert will have another approach.

Regards,

Rich

Yavacotech

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's 12:30 a.m. here, and I'm not going to open up the case again tonight. I'll try again tomorrow with removing the RAM. This was one of my suspicions. Any suggestions on what to clean them with ?

Yes, use 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Regards,

Rich

Thank you for accepting and for the feedback. If I can be of further help, message me back any time.

Do not click of accept again - th following is for your reference only.

The approach to problem solving is half the battle!

To work with me directly on FUTURE (not the present) computer issues, please bookmark the following URL:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-yavacotech

Then start you new question with "For Yavacotech Only" Thanks, Rich

NOTE: The ONLY way that I can be paid by JA for helping you is if you click ACCEPT! While an optional bonus is always appreciated, POSITIVE FEEDBACK is very important to me. In order to submit your feedback rating and comment, you MUST click one of the two "leave feedback" LINKS located in the bottom right corner of your acceptance page!

Please do not leave negative feedback. Message me back and if I cannot resolve your problem, I will open it to all Computer Experts to save you time (at no additional cost to you). Also, if you are an active subscription customer, clicking on ACCEPT will NOT result in your being charged for my answer, as my answer will be paid for by Just Answer under the terms of your subscription.