David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience

The keyboard on my emachine (Windows Vista) stopped working.

Customer Question

The keyboard on my emachine (Windows Vista) stopped working. Well some of the keys worked but got weird results, like if I hit k I got k[. Anyway, I thought something might have spilled on it, so I bought another keyboard. It worked fine for 2 days. Now the Caps Lock won''t work and most of the letters don't work either. Any ideas?
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 2 years ago.

My name is David.

If the issue first happened recently, performing a system restore may resolve the issue by rolling back the computer configuration to the previous working state. To do this

click the Windows Start button then All Programs, then Accessories then System Restore. Click Next and then click a restore point dated prior to when the issue first occurred and click Next. Confirm the System Restore and the restore will be applied and the computer will reboot. Then retest to see if the issue is resolved.

Note that System Restore is reversible and does not impact your personal files.

David L, Systems Engineer
Experience: Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not at my home computer right now. So I will try your solution and see how it works. Do I just log in at home or can I email you. I have an issue with typing on my home computer.
Expert:  David L replied 2 years ago.
You can login to this page at your home as well. Click the File menu in the web browser and click Send Link or Send then select Email and then send a link for this web page to yourself. Then when you are at home you can access this page using the link to this page that you just emailed to yourself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, I'll try it at home and then get back to you.
Expert:  David L replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks. I will check back when you post your next response.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Restore poit is today's date It started 1/13 or so

So I uess ur aswr would work if i could use tat date

could a virus do tis?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

T e restore poi ts are too rece t

Expert:  David L replied 2 years ago.
Yes, a virus could be causing the problem. If you do not have a restore point dated prior to 01/13 then click the link below and download and install the free versino of the Malwarebytes antivirus software.

click here

Then reboot and press and hold the F8 key before the Windows logo appears then login and run a full scan with Malwarebytes and delete any malware found. Then reboot into Normal mode and test the keyboard.