MikeW, Computer Engineer
Experience:  32+ years Computer and Networking Experience

My Eee PC 1015PE wont boot and says error loading operating

Customer Question

My Eee PC 1015PE won't boot and says error loading operating system. It is running Window 7 starter. I have tried the f9 at start-up but that doesn't work either. Any suggestions?
Category: Computer
Expert:  MikeW replied 4 years ago.

mikew4950 :

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll try to assist you.

mikew4950 :

that error means that you either have a bad hard drive or the windows is corrupted.

mikew4950 :

I need you to turn on the pc and start tapping the F8 key about once a second to see if it will come up to a startup menu.

mikew4950 :

Try getting into the setup by tapping the F2 key. If you can get into BIOS setup go to the Boot tab and select Boot Device Priority and make sure the hard drive is selected as the first boot device.

mikew4950 :

If the hard drive is selected as the first boot device and it will not respond the the F9 or F8 key then the hard drive is bad. It's probably still under warranty so I would contact Asus for warrany repair. 1-888-678-3688 - 24/7.

I have been into bios setup and have confirmed that the HDD is the priority boot device. When you I stop pressing F8?

Expert:  MikeW replied 4 years ago.

Turn on the PC and immediately start pressing the F8 key to see if it will bring up a startup menu. If it does then select the Repair Computer option and hit enter to see if that brings up the screen to allow a system recovery. If so, follow the prompts to perform a factory restore (complete system recovery).

If none of this works, then the next step would be to reinstall Windows from a disc. The issue there would be that since your pc doesn't have a CD drive you would need to either purchase an external CD drive or take it to a shop to have it done. You would also need a recovery cd which you may not have. If this is the case I would recommend calling asus for warranty repair and I'm sure they would assist you. They wouldn't be able to say for sure it was not a hard drive problem and the hard drive would be covered under warranty.