Yegarboy
Yegarboy, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert Computer Diagnostician
18042535

My screen seems washed out and I cant see buttons, tabs and

My screen seems washed out and I can't see buttons, tabs and scroll bars on many applications and on the web. I have tried all the contrast and brightness settings as well as color saturation adjustments...I have asked the help desk where I bought the laptop. Is there some test I can perform or some place I can bring it to get it fixed? This webpage is washed out...the three columns below are barely visible - it isn't important to what I need to do on this page, but the same problem on other web page really irritates me because it is important to what I am trying to do on that page. Please help....thanks!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.

Yegarboy :

Welcome To Just Answer!

Yegarboy :

Do you mean things are blurry and distorted?

Customer:

no...just not visable...not enough contrast is the best way to explain it i guess

Customer:

does that make any sense?

Yegarboy :

It does

Yegarboy :

Lets try a few things ok

Customer:

k

Yegarboy :

Click Start

Yegarboy :

Control panel

Yegarboy :

Display

Customer:

ok

Yegarboy :

On the top left click Adjust Brightness

Yegarboy :

And Select the balanced Plan

Customer:

k

Yegarboy :

Did the screen refresh?

Customer:

that does not help, brighter for sure, but does not help the problem

Yegarboy :

ok

Yegarboy :

What about resalution? Have you messed with that?

Customer:

i think so but will try again...

Yegarboy :

Ok

Customer:

how do i do that?

Yegarboy :

Right click your desktop and select Screen Resalution from the menu

Customer:

k

Yegarboy :

Then select Advanced Settings ..Its a little blue link on the right in the middle

Customer:

yep

Yegarboy :

What type of display driver does it show? Nvidia Ati?

Customer:

ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Yegarboy :

Ok, does it have a trouble shooting feature in there?

Customer:

yes..but it doesn't allow me to change settings... the button is gray'd out

Yegarboy :

Ok, what about the option to start the ATI control panel?

Customer:

tabs are color management, adapter, monitor, troubleshoot and ATI Catalyst Control Center

Yegarboy :

Control Center please

Customer:

ok, i started it and i can go to the info center, easy setup wizard or quick settings

Yegarboy :

Easy setup

Customer:

got it

Yegarboy :

Follow the prompts and tell me when its done

Customer:

finished..there is only one setting...desktop area 1366X768 then finish...

Customer:

there is a "advanced..." button at the bottom of easy set up wizards

Customer:

should i go there?

Yegarboy :

Yeah ckeck it out

Yegarboy :

Tell me whats there?

Customer:

ok...new window...graphics software and graphics hardware tabs...system information button

Yegarboy :

Has it made a difference yet?

Customer:

lol...no

Customer:

haven't changed anything

Yegarboy :

Ok, click graphics software

Customer:

has a list of items and values associatied with the items

Customer:

system info button????

Yegarboy :

Can you find a Restore button?

Customer:

no...not that i cna see...hold on a sec

Yegarboy :

ok

Customer:

at the top of hte ATI Info Center window.... there is an options button...a house...and a question mark....options has preferences, hotkeys profile and help

Yegarboy :

Ok, scratch that. Whats the make and model number of you laptop?

Customer:

preferences has restore fac defaults but i am not sure it ever was different than now so don't think that would help...

Customer:

ACER Aspire 5534

Yegarboy :

Ok just a minute

Customer:

should i restore fac defaults just for "fun"???

Yegarboy :

You can try it

Yegarboy :

I am getting the new driver ready

Customer:

k...i tried a button to search for drivers too...it came back with...driver software for your device is up to date...generic PnP Monitor

Yegarboy :

yeah windows driver update suck :)

Customer:

ok...i'm open to suggestions

Yegarboy :

Click HERE for the driver page The driver you want is

VGAATIVGA Driver - This update ensures pages viewed in Internet explorer display correctly when using battery power. The OpenGL algorithm is adjusted to prevent invalid LCD backlight and gamma settings.8.63599.9 MB2009/11/17
Yegarboy :

Ohh wait

Yegarboy :

what version of 7 do you have 32 or 64?

Customer:

64

Yegarboy :

Crap

Yegarboy :

hold on lol

Yegarboy :

Ok

Yegarboy :

Yegarboy :

Just make sure to select win 7 64 and that the driver version is 8.635

Yegarboy :

Did ya get the right one?

Customer:

almost there

Customer:

downloading...six minutes left

Yegarboy :

ok

Yegarboy :

Do you want the good news or the bad?

Customer:

lol...bad first

Yegarboy :

The bad news is, if this doesnt work then its a hardware problem. Most likely a bad LCD inverter or LCD screen.

Customer:

and the good news?

Customer:

btw..i don't think it was ever different (good) and it's only a year old

Yegarboy :

This should fix it. Installing a new driver with the software interface wipes all settings to default

Yegarboy :

Thats not good

Yegarboy :

And its done this the whole time?

Customer:

ummm i can't remember it being different...but it could have been getting gradually worse and worse but if that is the case....it was subtle...

Yegarboy :

Ok

Customer:

1 minute left

Yegarboy :

ok

Yegarboy :

Let me know when it wants you to restart, Just bookmark this page to come back to it

Customer:

ok...it's downloaded....and i bookmarked this page so hang tight...see ya'

Yegarboy :

ok

Customer:

ok, rebooting now, see ya on the other side

Customer:

ok...back

Yegarboy :

Ok good

Yegarboy :

How did it go

Customer:

should i notice a difference... or do i need to adjust contrast in display setting??

Yegarboy :

It should have been instant day and night difference

Customer:

umm...playing around with windows that I had the problem adn see a slight difference...still tring to check it out..hang in there with me

Yegarboy :

i sure will

Customer:

it certainly didn'

Customer:

well...it certainly didn't make it worse :-)

Yegarboy :

Hmm. lol it really sucks tho

Customer:

i think it made it better...it seems like when I change the brightness it makes a bigger difference so i have more flexibility and that's good i suppose

Yegarboy :

Well good..If your happy with the service i provided kindly press Accept as that is the only way I get paid for my work. But if your unhappy I apologize.

Yegarboy :

I would recomend having a pc shop glance at it.

Customer:

if i want it to be even better is there a place you would suggest i go to?... i took it to micro center today

Customer:

they acted like it was my imagination...

Customer:

i think it is better...not night and day ... but better

Yegarboy :

Hmm. geek squad is ok, so are the people at circuit city.

Customer:

ok...that's what my husband just said...geek squad...i'll play with it some more and go from there but it's better for now...thanks!

Yegarboy :

I would Google PC repair for the city you live in. Call around and see whos the cheapest to diagnose.

Customer:

k

Yegarboy :

Your welcome

Customer:

take care...thanks again...g'nite

Yegarboy :

Nite

Yegarboy, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Expert Computer Diagnostician