Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.

How can I recover my default program settings? We accidently

Customer Question

How can I recover my default program settings? We accidently changed them all to the same program. Thank You!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you and providing you with the information you need. Press CTRL + D to bookmark this page.

Please try performing a system restore to see if you can go back and resolve that issue.

Please go to

Start menu --> All programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Restore

Once there, please pick the option that states you want to restore back to a previous date, and go back to before that problem occurred by at least a few days (if possible), and once you’ve picked the date, go through the wizard and then your computer will be restored back to that date (which will require a restart). Let me know how it goes; thank you.

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When my wife was searching for a file she accidently set everything to open in adobe acrobat
OK; please try performing a system restore to see if you can go back and resolve that issue.

Please go to

FS
Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience: Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Even the system restore opens in adobe - everything tries to open in adobe!
Please reboot and repeatedly press F8 and select safe mode with networking while it is booting up and then you should be able to complete the system restore.

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm in safe mode - its still opening everything in adobe - even in safe mode! Pls don't give up on me!
Are you able to open up Internet explorer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No - I'm using my iPad to speak to you - my house computer is in safe mode
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just figured out how to get to the Internet - what next?
Follow these steps.

1. Click Start, then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type explorer and then click OK.
  3. Navigate to the Windows directory (e.g. a typical path may be C:\Windows) and locate regedit.exe.
  4. Right-click on regedit.exe and select Run as. Uncheck "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity" and click OK.
  5. Using Regedit, locate and then click on the following registry key:
    HKeyCurrentUser\Software\Classes
  6. On the left panel, right-click on the following registry subkey: '.exe'
  7. Select Delete and then click OK.
  8. On the left panel, right-click on the following registry subkey:
    'secfile'
  9. Select Delete and then click OK.
  10. Close Registry Editor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Step 6 and 8 are cut off. What do I need to delete?
Using Regedit, locate and then click on the following registry key:
HKeyCurrentUser\Software\Classes
On the left panel, right-click on the following registry subkey: '.exe'
Select Delete and then click OK.
On the left panel, right-click on the following registry subkey:
'secfile'
Select Delete and then click OK.
Close Registry Editor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Those registry sub keys are not there.
Look in the left column. They're in alpha order.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There's nothing labeled as .exe. It goes from CLSID to FCIC32 - there's nothing in between there not there
OK; but you're able to get on the Internet on that computer, right?

If so, I want you to go to the following web page and click 'download file' then run the registry file:

http://is.gd/vgLuee

Click download file, run the regkey, restart, and that should be it!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope "cannot import not all data was successfully written to the registry . Some keys are open by the system or other processes."
And you restarted after getting that message? Did you close the registry editor before running taht file?

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I tried it several more times. What keys are open? How do I close them?
Are you trying that in Safe Mode?

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did it in both safe mode and normal start up mode - I got the same message both times.
OK

Please go to this page:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Next to number 12, please click EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP

Then run that exe fix instead. Let me know how it goes.

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Same message - in both normal and safe mode "some keys are open by the system or other processes."
Can you log into another user account and see if the same problem occurs?

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That did it - sorry for the long night
You're welcome! Glad I was able to help :)

(No reply required)

FS