Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.

How do I reset password on my Western Digital SmartWare?

Customer Question

Forgot my password  for WD SmartWare, how can I reset without losing my data (just had surgery and anesthesia causes me to forget things): Western Digital My Book Essential 2 TB with a power button and recessed (reset?) button, both on the back of the drive.

Category: Computer
Expert:  Waitongu2 replied 4 years ago.

1> Try Another Computer

2> Another USB Cable

3> Contact WD Support

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tried 3 USB cables on two different USB ports on my laptop instead of my desktop, both Windows 7 machines, no difference. Tried normal password 10 times and several others.

WD support will not help.

Expert:  Waitongu2 replied 4 years ago.

Sorry about that,

I see WD will not help because they do not have any recorded information. The only other thing I can think of short og erasing your Hard drive it to try and remove Smart ware

Let me know if this is something you are willing to try.

Disable SmartWare VCD in Windows1

• Click the "Start" button and type "smartware" in the search box.

• Select "WD SmartWare" and press "Enter."
  • Click "Settings" and select "Set Up Drive."
  • Click the "Virtual CD" button.
  • Select "Disable VCD" and click "Apply VCD Settings."
  • Unplug the USB and power cables from the Western Digital drive.
  • Wait 10 seconds, then reconnect the USB and power cables

Read more: How to Disable SmartWare |

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will I lose my data if I do this?
Expert:  Waitongu2 replied 4 years ago.

I dont think you will because all we are doing is removing Smartware. but instead of taking the chance lets install Smartware on a different computer and see if you are going to get the same error.

I hate to say this but if we do not get the password Erasing the drive will be the only way out. I would say hold off on it till you are recovered and probably the short term memory will come back and then you may not have to loose the data.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I thought that Smartware was a hardware encryption and that there might be a way to reset the password by using the power and/or reset button in combination with unplugging both cables.

I have seen ways to remove Smartware but you lose the data. My whole point in using this service was to find a way to remove without losing data.

Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 4 years ago.

I'm really sorry to let you know that there is no way to reset the password without formatting the drive. The hard drive password is for protecting your data; on one can crack it. Even professional data recovery service cannot recover your data:

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about this thread:

What about this software:

I am waiting on a response from WD about their recommended recovery services, thought that someone else would know.
No, it won't work; data recovery service may only recover deleted files or corrupted hard drive. If it works, then it would be a good business for data recovery service as many people forget their hard drive passwords:

OK, please take your time and confirm with WD. Thank you.