Brad
Brad, Computer Technician
Experience:  20 + years, cert. Win NT, xp, vista Windows 7, Net sec
669790

I have a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410y Desktop PC. The Serial

I have a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410y Desktop PC. The Serial Number: 4CE03215JP. Product Number: bm425aa#aba. - I need to know if my computer can handle either a Phenom II X6 1090T (3,2 GHz) or - Phenom II X6 1055T (2,8 GHz)? I would perfer to get a processor that is unlocked! I have a 1045T 2.7 Ghz processor now. I also have Bios version/date--- AMI 6.02 7/21/2010 and Bios Version 2.6 Please contact me and let me know if I can get either upgrade or higher and do I need to update my bios? If I do I need help doing the update Thanks Paul
Category: Computer
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

According to HP the max wattage the cpu can be is 95

Brad :

It supports:

Brad :

• Max TDP: 95W

• Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    [IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

NOTE:Only Socket AM3 processors are supported with this motherboard.

• AMD Phenom II X6 10xxT Six-Core (Thuban core)

• AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb core)

• AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka core)

• AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto core)

• AMD Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)

• AMD Athlon X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)

• AMD Athlon X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)

• AMD Sempron Single Core 1xx (Sargas core)

Memory
Brad :

There is no BIOS upgrade for it so if it tanks that computer due to BIOS you could be in trouble

Customer:

I have already got the list under the socket am3 processor statement and the rest does not really answer my question

Brad :

THE PSU is only 250 watts so any heavy graphics card would be an issue too

Customer:

AMD Phenom II X6 10xxT Six-Core (Thuban core) what does the XX's after the 10 mean

Customer:

please no tech talk

Brad :

Okay

Brad :

there are 6 x6 phenom processors

Customer:

6 cores

Customer:

one chip

Brad :

they range from 1045 to 1100 that is what the 10XX means

Brad :

1045, 1055, 1065,1075, 1090 and 1100

Brad :

all that really means is clock cpu speed

Brad :

the motherboard that you have wont take 1100 model processors

Customer:

i went to a hp site and got the list you showed me and where the numbers after the 10-like 1045,55 65 etc only had XX it was confusing

Brad :

I understand.

Customer:

you have reveiwed my computer specs?

Brad :

so you can increase the processor from 2.7 Ghz to 3.2

Brad :

I dont believe you will notice a big difference

Brad :

I did look at your specs

Brad :

that is a good machine

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

AMD Phenom II X6 10xxT Six-Core (Thuban core) Is a good choice?

Brad :

I think you would do better with the ATI radeon 5570 video

Customer:

video?

Brad :

that would make a big difference and that is the biggest video card upgrade it will take

Brad :

the video card

Brad :

are you using the onboard one?

Customer:

why do i need a video card update???

Brad :

are you using the onboard video

Brad :

card

Customer:

yesi believe

Customer:

why?

Brad :

if you are gaming with that machine the video card is the best upgrade that you can invest in

Customer:

i am really only interested in my processor-thanks

Brad :

so look into the ATI RADEO 5570

Brad :

RADEON my bad

Customer:

is this going to affect my processor upgrade?

Brad :

Nope

Brad :

you can do both

Customer:

only if somone helps me pay for it haha

Brad :

if you need good prices go to www.newegg.com

Brad :

or www.tigerdirect.com

Brad :

they are the best

Customer:

please check if i have this right

Customer:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-Core (Thuban core)?

Brad :

you can not use that one

Brad :

it is an 1100T and the highest your machine will take is the 1090T

Customer:

ok

Brad :

That is only a diffence of 100 mhz. You wont see it

Customer:

do i need to update my bios

Brad :

the big performance items are RAM, VIDEO CARD, HARD DRIVE

Customer:

my bios says there is an update but i cannot find it

Brad :

those bottle neck before the cpu does

Brad :

there is no bios update required

Brad :

or available for that matter

Customer:

can i perchase this processor unlocked

Brad :

What is telling you that there is a bios update available?

Customer:

bios agent-a bios update checker

Customer:

like driver agent

Brad :

That conflicts with the HP website, there is no bios listed on HP for that

Customer:

i use driver agent to find new drivers

Customer:

i know i checked--i was just double checking

Brad :

the bios agent updater can get the base bios version confused with what is offered by the maker AMI and what HP has modified it too

Brad :

so while AMI might show an update, HP has not accepted that update OR has not needed it

Brad :

so you can disregard it

Customer:

ok can i perchase the 1090T unlocked?

Customer:

or is it already unlocked??

Brad :

Checking

Brad :

Yes you can if you get the "black " edition

Brad :

check new egg or tiger for that

Customer:

great!!! can you help me find a online site to perchase from?

Customer:

want black edtion

Customer:

of the 1090T

Brad :

check newegg or tiger

Customer:

thanks

Brad :

thank you for choosing Just Answer

Customer:

will the ad say black edtion and should i look for it in particiar

Customer:

sorry about all the questions i am just trying to make a good choice. Thanks Paul

Brad, Computer Technician
Experience: 20 + years, cert. Win NT, xp, vista Windows 7, Net sec
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my name is paul and i perchased a session with one of your techs. I asked about upgrading my cpu. i followed the techs advice and i perchased an upgraded cpu it does not to be supported by my motherbourd! i also asked if i needed a update to my bios and he said no. I paid 19 dollars and i cant even use the cpui need assistance in order to resolve this matter
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
What CPU did you order?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i ordered the one that you said was the top one my motherbourd would take. AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Six-Core (Thuban core) Black Edtion
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
That is what HP said it would accept. What problem are you having with it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when i installed the new cpu i got a cpu not sopported windows is shutting down.
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
That error is because windows does not have the right drivers for that CPU. You reinstall windows with that CPU installed and all will be well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there is no other way to install the right drivers or a website i can go?

Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
When windows installs, it checks all the hardware and installs the drivers for the devices that it senses. So what you can try is the NEW CPU and the install disk for windows and run startup repair. If that wont work you have to reinstall windows. All the drivers for the CPU are there, windows just has to sense what it is and install the right ones. You can try to boot to safe mode and see if it will start. Other than that you have to reinstall windows
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when i put the new cpu in i cant get past the post process--and the computer shuts down how will this work-the only time i can get into windows to install anything is with the old cpu and i cannot install the new drivers with the old cpu in--and i am will to only do a repair install of the os not a clean install

Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
IF you get an error that has the word WINDOWS in it then it gets past the POST process. I believe you said that an incompatible CPU and windows is shutting down message occurs. This indicates to me that the processor is being seen by the bios and passes that test but when windows wants to load, it crashes when the driver finds the wrong processor. IF you have data that you dont want to lose and you have the cpu installed, you could do a parallel install of the operating system on the same drive with the new processor and save your data from the old install and then delete the old install.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when ipush the power button to start the computer i see the message within 3 4 seconds then the computer shuts down---the post process berely starts when i see the message

Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Do you see the setup message to press a key to enter setup?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i dont see any message exept the one message during the early post process ( installed cpu not supported windows is shutting down) windows never loads
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
This is a mistake on the part of HP. That processor is rated at 125 watts and the motherboard is set to only take 95 THD. So they have bad data on it. I am sorry. You can exchange that processor with a phenom rated at 95 watts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks

have a good night.

Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
You too and thank you for using Just Answer