nstgriz
nstgriz, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  I have over ten years of experience in IT ranging from support to administration to systems analysis.
64315235

I have 3 different outlook email accounts, how do I merge the

I have 3 different outlook email accounts, how do I merge the inbox's for them onto one screen so that I don't have to close out and open a different one depending on which account I need??
Category: Computer
Expert:  nstgriz replied 2 years ago.

nstgriz :

Hi, What version of outlook are you using ?

nstgriz :

And are the accounts that you need to merge all of the same type (IE are they all POP accounts or all IMAP accounts or are they mixed account types) ?

nstgriz :

IMAP accounts can't share the same inbox as POP or exchange accounts. Thats why I ask.

nstgriz :

Its a pretty easy procedure to combine the accounts, are you there ?

Customer:

Hi, thank you.... to answer your questions:

Customer:

1. Im not sure what type of accounts I have, is there a way for me to check??

Customer:

2. also not sure what version of outlook, how can I find that out??

nstgriz :

Yes

nstgriz :

To check the version, please go to the help menu and click about Outlook.

nstgriz :

Once you've done that, please go to the tools menu and click "Email Accounts" or "accounts" and then click "Next". Each of your accounts will be listed along with their types.

nstgriz :

As a matter of fact we can skip the checking and give your request a shot right away.

nstgriz :

Once you're at the last screen which I mentioned, do you see "change folder" at the bottom ?

nstgriz :

I'm sorry are you still there ?

Customer:

Yes, give me a second.....lol

nstgriz :

Certainly.

Customer:

outlook version 2007

nstgriz :

Great. Please go to the tools menu and click "Account Settings"

Customer:

outlook version 2007, going to rest of your msg now

nstgriz :

or "Email Accounts"

Customer:

ok, 2 of my accounts are POP/SMTP and 1 is microsoft exchange

nstgriz :

great we can merge them

nstgriz :

Please remain in this chat with me while we resolve this.

Customer:

perfect, does it matter which account I am in to do the merge

nstgriz :

No, we can start with any of them.

nstgriz :

What we're going to be doing is telling the computer to put mail from each account into a specific location. We're just going to tell it, for each account, what that location is.

nstgriz :

Do you see "Change Folder" below the list of accounts ?

Customer:

ok, at account settings in SVR account

nstgriz :

I'm sorry, to clarify, are you at the Email Accounts window where you can see the list of each account ? If not you're getting a little ahead.

nstgriz :

From the email account window (which we get from clicking the tool menu and selecting "email accounts") we want to click once on an account and then click on the "Change Folder" button below the list of accounts.

Customer:

no, im not sure where to find the tools/account settings menu that lists all 3.... I can only do it in each seperately

nstgriz :

When you click on the tools menu theres no "Email accounts" entry ?

Customer:

yes, but I can only access the tools menu once I am in an account, I can not access the tools menu on the outlook open up screen.... i can see/use change folder option in the POP accounts, but not in the exchg accoutn

nstgriz :

Ah is that option grayed out for the exchange accounts ?

nstgriz :

We can start by clicking "change folder" for the POP accounts and pointing them both to the same folder, could you please try that ?

Customer:

will do.... im ready

nstgriz :

I'm sorry, did you click change folder and point each account to the same folder yet ?

Customer:

im at change folder screen, but not sure how to point the account...

nstgriz :

On the left hand side of that window theres a list of folders. Click the one you want the mail to go to and click OK

nstgriz :

repeat the process for the other account, pointing it to the same folder

nstgriz :

let me know if you're having trouble with this and I'll remotely connect to you, it will just take a few more steps to initiate a remote connection

Customer:

ok, the only folder available in each account was "inbox", so I pointed them both there. if thats not right, them maybe we should remote connect

nstgriz :

Sure. Please go to teamviewer.com

nstgriz :

below the big "start full version" button on the left hand side click "join remote control session"

Customer:

ok

nstgriz :

A box will come up. Save and run the file and then tell me your ID number that pops up in the software

Customer:

id 348 468 754

Customer:

password XXXXX

nstgriz :

thanks

nstgriz :

just a moment please

nstgriz :

Ah I seem to have misunderstood your original question.,

nstgriz :

You need to merge profiles, not inboxes or accounts.

nstgriz :

One moment please.

nstgriz :

Unfortunately I can not merge your Exchange and your POP profiles. I can add one of your POP accounts to the other's profile so that new POP mail comes into one place, but you'd still need to check your exchange mail separately.

Customer:

that would be great, if you can merge the pop ones,

nstgriz :

alright.

nstgriz :

what is your password XXXXX theXXX@XXXXXX.XXX account ? if you prefer I can let you type it in yourself

nstgriz :

if you'd prefer that, let me know and I'll get you to the appropriate screen

Customer:

i think it is Rice7050!! or just michelle

nstgriz :

The two accounts have been merged. Please take note of the following when sending emails so that you can choose which account to send from

nstgriz :

If you were watching, I gestured to the account selection button. When you send a message, you click that button to choose which account to send from.

Customer:

gottit!!! you are awesom!!! may i ask you one more quick question

nstgriz :

Certainly but before you do I want to be clear

nstgriz :

When you open outlook click on "Sun Beef"

nstgriz :

this account now contains your sun beef and lagrandefamily accounts

nstgriz :

if you'd like I can delete the original lagrandefamily profile to make it less potentially confusing

Customer:

gottit

Customer:

um.....its fine the way it is, thank you tho

nstgriz :

Great.

nstgriz :

Sorry for the interruption, what was your question ?

Customer:

now for a quick question,....

Customer:

when i ended up at justask.com and went thru process to get to you, i had to enter a credit card for deposit into my account. however, i didn't set up an account with them, hence, when i go to justask.com now and want to view my account, i dont have a password XXXXX to do so....

nstgriz :

I see. Well, since I answered your question about outlook and merged your accounts, I'd appreciate if you click "Accept" in this window to accept my answer. As for your question about justask, I can help you reset your password XXXXX you've accepted my answer.

Customer:

perfect....will accept now

nstgriz, Information Systems Manager
Experience: I have over ten years of experience in IT ranging from support to administration to systems analysis.