Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience:  17 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Printer and network
21913621

I have an acer aspire 5251 that will not boot up. When I push

I have an acer aspire 5251 that will not boot up. When I push the power button, the computer fan begins to cycle and then stopss. Also there is a blank black screen. I tried changing the chargers and holding the power button when the cord and the battery were removed. Any ideas?
Category: Computer
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

Christopher Bessler :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer! I will make every effort to assist you. If you have any questions after reading my posts feel free to ask me!

Christopher Bessler :

There are a couple of possible reasons.

Christopher Bessler :

First, though, Try pressing and holding the power button down for ten seconds.

Christopher Bessler :

This will eliminate the possibility of a hibernation issue.

Christopher Bessler :

Pull the battery, replace it.

Christopher Bessler :

The most likely reason for this is that the battery is dead for good, or there is a problem with the power systems on the mother board.

Christopher Bessler :

When you first start up your laptop, it tries to pull a small amount of power from the battery, even if it is plugged in.

Christopher Bessler :

If the battery is dead completely and cannot accept a charge, you will get this result.

Customer:

I ordered a battery thinking it was the problem, but I'm ot sure. This is my wifes computer and she put it to sleep earlier. When she tried to log onto it later the black screen.

Christopher Bessler :

In that case, your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer to arrange for repair or replacement.

Customer:

She has had battery problems before slowly losing percentage of charge over time. I just took a shot in the dark with the battery purchase

Christopher Bessler :

I think that is your best bet.

Customer:

I appreciate this. I'll try them then. Thanks

Christopher Bessler :

No problem.

Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience: 17 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Printer and network