Sandy
Sandy, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Bachelor in Technology, 7+ years of experience
33602187

how to disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing

Customer Question

how to disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing on hp pavilion dv 6000 using vista have no start up disk and running in safe mode.will not stay on line so asking on differnt computer
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sandy replied 2 years ago.

sandy :

hello

sandy :

are you able to boot into the safe mode properly?

sandy :

please let me know once you are ready.

Customer :

yes i am in safe mode and ready

sandy :

hello

sandy :

Please try the following.

sandy :

please confirm your operating system. xp/vista/windows 7

Customer :

vista

sandy :

what is your antivirus program? norton??

Customer :

none

sandy :

you are not able to boot up in the normal mode?

sandy :

1. Please click Start, in the search box, please type msconfig and hit Enter. You will see system configuration utility. On this on the top right hand side corner, please click Tab Startup. Now, at the bottom on the right hand side, please click Disable All . Please click Apply and OK. Now, you will see an option, Restart. please click Restart.

Customer :

no igot to once and it had aminal tool bar system restore repair dont help i think windows media player caused problem but on able to start that up

sandy :

B.do a system restore if not fixed:

sandy :

1.Turn on the computer.
2.As the computer starts, press <F8> on the keyboard until the
Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.
Note:You must press <
F8> before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press <F8> after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.

3.Press the <Down Arrow> on the keyboard to select
Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press <Enter>.

4 Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.

5 Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.

6. Please choose System Restore and restore your computer to the date when it was working fine.

sandy :

Did you have any antivirus at any point of time on this computer?

Customer :

done all these thing allready computer showed blue screen and said disable bios memory such as caching or shadowing

sandy :

Please turn off your computer.
As soon as you restart your computer, please start tapping (hitting up and down F2 key, if this does not work, please use F1 or Del or Delete key)
YOu will enter the Bios.

sandy :

When in your BIOS look around the memory settings and see if the option to change is there

sandy :

Did you have Norton anytime on this computer?

Customer :

tapping f2 gives window boot manager same as f1 or del f8 after this gives me advanced boot (may have had norton )

sandy :

in the advanced book, choose repair your computer using the up and down arrow key and try to restore if you have not tried this.

Customer :

done that

sandy :

okay,

sandy :

Please download and run norton removal tool on this computer and transfer it to that computer.

sandy :

Please open the following link:

http://us.norton.com/support/partner_download.jsp?id=tools

Click
Download Now under Norton Removal Tool. Please run this and install it on the computer.

Customer :

how can i transfer im using computer at libary

sandy :

do you have a usb stick.

sandy :

small usb pen drive or stick to transfer data?

sandy :

can you use it in library.

sandy :

okay, no need to worry.

sandy :

Please start that computer in safe mode with networking mode.

sandy :

In this mode, you will be able to go online.

sandy :

so,you can do it.

sandy :

are you still there?

Customer :

ill try when i tried this before i lose the connection trying to down load removel tool and put on stick but down want to mess up libraries computer

sandy :

2:51 AM

sandy :

Message from Expert, Sandy(Me)

Please let me know if you need further help.

Important: Please scroll down and Click ACCEPT so that I receive credit for helping you and providing an answer to you. You can return to this question at any time after Accepting. Thank you! Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.

Customer :

yes down loaded on library com cant fig how to get program onto stick

sandy :

it must be downloaded on the library computer desktop or some other place.

sandy :

connect the stick to computer.

sandy :

right click this file and choose send to and then stick option.

sandy :

thanks.

Customer :

sticks in

sandy :
3:29 AM

sandy :

Thank you.