Aitizaz
Aitizaz, Software Engineer
Experience:  Vast exp. in troubleshooting,maintenance and counselling
17531195

ASUS U56E will occassionally re-boot unexpectedly. Any cur

Customer Question

ASUS U56E will occassionally re-boot unexpectedly. Any cure?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 2 years ago.

Aitizaz Ahmad :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Customer:

Thanks --- any ideas?

Aitizaz Ahmad :

This actually happens when the computer / operating system gets a read/write failure on the memory

Aitizaz Ahmad :

does it happen too often?

Expert:  Aitizaz replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 2 years ago.
To avoid this, please do the following.

1. Click on the Start button (in the left bottom of the screen, a rounded button with windows logo) and then on Control Panel.

2. In the right top of the screen, click the VIEW BY drop down and select SMALL ICONS.

3. Click on the System link.

4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

8. Click OK in the System Properties window.

this will solve your problem.
Aitizaz, Software Engineer
Experience: Vast exp. in troubleshooting,maintenance and counselling
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry -- Problem NOT SOLVED ---

Computer re-booted twice since I made the changes you suggested...
Also, seems to be happening more frequently. At first, maybe once a day, now twice in only a couple of hours...What's the next step??

Expert:  Aitizaz replied 2 years ago.
please do the following and tell me the result.

1. right click COMPUTER and select MANAGE.
2. in the left pane, select EVEN VIEWER, then WINDOWS LOGS and then click APPLICATION.Now in the middle pane, you will see a table. Please go to the time on which the computer restarted itself and double click on that ROW to get a new pop up screen. Tell me what error does it show.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is shown many times and was the last entry when the computer shut down (this time it did not re-boot):"Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database [CLIENT:

It also appears to be the last entry when the computer re-booted previously.

This last re-boot --- the first entry after User Profile was EventSystem The EventSystem sub system i surpressing duplicate event log entries for a duration of 86400 seconds. This suppression timeout can be controlled by a REG_DWORD value named SuppressDuplicateDurations under the following registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\EventSystem\EventLog.

Is this helpful
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 2 years ago.
when did this problem occur for you the first time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The computer is brand new and noticed the periodic re-boot at in the first couple of days == at that time re-boot seemed to happen only when I first turned on the computer --- then it would be on all day at work with no re-boot... Only recently in the last week it started to happen more frequently.
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 2 years ago.
pleas do the following and see the results.

1. Go to START and type SYSTEM RESTORE in the search box.
2. click NEXT on the very first screen.
3. On the next screen, see if there is any date and time on which the computer was working fine. if so, select it and press next.rest of the process is self explanatory.
4. if you do not see the suitable date and time in step 3, then click the SHOW MORE RESTORE POINTS checkbox and press next key. from the list, look for the relevant date, select it and press next key.

i hope this will solve the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry -- can't do that -- I'm traveling this week and next week as well and need the data that's on my computer now...

Also, you asked me to find a point where the problem was not occuring but in my previous response, I said that I believe it was happening from the beginning. If we can't resolve this in the next couple of days, I'll return the computer to the Best Buy Service group -- The Geek Squad -- after I back up everything and get another computer on line...
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 2 years ago.
If the system is under warranty, you must hand it over to the geek squad. That is the most appropriate thing you can do.