Austin Atkins
Austin Atkins, A+ Certified IT Pro
Experience:  A+ Certifed Technician 5 years, IC3 Certifed 6 years
16485884

Why does my computer keep freezing and saying "Not Respond

Why does my computer keep freezing and saying "Not Responding"?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Austin Atkins replied 2 years ago.

Austin Atkins :

Hello. We should begin by eliminating auto launching, third party programs from loading by themselves. But first, does this error occur right when the computer boots up. Are you using the system now?

Austin Atkins :

Austin

Customer:

It mostly happens when I am on facebook. i am using the system I think, I don't know much about this machine.

Austin Atkins :

Ok. Thank you. Please click start, run. Type msconfig and press enter

Austin Atkins :

When the window appears, choose the Startup tab. Then choose "Disable All." Click Ok and then restart the computer.

Austin Atkins :

Austin

Customer:

Austin, where is my answer ?

Austin Atkins :

Have you restarted the computer?

Customer:

Yes

Austin Atkins :

There is no one answer for computer repairs. It is a troubleshooting procedure.

Austin Atkins :

My apologies, I was waiting for your to respond.

Austin Atkins :

How often does the computer freeze with the responding error?

Customer:

About every couple of minutes. But what do I do about that message I keep getting about starting the computer up in the normal mode? what did sisabling all do? I haven't touched anything as I am afraid. Should I go on facebook and see if it is still freezing?

Austin Atkins :

That message is only saying that we changed the way that some programs startup. There should be a check box there that you can select to prevent that message from appearing the next time windows starts

Austin Atkins :

Please open up your facebook and see if the computer still has the "Not responding" problem.

Austin Atkins :

Austin

Customer:

It is still saying not responding but nowhere near as fast' it runs a lot longer and only stays frozen a short time. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX need to do anything about the startup message apart form checking the box ?

Austin Atkins :

Just checking the box and choosing Ok should be fine. Lets run a scan of the hard drive to ensure that the disk and file system are in good shape. The scan takes about an hour and the computer cannot be used during this scan. Would you prefer doing this scan later, if you need to use the computer now?

Customer:

No, I might as well get it over with. This machine makes me a nervous wreck, what do I need to do?

Austin Atkins :

Ok. Please click start, Computer. Right click Local Disk C and choose properties.

Austin Atkins, A+ Certified IT Pro
Experience: A+ Certifed Technician 5 years, IC3 Certifed 6 years
Then choose "Check Now' under error checking. Place a mark in both boxes and choose next. Then click yes to schedule a disk check at next reboot. Then restart the computer.

Austin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about the mixup, I will restart the machine now, thanks Austin.
Certainly. The scan takes about an hour to complete.

Austin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there anything else I need to do ? Do you have any idea why it is still saying "Not Responding" ?

Ok. Which program is saying not responding. Is it internet explorer?

Austin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We did go through this earlier, I said it's mostly Facebook, but sometimes it'swhatever I am on, and yes it is Internet explorer. Since I did that disable all on startup it hasn't been as bad, so if there is nothing else you can do I can live with it. Do you know why outlook express is only letting E-Mails through to me but I can't send any out, or is that a whole different question? Thanks for your help.
Ok. Lets try resetting internet explorer. Facebook itself isn't a program, but rather just a website that is being accessed through a browser program, in our case facebook. Please click start, control panel, network and internet connections, internet options. Choose the "Advanced Tab." Then choose Reset. After this, close out of and re open internet explorer. You may have to reset your homepage. Then see if it quits.

Also, have you considered using a different browser like Firefox or Google Chrome?

Austin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will do that now.
Ok. Let me know how it goes.

Austin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is still saying "Not Responding" Austin, but not like it was. I don't know which browser I should use, Will that be instead of Outlook Express? And will I have to change my E-Mail address?
Outlook express is only your email. The browser and that are completely separate things. For example, you could try installing Google chrome. I think it is the best browser available.

https://www.google.com/chrome/?hl=en&brand=chmo

Austin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Austin, I will think about it J.
Certainly. Firefox is also a good browser. If internet explorer seems to have a problem, give one of these a try and you should be all set. Austin
Also, for your emails not going through, the best way to resolve this is to call you internet service provider support number. They know best how to solve this and can walk you through while doing it so they can make sure your emails go through.
Austin Atkins, A+ Certified IT Pro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I didn't get a helpfull answer to my first question.

Optional Information:
Computer OS: Windows XP
Browser: AOL

Already Tried:
Austin Atkins told me I need a full scan, but I don't know if he is doing one, or if I do it myself, can you help ?

Hello. Were you referring to the hard drive scan? The steps for this are in one of my previous responses. Have you tried a new browser are do you have another question you need help with?

Austin