Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

error message 0x00000709 in windows 7 when I try to set my

error message 0x00000709 in windows 7 when I try to set my printer as a default. By the way, it worked before I added an older computer to the home network running XP. My older XP computer will print.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.

Wes :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. Does the problem *only* occur when you try to set the L7650 to default, or when you try to print from it as well?

Wes :

Do you have the printer connected directly to the network, or to one of the PCs and then shared?

Customer:

The windows 7 computer will not print upon command. It will send a test page when adding a printer. The printer is hooked up to the wireless router via an ethernet cable. The printer is wireless. I set the printer up as a network printer.

Wes :

Have you tried downloading the latest Windows 7 driver for the printer? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3203059#N363

Customer:

I tought I did. How do I check if I have the latest driver? I went to the website you sent. It defaults to my operating system. When I click "next", nothing happens.

Wes :

Do you see the little boxes with the + signs on them at the bottom of the page... click on those and they should expand into various drivers and utilities.

Wes :

Were you able to find the driver downloads?

Wes :

There are also some diagnostic utilities we may be using as well

Customer:

I downloaded the driver and some of the tools. After running the diagnostic tool, this is the screen capture:

Customer:

HP software required to connect to your computer over the network could not be found on this computer. Insert the CD that came with the printer...

Wes :

and you installled the downloaded driver? which diag did this come from

Customer:

Yes, I downloaded the driver. Answer: HP home network diagnostic utility.

Customer:

Just read your question again. What do you mean by installed the downloaded driver? If it's downloaded, should I do something else? If so, where do I go?

Wes :

Okay first of all which driver did you download, The first two shown are the Basic print and scan driver, the second is the full feature software and drier

Wes :

driver

Wes :

do you know where the driver was saved to? Usually it will be to your "Downloads" which you can access by going to Start>"your user name" then open the "Downloads" folder

Wes :

There should be a file that says either OJProL7X00_Basic_14.exe or OJProL7X00_Full_14.exe double click on whichever of those two you see in the Downloads folder and it should begin installing the software.

Customer:

Windows6.1-KB917607-x64.msu is what I see for today. I don't see the one's you listed

Wes :

click on the Download button

Wes :

Which browser are you using, because that may change where the downloads are stored.

Customer:

I downloaded and extracted the file and it appears that it is fine. It does not show up in my download folder. I printed an attachment from an email and it worked. When I tried to print the email I get the same error message 0x0000709. And, I still can't set the default printer. I am running IE 8.0?

Customer:

The extract window showed up automatically and the HP windows performed their duties and said the updated driver was added successfully.

Customer:

If I try to print from a web page, the printer does not show up. The fax version shows up which was added when I downloaded the HP products.

Wes :

How many printers are shown in the "Select Printer" window when you try to print? Is there a slider at the bottom that lets you move left and right? Try moving that slider and see if the printer is in a different column and not immediately shown on the screen. Are you trying to set the default printer in the Print dialog box for internet explorer or are you trying to set it by going to Start>Devices and Printers?

Does the printer show up in Start>Devices and Printers? Assuming the updated driver installed, try right clicking on the printer, hit remove device and remove the printer.

If you know how and haven't already done so, it may be a good idea to go into your router and set a static IP address for the printer.

Then right click, hit add a printer, then select Add a network, wireless, printer. Add the printer by entering the required info as you've done before. During the process you should be asked if you want to set the new printer as the default... do so.

Try your print operations again and see if the problem persists. In researching this problem I found a number of potential causes ranging from print driver issues to networking issues, so it's going to be a matter of chasing down each potential cause and eliminating it.

Customer:

It was a network issue and I fixed it on Friday. But thanks for the help.

Wes, Consultant
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.