Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

MY GATEWAY LAPTOP WILL NOT BOOT UP I DO NOT HAVE A WINDOWS 7 REPAIR DI

Customer Question

MY GATEWAY LAPTOP WILL NOT BOOT UP I DO NOT HAVE A WINDOWS 7 REPAIR DISK HELP
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.

Can you describe this further, how far does the computer boot (what do you see on the screen)? Do you get a specific error message?

Also, have you tried all the safe modes / last known good configurations?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
IT POWERS UP THE GATEWAY LOGO COMES UP AND IT DISAPPEARS ANDN I HAVE A BLACK SCREEN
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Try these steps:

(1) Power off and then turn on the computer, and as soon as it starts booting up again, immediately start tapping F8 until you come to the advanced boot menu

(2) From there, select Repair your Computer > Click Next > Select the Repair your Computer button

(3) If it asks, pick your language and keyboard input method > Choose your user account, type your password XXXXX you have one and press ok

(4) If it tries to, let it scan and try to repair your issue automatically > If it asks if you would like to restore to an earlier date, use that > If it brings you to a recovery tools page instead like the one shown below, use system restore to restore the computer to working date.

graphic

Let me know if that clears it up, if not, we will try some other steps, just post back here first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i tried that no luck black screen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have nothing but a blank screen

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I see, if you aren't getting any screen, even when you tap F8 on reboot, lets continue:

Turn off the computer, and disconnect the battery and AC adapter from it. Wait a few minutes, then press and hold the power button for 60 seconds and release it. Proceed to connect the ac adapter (without the battery) and turn it back on. If still no display, disconnect the AC adapter, reinsert the battery, then reconnect the AC adapter and try now.

Does it boot up ok now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

TRIED THAT STILL NOTHING

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok, we're going to need to work on the inside of the laptop a bit and test some other things, please let me know the exact model of your gateway laptop

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
MD 2614u
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Turn off the computer again, and disconnect the battery and AC adapter from it. On the back of the laptop, remove the memory modules by unscrewing the smallest panel, it may be labeled m.

Before touching any internal components, ground yourself by touching any bare metal surface. Then, reseat the memory modules, taking them out and reinserting them. You'll want to push in the metal tabs on the right and left of the memory chip outward to release them, you may need to pull them out at an angle.

After reseating the memory modules, try to turn on the computer again. If it doesn't work, take out both modules and install only one memory module in a slot. Turn on the computer again, if it fails, try testing that single memory module in another slot. If no results, proceed to test the other memory module in this same fashion. If it works, you need to replace the memory on the computer.

If memory swapping doesn't boot the computer, please let me know

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried both those still blank screen
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
The next step is to test with an external monitor. Connect an external monitor to the VGA out port and try booting the system.

If you do not get any type of picture to the external monitor, and you don't hear any beep sounds after turning on the computer, you may have a faulty motherboard. To make certain, disconnect the Hard Drive and CD/DVD drive from your computer, and try to turn it on. Normally these can be removed by unscrewing the larger panels on the back of the laptop.

You may also try to disconnect the cmos battery (coin shaped) from the motherboard for an hour and reconnect (however, this would require partial disassembly of the unit). If it doesn't change anything, than you have a faulty motherboard which must be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried that and the same thing blank screen and now when I turn it on I don't even get the gateway logo screen
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately if you have already tried those steps, and everything is fitted correctly, then it is a bad motherboard, this can happen if a power component goes bad and fries it.

Your best bet is to take out the hard drive, and copy over all your files to a working computer. In my opinion it is not worth repairing the motherboard as that can cost as much as a new laptop. I'm sorry for the bad news...please let me know if there is any other question that you have on this.

Best regards,
Bernie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

SO IS THIS GONNA COST ME $42