Cris
Cris, Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years of IT experience in both business and residential.
10156100

I am unable to download files. I have a Dell computer Inspiron.

I am unable to download files. I have a Dell computer Inspiron. It was working but the program to do this seems to have disapeared. In my E-mail when I open an attachment it is jiberish. And on the internet if I try to download a form it puts it in a download file and I can't open it

I followed directions to reset IE that didn't work. I use Firefox as my browser
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.

ITTechQ&A :

Hi, Thanks for contacting JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will assist you with your question.

ITTechQ&A :

Hi, what type of file are you trying to open? PDF file?

Customer:

ok

ITTechQ&A :

what type of file are you trying to open? PDF file?

Customer:

I can't download pdf or any kind

ITTechQ&A :

OK, let's reinstall Adobe Reader I will provide the link.

Customer:

It goes into some kind of download file on my desktop and I can't open them. It says I have to find the right browser to open them in

ITTechQ&A :

OK, right click on the file downloaded on the desktop. Then select properties from the pop up menu.

ITTechQ&A :

Another box will appear click on the "Change" box and select Adobe Reader from the list and click OK.

ITTechQ&A :

close out the boxes and try to open the file.

Customer:

The only programs in the open with are IE and Microsoft OfficeWord

ITTechQ&A :

OK, so we need to install Adobe Reader. I will provide the link.

Customer:

ok

ITTechQ&A :

Use the link provided, when you reach the site click on "Download Installer" then "Run". The site will download and install Adobe Reader for you. When done try to open the file on your desktop.

Click here>>>Adobe Reader Download

Customer:

I am on a different computer. Can you tell me the link

ITTechQ&A :

Sure give me a sec.

ITTechQ&A :

Type following address in the address bar:

http://ninite.com/reader/

Customer:

pop up says ninite reader install. Do I save file

ITTechQ&A :

Click "Run"

Customer:

only opt is cancel or save

ITTechQ&A :

OK, sorry I seen your using Firefox. Yes save then run the file after it's downloaded.

Customer:

pop up says all files have been dowloaded

ITTechQ&A :

OK double click on the ninite file to start the installer.

Customer:

screen says change apps then it will begin downloading shortly but nothing happens

ITTechQ&A :

Did you double click on the ninite file you downloaded?

Customer:

There is no file just a screen that says This Ninite indtaller includes. There are abt 20 files in the downloads. Do I just click on one of them

ITTechQ&A :

Can you open Internet Explorer instead and type in the website.

Customer:

yes

Customer:

It is downloading reader

ITTechQ&A :

OK, great.

Customer:

It finished

ITTechQ&A :

OK, can you try to open the downloaded file on your desktop now. The PDF file.

Customer:

It finished

Customer:

It is jibberish still

ITTechQ&A :

OK, right click on the file and select properties. Click "change" select adobe reader.

Customer:

If I right click on the pdf file it gives me the option to open with adobe reader and when I do this it will open the file. Is there a way to do that automatically and not go through the right click opt

ITTechQ&A :

How did you make out?

Customer:

ITTechQ&A :

Did you click on change and select Adobe reader from the list?

ITTechQ&A :

Hello??

Customer:

I think I did but it won't open automatically

ITTechQ&A :

Then it's not a PDF extension file.

Customer:

It put an Adobe Reader X on my desk top

ITTechQ&A :

When you right click on the file and select properties then change and select PDF. You are making Reader the default program to open all PDF files.

ITTechQ&A :

Yes that's adaobe reader program so you can open PDF files.

Customer:

When I right click on the file and select properties then it says Type of file: PDF File opens with Microsoft Office Word. Do I click on change there

ITTechQ&A :

Yes, click change and select Adobe Reader.

ITTechQ&A :

You will then being making Adobe Reader the default program to open PDF's.

Customer:

OK I think we got it. Thank You very much

Cris, Support Specialist
Experience: 6 years of IT experience in both business and residential.