J Tech
J Tech, Computer Support
Experience:  Owner of X XXXX Computer Repair
31481149

My Dell Precision M90 will not boot up; the green Numbers Lock

Customer Question

My Dell Precision M90 will not boot up; the green Numbers Lock light goes on constant, then the caps light flashes fora few seconds, then it just dies - nothing ever appears on the screen. It seems to be charged and is connected to the mains
Category: Computer
Expert:  J Tech replied 4 years ago.
I would suggest that you open the cd rom drive manually to get the cd out. To do this there is a small hole on the front plate of the drive. Get a paper clip and bend it out so you can stick it into the hole. This will force the drive open manually so you can retrieve the cd. Restart the computer without the cd in the drive.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, that's the CD out but I still have the same problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
CD now ejected bu the same problem presists
Expert:  J Tech replied 4 years ago.
Do you ever get the bios screen or is there nothing on the screen at all ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Screen totally blank
Expert:  J Tech replied 4 years ago.
It sounds to me like the motherboard is bad.
Before we come to this conclusion there are a few more inexpensive things you could check. One would be if adapter has gone bad. This would make the computer get no power or no charge to the battery which would result in the computer not being able to power on. Usually when this happens only the battery light would flash. Another thing to check would to be to check all other hardware. Turn the computer off and take out the battery. Unplug anything that would be plugged into your usb ports and remove all un needed hardware and all ram except for one stick. See if you have the same results. If you do its most likely the motherboard.