Jon-Tech
Jon-Tech, IS Manager
Experience:  20 yrs: Computers, Networking

why does my phone not ring and it goes straight to magic jack

Customer Question

why does my phone not ring and it goes straight to magic jack voice mail
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jon-Tech replied 2 years ago.

Jon-Tech :

Hi... I'm Jon. I look forward to assisting you. Please Press CTRL + D to mark this page.

Jon-Tech :

When the incoming calls go directly to voice mail that means your magic jack is not active, do you have it installed in your computer?

Jon-Tech :

Are you there?

Customer :

yes i am here and my magic jack is hooked up right

Jon-Tech :

so when you pick up the phone connected to the MJ you get a dial tone?

Customer :

yes i can make calls but they don't ring in

Jon-Tech :

ok then there are two reasons for this, 1 the incoming calls are being forwarded, to check this you need to log into my.magicjack.com and make sure this setting is not enabled. 2 you need to run the magic fix located on your desktop icon

Jon-Tech :

the other possibility is, it is ringing but you don't know because it is set to headset.

Jon-Tech :

please go to the desktop menu and choose menu at the upper right then check to see the first line - what does it say?

Customer :

i don't know where you mean

Jon-Tech :

if it says switch to telephone then please do, as it is set to headset

Jon-Tech :

if magic jack is running on your computer then you will have a desktop application - what operating system are you using?

Customer :

operating system?

Jon-Tech :

what computer type is magic jack plugged into?

Jon-Tech :

or is this magic jack plus

Customer :

i have magic jack plus but was having the same trouble

Customer :

so have old one in now

Jon-Tech :

you need to plug it back into the computer you used to set it up and then we can proceed. Putting another magic jack in your computer will just make things confusing

Jon-Tech :

you can use only one MJ at a time, so what would you like to do?

Customer :

they will ring in some time and most of time won't ring in

Customer :

i want to use magic jack plus

Jon-Tech :

ok then lets focus on that device. How many magic jacks to you have?

Customer :

2

Jon-Tech :

and were you trying to use them both?

Jon-Tech :

use them both at the same time?

Customer :

no not at same time

Jon-Tech :

ok good you can only use one per computer and it is highly recommended you do not use more than one on one computer.

Jon-Tech :

what is the computer your using to plug in the magic jacks?

Customer :

yes i understand that

Customer :

do you mean the brand name

Jon-Tech :

yes I cant help you until I know what computer you are using

Jon-Tech :

What I really need is the operating system, XP, Win7, MAC, and if it is a desktop or laptop

Customer :

h p

Customer :

desh top

Customer :

xp

Jon-Tech :

thank you.

Jon-Tech :

please put the magic jack plus into the usb port at the back of your desktop (not the front)

Jon-Tech :

the mj should initialize and the desktop app should appear, please let me know when that is complete

Customer :

ok

Jon-Tech :

thanks...

Customer :

ok done

Jon-Tech :

ok please connect a phone to the magic jack

Customer :

i have it that way

Jon-Tech :

then please open the magic jack application and click on menu at the top and tell me what the first line reads

Customer :

volumn head set control

Jon-Tech :

ok, good - please scroll down the menu list to advanced users and choose run magic fix please

Jon-Tech :

once your done go back to the 1st line and change to telephone. When the call come in it is trying to ring to a headset instead of the phone, so the signal is not sent to the phone. Changing this setting will resolve the calls going to voice mail without hearing the phone ring, the other solution is to update the firmware on your mj device so it fixes the intermittent issue you described.

Jon-Tech :

These steps should fix the issues. I have to go, but I'll be back in 45 minutes. Please let me know how it turned out, and if you need more help or have more information. Thanks - Jon

Jon-Tech :

Please let me know if you need more help or if this fixed the problem. The Magic Fix will work for both Magic Jack units. Jon