Jerry Hannell
Jerry Hannell, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Experience in Windows environment. ASP, Visual Basic, Ajax
14934061

i need to restore a dell inspiron 560 pc to factory setting

Customer Question

i need to restore a dell inspiron 560 pc to factory setting with no data back up and have no access to my usre id or password
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 2 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hello sir/madam, i would like to help you, please let me know when you are ready.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

to be able to restore a dell inspiron to factory condition, can you please turn off your computer and turn it on again and then press the f8 key (F8) repeatedly. you will see the startup options. from these options please select REPAIR MY COMPUTER option and follow on-screen instructions carefully. if something goes wrong, please let me know. we can go step by step and fix it together.

Experience: Experience in Windows environment. ASP, Visual Basic, Ajax

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

to be able to restore a dell inspiron to factory condition, can you please
turn off your computer and turn it on again and then press the f8 key (F8)
repeatedly. you will see the startup options. from these options please select
REPAIR MY COMPUTER option and follow on-screen instructions carefully. if
something goes wrong, please let me know. we can go step by step and fix it
together.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i find this process really confusing! I have not as yet had any answer to my original question, will you answer that now, or ask me for additional information please

together.

..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. First i had trouble finding your replies, maybe my fault... the F8 option on boot is something i have tried but this offers a restore with data backup. I am gifting this machine to my daughter and want to return it to factory setting with out and data backed up. Also i not able to get beyond the log in screen on the Repair My Computer section because i cannot remember my suer id, or my password, and there appears to be no option to change the user Id anyway. Even if i wanted to go this route.

can you try this:

username: administrator

password:

(password XXXXX XXXXX; there is no password, just press enter to skip it )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is no abilty to change the user ID at all, but i will try to boot from that without inputting any password, back soon i hope
i will be here waiting. if that does not work,we have another option.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. OK that option for reboot works, just overcomplicated it myself by tryng to add a password that was not needed, stupid of me really. HOWEVER.
what i want to do is clear all data from the machine that i added since i bought it. I checked the options while i had that open and could not see a way to restore to factory settings without also restoring all the data.
which options do you see?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. I will need to reboot to check all those options because i failed to make a note of them. Back soon
waiting,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
options are
start up repair
system restore
system image recovery ( have not created discs so no applicable )
windows memory diagnostics
command prompt
and finally
dell data safe restore and emergency back up

can you select: system restore.

what is the options now ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will do back soon
waiting.,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
seems to me the only two applicable options are system restore and dell data safe restore, can pretty much ignore anything else here. Can pretty much ignore dell data safe really, the answer to that is in the name :-)
System restore has this explanation
system restore does not affect any documents, pictures or personal data
I myself cannot see that any of the options here actually allow me to do what i want to, because dell assume you will always want to preserve data rather than otherwise and so only provide a restore option that includes data restore
most of this i had sort of worked out for myself, it was the stupidity i displayed over the password that frustrated me. Also the stupidity in buying such a piece of rubbish as a dell, boy i had a major malfunction there. Thing is where do we go from here

can you select system image recovery

what happens ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. cant select image recovery is what happens
can you create your recovery cds?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not sure, didnt bother before because i was only going to keep this machine for a short while. Never did this before anyway, can you talk me through the steps
yes, do you have blank cds ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have about 46 blank dvdr that ok

yes, can you start your computer (login to windows)

in windows, can you go to start button > all programs > dell )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hate this machine. ok the option that i assume i want is not in all progs, FYI its in Dell support centre on this machine. I have a window for recovery media and an option to create recovery media, that what i want?
can you select create recovery media. and continue (follow on-screen instructions carefully)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do my best, back sooner or later
waiting,,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this will obviously take some time so when its done i will call back ok?
ok, i will be here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks a bunch
you are welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i have system recovery spread over four discs, i labelled them so i know the order of the discs

ok, can you please insert the first one and turn off your computer and turn it on again .

your dell will start reading your cd. it should display a text like this:

PRESS ANY KEY TO START FROM CD.

if you see a message like this please press a key (press enter) and continue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay
waiting ,.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. the disc is in but when i started up again it did not start reading the cd. can manually access the disc

can you restart your computer and press f8. and access the repair your computer section.

as you remember, there was a section called system image recovery. now you will be able to access that since you have the cd.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
done that. and again a problem. i am asked to insert the fianl disc of the back up set and hit retry. i did and it ran the sequence again. I tried using disc one, same thing, and finally used all discs with no result
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you given up?

do you know which cd is number 1 and which cd is number 4 ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the first disc i created i numbered as number one, the final disc i numbered as number four

can you try again

probably at that time it was unable to read the cd properly

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
while i have been waiting for responses i have also tried to do this suing every disc option. i will try again though, presumably i need to use disc four?
yes, if it asks you to enter disc four, please enter it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. heres what happens. opening system restore with disc four already in the drive brings up this window called re-image computer. This says Windows cannot find a system image on this computer, then..insert final dvd from back up set and click retry. AS the disc was already inserted i ejected it and re-inserted it and clicked retry again. There was some activity as though the disc was being read but then it stopped and the window re-image your computer came up aqain.

can you select:

system restore

let's go step by step. what is the first option you see?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
before we go any further is there anyway to keep my connection to you open and use system restore, its really time consuming having to re log every time.
My first option in system restore is
select a system image back up

you can add this page to your favorites(when you come back you can open this page from your favorites)

can you select SELECT A SYSTEM IMAGE BACKUP

what is the next option ? what do you see ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yeah i know about favourites thanks, already doing that. SO...

when i carry on i get the re-image your computer window. I have been through what happens with this option already.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well to be honest i have spent a lot of time on this and cannot spend more today. So maybe this can continue tomorrow?
yes, we can continue tomorrow. when you come back please let me know so we can continue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay thank you
you are welcome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
good morning

good morning,

were you able to try SYSTEM RESTORE again?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
before we get bogged down in this, i wonder if its possible to continue this session using my i pa. if so, then i can stay in system restore on this machine and give direct real time feed back via the ipad. save a load of time
can you access your JustAnswer account from your ipad? if yes, yes it is possible
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
probably will try
waiting,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I'm on iPad now
can you restart your computer and select SYSTEM RESTORE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yep will do
waiting ,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gosh. Me too. Ok I am in system restore with system image recovery window open and waiting for your instructions
what are the options ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
First a window show named re image your computer which says
Windows cannot find a system image on this computer then
Attach back up disc or insert final DVD from a back up. Set. And click retry
So did that and it scanned the disc and then reverted to the original window as above
Retried four times same result
My options now are to close for more options

can you select:

dell data safe restore

.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I can options are
Restore. And preserve files
Select other system backup and more options
In other system backup options I have
Back up files and folders
Or simply restore computer
In restore computer it says
Select the back up you would like to restore your computer to. You can also insert your archived full system backup disc and click archived. System backups
In the dialogue box is this info to select
Factory image 6/11/2011 which was when the machine was prepared for me
Waiting for you now

can you select Factory image 6/11/2011 and continue.

what are the options ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ah!!!!
Or as Archimedes would have said, that the one. I have the option here to either preserve files added since that date or restore without preserving
I stil can say yes or no but I think this is what I want, your opinion would be appreciated, but this will, if I read it all correctly leave me with a pristine factory image, yes?

correct. can you select:

-restore without preserving,

and continue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay done. I seriously think that you can now stop holding my hand, but I need to find out how to agree to the payment

ok, can you follow on-screen instructions carefully.

if something goes wrong, i will still be here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do my best, waiting
i will be here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well maybe I'm more of an optimist than I realised. If I accept the answer I assume that the deposit I pad will be taken, which is fine. So couple of things, first one, thank you so much for your help, and am I correct about accepting the answer instigating payme?

correct. you are welcome,

i just noticed that you already accepted on 1/1/2012 at 2:11 PM

so you don't need to accept again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great, I am very grateful and I just restarted the machine and it boots up to first use so job done, happy new year

happy to hear that

if something goes wrong i will be here anytime.

happy new year.