Jon-Tech
Jon-Tech, IS Manager
Experience:  20 yrs: Computers, Networking
62326695

Toshiba Satellite P100 - want to restore to factory settings.

Customer Question

Toshiba Satellite P100 - want to restore to factory settings. Have tried re-starting holding down the zero key, to no avail. Tried holding down the 8 key, but "restore" wasn't an option. any ideas???
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jon-Tech replied 2 years ago.

Jon-Tech :

Hi... I'm Jon. I look forward to assisting you. Please Press CTRL + D to mark this page.

Customer:

hi, yeah I've looked at the chat rooms, followed a few suggestions, but they're not working for me. I have another laptop I'm working off, so I can still correspond if I need to shut down the other satellite Pro

Jon-Tech :

Hi I'm double checking for you - but to make sure I understand correctly you want to restore your OS not your BIOS, YES?

Customer:

Ummm...not sure. just want to wipe everything and start again fresh. I figure a program or file was corrupt and started playing funny buggers with the laptop. little things like the clock only working and keeping time whilst I type, and it stops when I'm not typing...

Jon-Tech :

does your DVD work and do you have OEM disks ?

Jon-Tech :

I will double check but I am pretty sure this laptop does not have a reset button or jumper

Customer:

I have recovery DVD-ROM - is that what you mean?

Jon-Tech :

yes

Jon-Tech :

that may be your only option but let me double check 1st...please hold for a moment

Customer:

ok

Jon-Tech :

alright let me know if you have already tried these steps, if not, please give them a try, and if they don't work let me know and we will try the next best step.

Jon-Tech :

try these steps, hope they will help you:
1. Copy all your files and documents to an external storage device.
2. Shut down the computer.
3. Turn the PC back on and hit the F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Option Screen appears.
4. Click "Repair Your Computer" if you are not already on it and then press ENTER
5. choose your country and click OK
6. On the "System Recovery Options Screen" click "Restore Application" which is the last option.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions
8. When prompted, click on "Full Factory Recovery"
9. "Next"
10. Click "Yes"
11. you will notice for a while it seems like nothing is happening, give it some time.
12. After some minutes, recovery will complete and you click "Finish"

Customer:

I checked this one outr before, but at 4. this option doesn't appear on my screen

Jon-Tech :

Had a feeling it wasn't going to work for you... hang on please

Jon-Tech :

So the restore partition does not exist... still checking options

Customer:

tried holding down the 0 (zero) key as well during start up - to no avail.

Customer:

one option I saw was to chnage a setting (somewhere???) to boot from the disk...can you direct me on how to do that?

Customer:

*change

Jon-Tech :

If I understand correctly what you would do is go into the BIOS using F2 or F10 and look for and select boot device, change from FDD to DVD, then put your OEM Factory disks in and away you go...

Customer:

ok, I'll give it a go...

Jon-Tech :

sorry I couldn't offer a silver bullet for you, but what you might want to do before you do this check out your partitions

Jon-Tech :

are you running XP?

Customer:

yes running XP

Customer:

managed to get into a blue/grey screen and changed the boot to DVD

Customer:

Just starting it now

Jon-Tech :

go to control panel, admin utils, computer management and storage

Jon-Tech :

look to see if there is a 2nd partition that holds the restore files

Customer:

just re-starting

Jon-Tech :

ok

Customer:

would it be easier if you logged in to my laptop?

Jon-Tech :

I don't have remote desktop

Customer:

ok

Jon-Tech :

sorry

Jon-Tech :

do you have the #1 recovery disk in the laptop right now?

Customer:

ok, in the storage section...it has removable, disk Defrag.., disk management(local) to choose from

Jon-Tech :

disk managment

Jon-Tech :

let me know what partitions are there

Customer:

3 partitions, 1 (no volume),XXXXX3: D drive

Jon-Tech :

what is the label for D drive

Customer:

S3A2391D001 1.91 GB CDFS Healthy is what's written

Customer:

there are 3 primary partitions

Customer:

D is the DVD rom. the other large one is the C drive, basic.

Jon-Tech :

if you had a restore partition it would say "protected" and would be grey'ed out so your back to DVD reload

Customer:

hope that helps :) sorry I'm not that clever with laptops!

Jon-Tech :

your doing great...

Customer:

no, protected not listed anywhere

Jon-Tech :

then your only option is to run the OEM restore / recovery DVD's or load from a bootable USB

Jon-Tech :

Did you mention you had the DVD's?

Customer:

ok, so if machine is running, i've tried opening the disk files, but not sure which .exe to click on

Customer:

yep, DVD is in the drive

Jon-Tech :

It's been a while but I think you can find Setup.msi and run it

Jon-Tech :

or set the bios to boot the dvd first, fdd 2nd

Customer:

nope, still not working..

Customer:

am restarting though..

Jon-Tech :

let me know what happens

Jon-Tech :

BTW do you have the product key to enter when it ask during the re-install?

Customer:

nope. didn't work.

Customer:

have opened the disk, opened th eBIN folder and there's a stack of .exe files.

Customer:

one is a "create partion" also a "recovery menu"

Customer:

a "disk wipe" one

Jon-Tech :

if you wan to wipe the disk clean use wipe as recovery will leave your junk in place

Jon-Tech :

do you have your product key for XP?

Customer:

I've got the Product Recovery DVD Rom, for Satellite P100, it has a key on the back, but can't see XP written on it...

Jon-Tech :

ok good enough

Customer:

it has Microsoft Office One note 2003 on same sticker as the key

Customer:

shall I click on "wipe"?

Jon-Tech :

ok you need to grep or dig your product key from your computer before you wipe it clean

Customer:

ok....where is it?

Jon-Tech :

let me give you a link to down load it.. hang on

Jon-Tech :

There are lots of tools out there for this, I can't remember which one I used but here's one that should work... try it http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinKeyDOS_d4628.html

Customer:

just tells me what it is, but doesn't show me how to get it

Jon-Tech :

thats all you need to see it so you can write it down

Customer:

sorry, no it gives me an explanation of what the key can do, but no code is shown

Customer:

"WinKey DOS works from DOS Prompt and gets your windows Product Key"....(but no key shown?

Jon-Tech :

oh thats wierd let me see if I can find the one I used hang on

Customer:

oooh no, I got it...sorry!

Jon-Tech :

I used this one just in case... http://www.magicaljellybean.com/

Jon-Tech :

it will list all your keys and you can save it as a txt file

Customer:

WDWCD-QBBPF-YCFC7-4P6RP-H8YF8

Customer:

(easier to put it here so I can re-check )

Jon-Tech :

Ok keep that number written down somewhere

Jon-Tech :

good idea

Customer:

ok.so do I go into the disk, and click the "wipe"?

Customer:

it's all been backed up

Jon-Tech :

you can give that a try - tell me what happens

Customer:

a screen quickly flicks up, but closes immediately, no chance to read what it is.

Customer:

everything stays as is

Jon-Tech :

if you have antivirus running please turn it off

Jon-Tech :

I suppose there is no floppy drive on the laptop right?

Customer:

virus protect off...only DVD drive

Jon-Tech :

can you set the DVD to boot first?

Jon-Tech :

try to run the wipe again...

Customer:

have reset the DVD as first boot. and restarting

Jon-Tech :

great if that doesn't do the trick then try this

1. Start the computer with your chosen boot disk.

2.  

3. Change to the cdrom drive.

4.  

5. Go into the \i386 directory on the cdrom.

6.  

7. Run WINNT.EXE to begin the install process.

Customer:

oooh - "loading RAM disk image" ...could have a winner!!

Jon-Tech :

Got my fingers crossed for you!

Customer:

ok - choice to "recovery of factory default software" or Erase the hard disk"

Customer:

Erase hard disk says it will delete all data and remove partitions

Jon-Tech :

yes and you will have to create the partition again, this option is good if you want to change the partition size, else go with the easier one recover factory... default

Customer:

yeah other is too complex

Jon-Tech :

let me know if it looks like things are moving in the right direction now...

Customer:

oooohhhhh, it seems to be doing it's thing - FINALLY!

Customer:

another 24 minutes though....aaargh!

Jon-Tech :

It usually goes a little quicker than it says...

Jon-Tech :

I'll hang out for a couple more minutes, then I need to go - it's 2:40 am and got to get up at 8 am Yikes

Customer:

:)...21 mins

Customer:

perhaps you can give me some hints/tips on how to put the key in etc when it's done?

Customer:

for when it's done

Jon-Tech :

sure towards the end of the install it will ask for the product key, just enter it as it is case sensitive and you'll be good. If you have a problem it will allow you to skip but then bug you for days until you enter it, if you have a problem let me know, you can call microsoft and prove it is legal but it's a hassle...

Jon-Tech :

if you run into a snag let me know where you get stuck, but I'm pretty sure it's going to go all good from here on out.

Customer:

if i need you, do I just ask for you? "Jon-Tech"

Jon-Tech :

if the install and everything works out please press ACCEPT and if you'd be willing offer a positive review. If you run into a problem don't accept and we'll sort it out tomorrow

Customer:

cool bananas!

Jon-Tech :

The easiest way is to contact me from this link... let me give it to you

Jon-Tech :

and before you go press Control + D and you can bookmark and save this chat... so even if you ACCEPT and then have a question you can still post it to this thread without having to pay again...

Jon-Tech :

Been a pleasure helping you - I suppose I'll know how it worked out in the morning... Thank you - Jon

Jon-Tech :

any last questions or concerns?

Customer:

cheers XXXXX XXXXX been a massive help - sweet dreams...(only 5.47pm is Australia here :)

Jon-Tech :

how many more minutes left?

Customer:

13

Customer:

sitting at 42%

Jon-Tech :

ok I'm going to head out... cheers, XXXXX XXXXX time in Sydney on business a few years back - had a great time... good food and music!

Customer:

no probs - catch ya later

Jon-Tech, IS Manager
Experience: 20 yrs: Computers, Networking
Expert:  Jon-Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi... Just checking to see if everything went well or if you needed any further help. Jon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jon,
Yes all went well thanks. Just busy re-loading programs. It didn't ask me for the key though??? It just did it's thing (after about 30 minutes) and then was ready to use.....strange...
Expert:  Jon-Tech replied 2 years ago.
That's great news... Thanks for letting me know. Jon