Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified

Web page links wont open from a windows live Email.

Customer Question

Web page links won't open from a windows live Email.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.

Are you getting an information bar at the top of the message saying it was blocked for your privacy (or similar)?

If so, and you're sure that the message is ok and you want to enable links in the message, click on the Information bar, click Unblock to enable links in the message. Now try the link again

If you're not getting the information bar, what happens when you try to click on the link, do you get any error?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The error message reads " There was a problem sending your command to the program." Note : the problem does not occur if internet explorer is already opened !
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I see, are you using Windows XP, Vista, 7, or Mac?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Windows 7 and IE9
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Go ahead and exit Windows Live Mail, then right click the shortcut you use to get to Windows Live Mail, and select properties.

Click the compatibility tab and make sure Run this program As Administrator is turned off and press ok

Then, close all Internet Explorer windows (including this one, just add this page to your favorites so you can return to me afterwards) > Press the Windows Start button > In the search box type inetcpl.cpl > Press enter on the keyboard

Click the Advanced tab > Click the reset button > Press the reset button again > Click close, ok

Finally, Click the Windows Start button > Default programs > Click Set your Default programs > Left click Internet Explorer > Pick Set this program as default

Then reopen your Windows Live Mail and try a link, let me know how that goes

Thanks,
Bernie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry ....problem still exists !
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I see, how long ago did this first start happening?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
about 2 months ago ....best guess !!! I've had the computer since July
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
To make sure you can return to me, please favorite or bookmark this page, or use this web address (write it down): http://is.gd/kqKt6c

Now go ahead and click the Window start button > In the box, type user accounts > Press enter on the keyboard

On the window that comes up, click the Manage another account link > Finally click the Create a new account link > Create a new admin account called test

Log off your current account, then log into this test account and try setting up Windows Live Mail there. See if the link won't open there either, I'd like to rule out a corrupt user account.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
problem persists !
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Please go ahead and log back into your regular account again, and let me know once you've done that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
alread done !
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Great, take these steps:

Lets download and install a free cleaning utility called CCleaner, click HERE (Note: If you use a program called Roboform to store your passwords please let me know before continuing).

After installed, click Analyze and review which files it will clean. Ccleaner only cleans temp files from the browsers and unneeded junk files/duplicates, but let me know if you have any question there from that list. When ready, click the run cleaner button. This will clean your system of any junk files.

Then on the left, click the Registry button > Click Scan for issues > Then click Fix Selected Issues > Press yes to backup the registry and save this file to your desktop > Click Fix All Selected Issues > Close

Then restart, and do one more thing, lets try the default program listing one more time but in a different way, this time click the Windows Start button > Default programs > Set program access and computer defaults > Open the custom menu > In there make sure Internet Explorer is the default browser > Then press ok

Does Windows Live Mail work for links?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I use both parts of cc cleaner regularly ...does not help !
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ah I see, ok, just skip that part, proceed to the second part (setting IE as default again), I'll stand by
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry problem continues !!!!!
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Open Windows Mail, then click the blue button (upper left) in the Windows Live Mail program, then export mail, then select account. Select your current account, then click the export button, and save the iaf file to your desktop. This iaf file holds all your mail and contacts and syncs with your account.

Then, get Revo Uninstaller, click here: http://tinyurl.com/22scp8r

After you install and run the program, look for the Windows Live Essential program, right click it, and select uninstall > Make sure to pick the advanced mode, then click next > If you get a window like this,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Select remove one or more windows live programs > On the next page check all programs to remove

If it asks you to reboot at anytime, choose no. After it is done uninstalling, pick next > After it scans, remove all leftover registry items and folders it finds (pick Select All, then Delete) > When finished, restart, then reinstall Windows Live Essentials, click here

Open Windows Live Mail again, and try a link, keep me posted

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not only do I have the same problem but it appears I have lost all me Email messages. So far I'm not very impressed. Tried system restore to see if i could get my messages back to no avail.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I do not recommend using restore, please undo the last restore point. This is why I had you backup your account first, it's the IAF file on your desktop. Please use these steps:

Go back into Windows Live Mail, click the Blue button > export email > account > Press the import button > Select the IAF file > Press ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
restore has been undone. ( if that's a word.) anyway missing messages were my error as I missed the step to export them. However ... still have original problem. I have to run for now maybe we can try this again tomorrow sometime !!!!
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I understand, unfortunately I am out of ideas, however I will opt out and let all experts take a crack at this. You can post back anytime and will get an email when someone has posted back.

Thank you,
Bernie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for trying ..... The problem has a work around .... just have to make sure IE is open.