Jason
Jason, Computer Expert
Experience: 
Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

Just purchased a Motorola "SURFboard SBG6580" Cable Modem Gateway.

Customer Question

Just purchased a Motorola "SURFboard SBG6580" Cable Modem Gateway. I have it connected to the cable internet and "generally", it is working… Basically, I can access the internet, but that's about it! Any further "tweaks" and security setting adjustments I would have liked to investigate and use, are out of reach for me since the official Motorola "User Guide" is completely useless and calling Motorola for initial setup support is a total waste of time! Do you think you could help me? Please????
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Hello and thank you for the request,

Computer Extraordinaire :

Please, let me know when you are ready to begin.

Computer Extraordinaire :

I will be standing by, only a few moments away.

Customer :

I'm here… and ready!! :)

Computer Extraordinaire :

Hello

Computer Extraordinaire :

I hope your day is going well.

Computer Extraordinaire :

What exactly do you need help with today?

Customer :

not too bad… after talking to Motorola last evening, it can only get better from there! :)

Customer :

well, first and most importantly I want to change the 20 digit pre-shared key, which I do not want to keep!

Computer Extraordinaire :

Okay, that is a good idea.

Computer Extraordinaire :

May I please, remote into your computer so that I can better help you resolve this problem?

Computer Extraordinaire :

I will do this remote for you, this time at no extra cost.

Customer :

the key has been already been compromised (one of my teenage daughters got a hold of it when unpacked the modem and the extra stickers with all the passwords etc. fell out and I didn't notice… )

Computer Extraordinaire :

I see...

Computer Extraordinaire :

Thank you.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=26c01a2a-911b-4cb3-9ab2-cc13c178fea1&SUPPORT=OSX

Customer :

hmmm….. I really would like to know how this is done and what else I can tweak as far as security settings goes so I don't have uninvited users, yet allow access to XBox Live and apple portable devices

Customer :

I'm not too keen on remote desktop access…. I'm very sorry

Computer Extraordinaire :

Oh...

Customer :

is there another way?

Computer Extraordinaire :

That is okay.

Computer Extraordinaire :

There is always another way :)

Computer Extraordinaire :

I do the remote thing at least a couple thousand times each month, with no problems.

Customer :

I am not as green as most women are when it comes to computers, but I don't pretend to be an expert either

Computer Extraordinaire :

Are you able to log into the Gateway's configuration?

Customer :

I know my way around and know my own equipment fairly well… and I am good at following directions without any problems

Customer :

yes

Computer Extraordinaire :

Okay, great.

Customer :

really sorry about that, I hope I have not offended you… It's my own paranoia at fault here… but I will try to follow every instruction without making it difficult for you

Computer Extraordinaire :

Not a problem :)

Computer Extraordinaire :

I totally understand.

Customer :

do you want me to access the gateway setup?

Computer Extraordinaire :

Yes, please.

Computer Extraordinaire :

On the router page, please click the Wireless link on the top right.

Customer :

sure… one moment

Computer Extraordinaire :

Then click the Primary Network link on the left side.

Customer :

done and done

Computer Extraordinaire :

On that page, verify that WPA & WPA2 encryption is enabled.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Now you can simply change the pre-shared key and click Save/Apply.

Customer :

WPA and WPA2 are disabled right now… should I change it?

Computer Extraordinaire :

Yes, please.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Also, if you want to keep your daughter and her friends out of the router configuration, you should change the router's default log in password.

Customer :

that I did yesterday… :)

Computer Extraordinaire :

Lovely :)

Customer :

first thing before even I had it hooked up to the cable internet

Computer Extraordinaire :

:)

Computer Extraordinaire :

Ok, as of now, your system is secure.

Customer :

ok… WPA and WPA2 - checked

Computer Extraordinaire :

Good good.

Customer :

I mean DONE

Computer Extraordinaire :

Please, enter a pre-shared key/passphrase and save that.

Customer :

ok… here we go… what I had questions about

Customer :

I can enter a custom combo, any digits/characters? Any limitation?

Computer Extraordinaire :

You can enter anything you wish. The minimum size is 8 characters and the max is 63

Customer :

as long as I can remember, right? :)

Computer Extraordinaire :

:)

Computer Extraordinaire :

Exactly

Customer :

well, no go…. anything else I need to uncheck before the input becomes available?

Computer Extraordinaire :

.

Computer Extraordinaire :

I do not understand.

Computer Extraordinaire :

What is chosen for the "Shared Key Authentication" value?

Computer Extraordinaire :

Did I lose you? :(

Customer :

WPA/WPA2 encription is AES

Computer Extraordinaire :

Very good

Customer :
WPA/WPA2 Encryption AES
WPA Pre-Shared Key
Show Key
RADIUS Server
RADIUS Port
RADIUS Key

Computer Extraordinaire :

Are you able to enter the password and save it?

Customer :

the WPA Pre-Shared Key is grayed out

Customer :

that's it… didn't save it… duh

Computer Extraordinaire :

Ah :)

Computer Extraordinaire :

Thank you.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Yes, as of now, your system is secure.

Customer :

really feel like a do-do...

Computer Extraordinaire :

Not even I could crack your network.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Is there anything else I can help with?

Computer Extraordinaire :

Okay.

Computer Extraordinaire :

You seem to have left the chatroom without clicking the Accept button.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Please, do not forget to click the Accept button on the bottom right of the page. That is the only way this site gives us experts credit for helping.

Computer Extraordinaire :

I will be standing by if you have any more questions.

Customer :

hello?

Customer :

are you still here?

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
You may click the green ACCEPT ANSWER button on the bottom right of your screen now and leave any feedback for me that you feel is appropriate.

Thank you,
- Jason

If you ever want to work with me as your expert in the future, please bookmark the following website. You can ask any future questions directly to me and I will be the expert assigned to your case: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-theextraordinaire/