YavacoTech
YavacoTech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  50 years experience in electronics - PC instruction, repair, networking and operating systems.

I had to restore my HP Pavillion g series computer (3 months

Customer Question

I had to restore my HP Pavillion g series computer (3 months old) to its original factory settings due to a virus. I followed the HP directions for factory re-booting and copied my documents ( pictures and some office docs) to a thumb drive. When the computer reset itself, it asked me to put the drive in and it downloaded the files. I now have a link on my desktop to the file. Problem is I can't figure out how to restore the files. There is no set-up icon, no "run" on the right-click menu, no .exe files. How do I get my files back?
Category: Computer
Expert:  YavacoTech replied 2 years ago.

Hi, My name is XXXX XXX I'm looking forward to helping you resolve your computer related problems.

I'm composing an answer for you - please wait one.

Thanks,

Rich

Yavacotech

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure how this site works.... I guess I will keep this window up and see if you come back.

From what you indicated, it sounds like you backed up you data files but you can't access them because the applications programs that created these files are no longer on the Hard Drive.

You will have to re-install all your applications programs like Microsoft Office, Quicken, Turbo-tax etc. in order to open these files. You will also have to go to http://www.microsoft.com/updates and download all Xp security updates (and perhaps service pack 3 also if it was not restored). You will also need a free anti virus program (Microsoft security essentials is a good one) www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ and an anti-malware program. http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Message me back with any questions.

Regards,

Rich

Yavacotech

The approach to problem solving is half the battle!

To work with me directly on FUTURE (not the present) computer issues, please bookmark the following URL:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-yavacotech

Then start you new question with "For Yavacotech Only" Thanks, Rich

NOTE: The ONLY way that I can be paid by JA for helping you is if you click ACCEPT! While an optional bonus is always appreciated, POSITIVE FEEDBACK is very important to me. In order to submit your feedback rating and comment, you MUST click one of the two "leave feedback" LINKS located in the bottom right corner of your acceptance page!

Please do not leave negative feedback. Message me back and if I cannot resolve your problem, I will open it to all Computer Experts to save you time (at no additional cost to you). Also, if you are an active subscription customer, clicking on ACCEPT will NOT result in your being charged for my answer, as my answer will be paid for by Just Answer under the terms of your subscription.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The "locked" documents are 95% pictures, not from any program, just in my pictures/documents. I had MS security essentials, Avast!, and antimaleware on computer before I restored it. I have a 90 day trial of Norton running now. I will try the updates from MS, but I don't know if that will allow me to restore the files. The pictures are my greatest concern.

~Mark

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Rich, is it possible for you to call? This process seems a bit slow and tedious!

Mark XXX-XXX-XXXX

The Microsoft updates are advised, but that will not fix your problem. (By the way, forget what I said about service pack 3 - I was thinking about XP)

In my computer see if all your pictures are listed (usually files with .jpg extensions) on you thumb drive. if they are, check your my pictures folder. If the pictures are not there, copy them into the folder from the thumb drive.

Sorry, JA does not permit telephone correspondence.

Regards,

Rich

Yavacotech

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Rich,

There aren't any jpegs in the files I see, although I did see them uploading from the thumb drive. The short cut on the desktop is "system recovery files" and takes me to the C drive. Many folders, but no way to open, run or execute anything.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found a bunch of files... extensions are .swm . That's an ImageX file. Maybe I need to download that program?

Before you did the factory restore did you copy the my pictures folder to your thumb drive.. If you did the folder should be listed when you open the thumb drive in my computer. If it is listed, you should be able to reverse the process - copy the My Pictures folder from the thumb drive to the my pictures folder on your hard drive.

If that is the program that created the files, then, yes, you have to download it.

Regards,

Rich

Yavacotech

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't specifically load the files onto the backup thumb drive. The HP recovery manager gave me the option of what to load... I chose pictures and office documents. As the thumb drive loaded and unloaded, I saw the pictures extensions going by. I know they're here, I just cant get at them.

Sorry, I thought you manually backed up the files you wanted to save. I don't have the information on how to restore files using HP recovery manager. I'll save you time by opting-out and opening this question to all computer experts. They will be able to read our correspondence and pick up from this point. Do NOT click ACCEPT - wait for another expert to reply.

Best Regards,

Rich

Yavacotech

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just downloaded the thumb drive again (now I have three system recovery files) I see all my pictures (names and .jpg) being downloaded. I simply cannot find them in the System recovery file. Ugh. I will wait for someone else to chime in. Thanks Rich.

~Mark

Hi again,

After searching the net I found the information that you need. (See below and then click on the following URL to go to the site: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Desktop-PC-Questions/Restore-wim-files-after-a-System-Recovery/td-p/236581

NOTE the comment about the procedure only applies to Vista. Down at the bottom of the page click on the link labeled "here" for instructions for Windows 7.

Hope this works for you.

Rich

Yavacotech

I used HP Recovery Manager to back up all my data files before a full System Recovery and now I can't restore the backed up files. Recovery Manager saved all files as .wim files and no one at HP tech support knows how to restore these files. I have copies the files to my desktop but can't access the data. How do I convert these back to music, photo, document files and then restore them to my document folders?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Rich,

I downloaded 7zip this morning; but don't know how to apply it to the problem. I don't know what a "mount folder" is or how to extract and convert the files.

Hi Mark,

I hoped that link would provide instructions.Perhaps you should re-list the question. Word it as: "I need help restoring files backed up by HP recovery manager." Indicate that the OS is Windows 7. (No-one replied after I opted-out)

Regards,

Rich

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, Rich, thanks all the same.

How do I get out of here and repost the question?

Mark

You could just ignore this question and list your new one - this one will time out. Also, you may have an option to re-list the question You could request a deposit refund from customer service at http://www.justanswer.com/contact-us but you will have to re-apply it to the re new question anyway.

Regards,

Rich

Yavacotech