Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

My Webcam freezes when I use Skype

My Webcam freezes when I use Skype
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

Does it freeze instantly and totally or does it just randomly freeze for a few seconds or minutes

If the first you probably have either the wrong driver or the wrong cam selected in skype or you have more than one program trying to access it.

In skype go to

tools / options / video settings

you should see the picture from your webcam.

or a screen to set it up

Let me know what is there and how it is working when you are not on a skype call

If the second that is usually a function of skype the power of your computer and internet conditions between you and the party you are calling. There is a signal strength bar on the info part of the skype window when the call is in progress. If it is yellow or red you are not going to get enough bandwidth between you to keep the cam going without jerks and stoppages.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I go to tools/options/video settings, I do see the picture from the webcam.

If the signal bar is yellow or red during a call how can that be corrected?

My webcam freezes about 5 minutes into the call and stays frozen.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

The signal strenth really cant be corrected its not a setting its just a measure of how much bandwidth is between you and the other party. The same as the signal strength bars on a cell phone. You can wait and see if it improves or hang up and call back again. Sometimes its better if one person calls vs the other one.

Is it only during calls? If you leave the cam up on the settings page does it freeze after the same amount of time or keep going ?

The one thing that i have found that might help is to download the business version of skype. Its laid out slightly differently but will accept non business non paid skype accounts. I have found it to be a little more stable than the normal skype.

Skype will tend to freeze and get choppy occasionally or if the internet conditions are not great. but it SHOULD pick up again in a minute or two. The business version may do that a bit better than the home version

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/business/download/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will have to get back to you later. I will try the business Skype and get back to you.

I have to go ou for a few hours.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

Ok post back whenever you have a chance to try it.

thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I downloaded the business version of Skype and called a contact; my video cam froze within one minute and stayed frozen.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
Have you got anything else running that can use the webcam ? Something like yahoo or msn messenger ? Does it freeze on those ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I don't have anything else that can use webcam.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

Ok i would have liked to try that in order to see if its the webcam itself having problems or the skype.

Try this

go to control panel / system and hardware / hardware / device manager

find the webcam on the list of devices

highlight it and hit delete on your keyboard.

It will either just disapear or give you a choice you want to UNINSTALL it NOT disable it

then reboot your computer and it should reinstall itself.

If that doesnt work try temporarily disabling your firewall skype will switch ports if it needs to and that may have some of the ones it wants to use blocked. Does the call continue so that you can still hear each other ? can you still see the other person ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the call does continueso that we can still hear each other and I can still see my contact.

I went into my control panel and cannot find webcam on the list of devices.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

it is in the DEVICE MANAGER

under system and security in the control panel

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I went into Device manager under system and security in the control panel and webcam is not in the list
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
It should be there. On my system it is under imaging devices and it says usb video device so it may not say "webcam"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did what you suggested on control panel, etc , rebooted and webcam did reinstall

I think I will have to accept the fact that my computer does not have enough bandwidth. I tested the webcam on Skype and it still freezes within a minute.

I am tired of trying anything else. I likely will have to buy a new computer someday.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

I have actually had better luck with a $10 external webcam from ebay than with the $60 logitech i had before.

Skype is also a free program and it depends alot on web conditions as to how well it works. and distance and internet conditions on the other end make a big difference as well. I can usually talk from minesota to detroit with only a few glitches. to texas its like 50 / 50 how well it works. and i tried somebody in israel and no matter how many times we tried we were lucky to get even audio without a lot of glitches the webcam wouldnt work at all

If your internet provider has more than one level of service you might think about trying a more expensive one with more bandwidth. But it is also very dependant on who and where you are talking to. You really need to try to talk with somebody fairly local with a good connection before you can say that the problem is on your end.

I am sorry that i couldnt be more helpful. But honestly i think it is just a lack of bandwidth between you and the person you are talking to and there is not that much that can be done about it.

As an expert I only get paid if you click on the accept button. So if you feel that i gave the correct answer in a professional manner I would apreciate if you clicked on the accept button for me. It will not charge you additional money but allows me to be paid from your deposit or subscription plan.

It is your choice whether you accept or not of course. For explanations of how the site works and your individual plan or any billing questions including refunds you need to email support@justanswer.com

thanks and have a great day.

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for all the work you put into my problem with my webcam. I appreciate it very much. I do accept what you said about the bandwidth.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
thank you very much for the accept and the bonus