tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  3+ years Computer Support Specialist County School System, 3+ years Networking Specialist

start dst short test fail - error code 1000-0146 starts to

Customer Question

start dst short test fail - error code 1000-0146 starts to boot up and then gets stuck on a black screen. How do I fix this
Category: Computer
Expert:  tbwhite2040 replied 2 years ago.

tbwhite2040 :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will assist you in finding an answer to your question.

tbwhite2040 :

The dst short test means that the hard drive has failed and it will need to be replaced

Customer:

great - thanks

Customer:

I'm greg

tbwhite2040 :

Hi greg

Customer:

so here is what happened - the battery went dead on my computer as I was loading up office.

Customer:

I plugged it in and when I hit the power button it came right back on and said it finished the download

Customer:

I restarted the laptop and as it booted up it just went to a black screen

Customer:

I ran the diagnostic test and it failed at the dst short test

Customer:

all other tests passed

Customer:

dst short test had the 1000-0146 error

Customer:

it's a dell latitude d600

tbwhite2040 :

The short test that you ran was a hard drive diagnostics test that checks the short write and the long test writes to the whole drive to test it. The error that you received means that the hard drive has failed and will need replacing

Customer:

wow - really? there is no fix?

Customer:

would that be caused by the screw-up with loading the software?

tbwhite2040 :

Unfortunately not because the hard drive has crashed. I see this on Dell computers all the time and it could have been a power issue when your computer shut down quickly

Customer:

ugh - ok - thanks

tbwhite2040 :

If I have answered your question please click the Accept button and leave positive feedback

tbwhite2040 :

And have happy holidays

tbwhite2040 :

We could try troubleshooting the hard drive but it would be wasting both of our times if the short test failed

tbwhite2040 :

Hello are you there?

Customer:

hi

Customer:

sorry - thanks you did what you could - appreciate the help

Experience: 3+ years Computer Support Specialist County School System, 3+ years Networking Specialist