B. Rath
B. Rath, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer/Networking Support Specialist.

serp.freecause.com is stopping my internet connection. What

Customer Question

serp.freecause.com is stopping my internet connection. What can I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  B. Rath replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Could you provide further details about your issue, please? What comes up when you try to access any webpage, e.g. www.google.com?

Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I leave my computer on, it will disconnect from the internet after about 3 hours and won't come on again until I restart it. I can work offline, it isn't the computer itself but the connection. I was told that serp.Freecause.com is malware, but what do I do?
Expert:  B. Rath replied 2 years ago.
I see; that specific entity is not necessarily malware, but may be classified as "Adware".

Now, does this happen with BOTH Firefox and Internet Explorer?

Also, when did this first start happening?

Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, I think it works on anything I do to get onto the internet. For instance, I cannot get my email or anything else from the web. I started about three weeks ago and would shut down in the middle of work. I thought it was just something I was doing as I was doing a lot of online shopping. Now it doesn't close down as fast, but will definitely close down when the computer is left alone for two to three hours or more.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 2 years ago.
Okay; just one more thing: this happens with the Firefox browser only? Have you tried testing with the Internet Explorer browser as well?

Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know that I have tried Internet Explorer but I think I have. Also, why does it happen with my email if it is Firefox only?
Expert:  B. Rath replied 2 years ago.
This might be an issue with your browser itself, and not necessarily malware.

Now, let's reset your Firefox browser first, as follows:

First off, please click on the orange Firefox tab at the top-left in Firefox, then click Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled > Ok. Now, Firefox will close and a dialog box will come up - check all of the options EXCEPT for the one to delete your bookmarks, then click "Make changes and restart".

Now, Firefox will come up the default way.

Done that, to make sure that a virus/malware isn't causing this issue either, download the following freeware (don't buy anything) security program, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/malwarebytes-anti-malware (click the blue 'Download now' button next to the down arrow icon)

Download, run and install the same, then carry out a quick system scan using the program, and remove the security threats detected, if any.

This should do it.

Regards
B. Rath, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Computer/Networking Support Specialist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was gone for the evening and when I returned I could not get back on the internet. here is the message I received:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at payments.ebay.com.

*Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web

This is the same message that comes on no matter what web site I am trying to find (ebay just happened to be where I was going). But, I also cannot get onto my email site that is through mediacom (our network provider) Can you help me as the other did not work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going to try the full scan on the malware location as the short one did not show any problems. I will check back in the morning. Thank you. Julie
Expert:  B. Rath replied 2 years ago.
I see, please keep me posted. Also, when did this issue first start happening?

Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had to be gone this morning but am now back working. I ran the complete malware scan last night. 5 areas showed up infected. I removed these, turned off and restarted the computer and still got the same message that Firefox can't find the server at whatever web site I am trying to open. It must have something to do with that serp.freecause.com. I don't mind paying the $42.00, but need to get this thing solved before commenting on the Expert that helped me. I wondered if it could be the wifi connection except that my IPad works. Can you help?
Expert:  B. Rath replied 2 years ago.
No problem. Now, when did this issue first start happening?

Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Probably about two weeks ago, but I just ignored it and kept restarting it. I did clean out several files and deleted lots of pictures, but did not help.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Now, go to Start > All Programs > Internet Explorer. Can you access the websites using this browser itself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I can. I did not think I could yesterday! Does this mean it is a Firefox issue and I should go back to using explorer?
Expert:  B. Rath replied 2 years ago.
I see; this is a browser-related issue.

Now, did you reset your Firefox browser yesterday, as follows:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I did it yesterday but it did not work.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 2 years ago.
Now, in Firefox, click on the orange tab, click Options > Options. Click on the Advanced tab, then click Network > Settings button. What's the option selected there?

Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
use system proxy settings
Expert:  B. Rath replied 2 years ago.
Please set it to 'No proxy' now, then click Ok. Can you access websites using FF now?

Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
GREAT! That did it! I hope it will be ok, now. I will definite write a positive note for you or whoever figured this out for me. Thanks, XXXX X won't be refering to this again! Julie
Expert:  B. Rath replied 2 years ago.
No problem! You may leave feedback for me here:
http://www.justanswer.com/feedback/leave-feedback.aspx

Thank you!