Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.

'skype home unavailable' message

I am getting a message 'skype home unavailable'

I tried uninstalling the program, turning off my computer and installing it again.

I then installed the latest version. Didn't fix it.

Also, tried turning off security systems, again, no luck Any ideas of what might be the problem

When I click on the shortcut button for skype, it seems to load ok, but as soon as I try to make a call or send a message, it closes down??

Computer OS: Windows Vista
Browser: IE

Already Tried:
1) disengaging windows security system and also mcAfee, 2) uninstalled my program, turned off the computer and installed the latest version. When I click on the shortcut, my home page appears, but as soon as I try to contact somebody or leave a message, it cuts out and I get a message saying I should download the latest version. Already done that ???

Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

First off, please go to Start (the blue globe icon at the bottom-left corner of your screen), type in %appdata% in the "Start Search" field, and press ENTER. In the folder that comes up, do you see a Skype folder listed?

If so, right-click and delete that folder (or rename it to anything else, e.g. SkypeOLD), then re-open Skype.

Does this resolve your issue with the program all right?

Keep me posted.