tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years Computer Support Specialist County School System, 3+ years Networking Specialist
35117564

How can I keep my Gateway NV79 from overheating and shutting

How can I keep my Gateway NV79 from overheating and shutting down?

tbwhite2040 :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you in finding an answer to your question.

Customer:

Hi Thanks for your help

tbwhite2040 :

You need to make sure the heatsink and fan is not clogged with dirt and then make sure the heatsink is touching the video chip and processor

Customer:

I'm afraid I am a novice and don't know where to locate the heatsink

tbwhite2040 :

This is a laptop right?

Customer:

yes

tbwhite2040 :

The laptop will have to be taken apart and the heatsink and fan checked to make sure it is working properly or is not clogged with dirt. When you turn the laptop on and put your ear up to the rear of the laptop where the vent is, do you hear the fan running

Customer:

i hear the fan running

tbwhite2040 :

Is it runing louder than usual?

tbwhite2040 :

running

Customer:

not at this time but I have experienced it "kick in" for a few moments

tbwhite2040 :

Since the internal fan is working then the heatsink paste that is between the heatsink and processor needs to be checked to make sure there is enough of it on the processor and heatsink. Unfortunately it would probably be better to have an authorized service provider check this because it involves taking the laptop completely apart

Customer:

Okay. I will take this to a company that I trust in our area. Thank you for your help. I was hoping I could fix it here but I know that was a longshot. Thanks again

tbwhite2040 :

You are welcome and if I have answered your question please click Accept and leave positive feedback